Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think two hours homework a night is not excessive for a year 10 pupil

438 replies

Challenger5 · 03/10/2022 20:49

DD 1 is adamant that two hours a night homework, is against her human rights. She has been stomping around, refusing to start her homework. DD 1 is being exceptionally rude to me swearing at me for sending her to a prison camp and claiming to be-having a nervous breakdown due to the schools expectations.

I am trying to calm her down and reason with her, that two hours a night is quite proportionate for a year 10 girl at a Grammar School. This especially as the school as stated her target grades are 7-9 in all ten GCSE subjects.

She has also informed me that her head of year as given her a after school detention, today for calling her English teacher a 'mean cow' for a poor homework mark. DD denies calling the teacher that, saying she was misheard when she pulled her face at the teacher.

DD is saying the detention is unfair and against her human rights because it is grossly an excessive punishment even if she had accidentally muttered 'mean cow' when the teacher spoke to her. DD argues that her face pulling was justified because someone has to stand up against the schools unrealistic and unreasonable levels of homework demanded.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Tigofigo · 03/10/2022 20:51

What hours is she at school?

Please
or

CuriousCatfish · 03/10/2022 20:52

I think 2 hours of homework a night is too much. I'm with your DD.

Please
or

hamstersarse · 03/10/2022 20:53

I think that’s a bit much too 😬

GCSEs shouldn’t be that hard

Please
or

FoxandFeathers · 03/10/2022 20:53

Well done for being reasonable with her. Keep being realistic with her and reinforcing respect for her teachers isn’t optional. She will come through it if you’re consistent and keep the hugs readily available. You’re doing a great job!

Please
or

WhereYouLeftIt · 03/10/2022 20:54

2 hours a night, every night, is excessive.

But she does seem to have a bit of an obsession about 'her human rights'.Grin

Please
or

Sunnyqueen · 03/10/2022 20:54

An hour is fair enough but two yeah it is too much, definitely. That's no time for any extra curricular activities either.

Please
or

Mumofsend · 03/10/2022 20:55

2 hours a night is ridiculous. 45-60 minutes is more than adequate

Please
or

Darbs76 · 03/10/2022 20:55

It is a lot but it’s the start of GCSE’s and if she’s wanting grades of 7-9 then a lot of work does have to go into that. My DS2 got all 9’s bar 2 and 3 x A* in his A levels this year and he put in a huge amount of work. DD has just started year 10, she doesn’t have 2hrs a night, but she’s not in a grammar school. I wouldn’t entertain any stomping around or kids being rude to me as that’s where I draw the line (very lenient in many ways). I’d also tell my DD the school will issue punishments as they see fit, she probably did call the teacher a mean cow, I doubt they’d make it up

Please
or

HScully · 03/10/2022 20:55

I think 2 hours is a lot, an hour is plenty, I'd expect some nights a bit less some a little more.

2 hours a night she will struggle to concentrate and be counter productive

Please
or

matisseshand · 03/10/2022 20:55

I think it’s a lot but I can imagine the standards are high in a grammar school and they expect good results from their pupils.

im in Scotland so have no real knowledge of grammar schools but presumably they select the brightest kids so think this is manageable for them

Please
or

Snugglemonkey · 03/10/2022 20:55

I think 2 hours a night is ridiculous.

Please
or

Sarasandman · 03/10/2022 20:56

Entirely with your daughter here. Two hours is a lot and children are under a lot of strain. Having target grades can put a lot of pressure on top. And the teacher does sound mean if she gave a detention for poor homework; however, though understandable, making faces and calling names isn't advisable.

Please
or

LegoFiends · 03/10/2022 20:56

I would have loved to have only had two hours a week of homework in the fourth form. Seems completely normal.

Please
or

JoshLymanIsHotterThanSam · 03/10/2022 20:57

DS1 is in year 10 at Grammar (and one that is highly selective to boot). He gets about half an hour to an hour of homework a night. I went to grammar and I don’t remember getting more than an hours worth a night either.

Your DD is right-it’s too much.

Please
or

maddening · 03/10/2022 20:58

If she is in school 9-3 then 2 hours is fine at year 10 - working hours are 9-5 so bearing in mind she has no caring duties or is running a household then schooling of 9-5 including homework is not against any rights - least of all her human rights 😅. Perhaps set her an essay on what constitutes true human rights abuse as a perspective against her own self entitled world.

Please
or

MrsHamlet · 03/10/2022 20:59

I'd have given her a detention for poor homework, and she'd have a day in isolation for calling any member of staff a "mean cow", regardless of whether it was aimed at them or not.

Please
or

MinervaTerrathorn · 03/10/2022 21:00

Two hours is too much. If they need that much homework to get the grades the school expects then either the school is full of kids who only got in with tutoring, or the school is expecting too much. DS had nowhere near that much at his grammar.

Please
or

HScully · 03/10/2022 21:00

LegoFiends · 03/10/2022 20:56

I would have loved to have only had two hours a week of homework in the fourth form. Seems completely normal.

It's 2 hours a night....

Please
or

declutteringmymind · 03/10/2022 21:00

It sounds like she's going through a bit of a rebellious stage. It's all part of her development.

Take her for a coffee or something and explain that it's a guide, not a prescription. As long as she completes her work the best she can you're not going to enforce it strictly. If you get messages home about her poor attitude then you'll have to treat her as a child.

Also explain to her that this is now high stakes results, ultimately it's up to her but you are not being a good parent if you don't support the school.

Her behaviour toward her teacher was disgusting and you are right to pull her up.

Good for you for raising a child that can stick up for herself though. Obviously this will backfire every now and then.

It will be fine. Part of being a good parent is tearing your hair out.

Please
or

FlorettaB · 03/10/2022 21:00

90 minutes a night at GCSE and 3 hours a night at A level. Two hours seems excessive.

Please
or

Sarasandman · 03/10/2022 21:01

GCSEs shouldn't require that much work if the children are extra bright. A selective school should already have taught them to a high enough standard, so that by the time they reach GCSE exam time it isn't too difficult. At my private school we had already covered GCSE level a year or two early in most subjects, so we're well-versed in the exams and bored by the time we sat them. I got mostly As and only revised for one or two subjects.
If the school is setting that much homework and pupils are not happy it suggests they're falling short in their teaching standards.

Please
or

SammyScrounge · 03/10/2022 21:01

Back the school and let them deal with her. You know she didn:t 'accidentally' mutter an unpleasant name at the teacher. She is being as unpleasant to staff at school as she is to you at home. All her human rights are a pipe dream. If the school decides to suspend her, or move her to a less ambitious class where there are other children like her, let them. She has earned it.

Please
or

Sierra259 · 03/10/2022 21:01

I'm sure we were getting about that much every night when I was in Year 10 - by the time you take into account homework for 2-3 subjects, filling 2 hours doesn't take that much! Her tantrum about it might be a sign of deeper stress and general unhappiness though. Grammar schools do tend to put more pressure on the pupils for results and maybe she's feeling that and that's why she's lashing out?

Please
or

LivingMyBestLie · 03/10/2022 21:02

Two hours is too much. It's not conducive to good mental health.

I went to a grammar school and never did two hours a night. I went to university and did well.

Let her take the pressure off. Embrace her strong values and sense of self. One hour should be more than enough.

Not every child is an A* pupil. If rather mine got Cs with good mental health than As but felt immense stress

Please
or

catsonahottinroof · 03/10/2022 21:02

I'm with your daughter and it must be a pretty poor school if they have to rely on students doing all this extra study to obtain their results. My dd2's school only set 10 minutes of maths homework a week, apart from revising for tests etc, and art coursework. They still got good results!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?