Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

DON'T FEED STRANGERS CATS!!!!

89 replies

Itshotoutthere · 03/10/2022 18:03

My cat has a sensitive stomach - someone has been feeding him and making him Ill. He's always an indoor/ outdoor cat he has PLENTY of food at home . I can't put a collar on him as he loses/ someone takes them off. Grrr

OP posts:
InCheesusWeTrust · 03/10/2022 20:05

user16480478 · 03/10/2022 19:59

I bet hardly any people feed strange cats, why would you, they are mainly scavenging

No. They just put pics of them on facebook with "he looks lost, anyone is missing him?" After the well fed cat passes their backyard😁

MidnightMeltdown · 03/10/2022 20:11

I leave out food that my cats don't eat for local wildlife. I don't know who eats it but it always goes

It might not be the case that someone is deliberately feeding your cat

reallyworriedjobhunter · 03/10/2022 20:15

One of the cats of our street sneaks into our house and eats our cat's food. The two cats are friends and spend a lot of time together.

I know the owners and have told them - their cat is a bit overweight. But there is not much more I can do to stop him.

We have a cat flap that only lets my cat in but my cat uses his microchip like key and lets his friend in by sitting close to the flap so it picks up his signal. It's a terrace and the neighbours' cat comes in through the attic windows by waking along the whole row of houses. I put him out when I find him but he manages to get in a few times a day.

WhiteFire · 03/10/2022 20:18

reallyworriedjobhunter · 03/10/2022 20:15

One of the cats of our street sneaks into our house and eats our cat's food. The two cats are friends and spend a lot of time together.

I know the owners and have told them - their cat is a bit overweight. But there is not much more I can do to stop him.

We have a cat flap that only lets my cat in but my cat uses his microchip like key and lets his friend in by sitting close to the flap so it picks up his signal. It's a terrace and the neighbours' cat comes in through the attic windows by waking along the whole row of houses. I put him out when I find him but he manages to get in a few times a day.

That's so funny.

user16480478 · 03/10/2022 20:19

We caught one on camera last night, it was at the hedgehog bowl several times, don't people realise that Tiddles isn't in for beddy byes or don't cats sleep at night

Willbe2under2 · 03/10/2022 20:26

WhiteFire · 03/10/2022 18:40

Cats snaffling hedgehog food seems to be a common occurrence.

The foxes will eat it as well, we have some great shots (wildlife camera) of a fox and a hedgehog tucking in together.

@WhiteFire photo or it didn't happen 😁

(Not that I don't believe you, I just want a photo)

Halstead · 03/10/2022 20:27

WhiteFire · 03/10/2022 19:59

Thank you Halstead

I'll add it to my next shop.🐿(there's no hedgehog)

I’ve got one 🦔😍

Toddlerteaplease · 03/10/2022 20:28

My parents cat had a collar that said "Don't feed me" they had to tell him it said "very handsome cat" on it.

2X4B523P · 03/10/2022 20:37

Another one who had a random cat coming in my house, via the cat flap and stealing my cats food. Once I noticed I cling filmed bowl and put in cupboard if there was any leftovers and gave it to him later if still edible.

TheHoover · 03/10/2022 20:38

There was a programme on that called ‘secret lives of bastard cats’ I think.
really sad watching cats terrorised in your own home.
OP how do you know that isn’t your cat?

Oopsiedaisyy · 03/10/2022 20:39

My cat goes into the neighbours house and opens cupboards and steals off with packets of cat food🤷‍♀️

NotJustAnybody · 03/10/2022 20:41

How bloody ridiculous. You have no control over your cat, what it does, where it goes, where it poo's and pee's, whether it catches mice and eats them. Whether it eats some other cat's food or random trash.
Best idea is to put up posters in your neighborhood.

RedWingBoots · 03/10/2022 20:52

Oopsiedaisyy · 03/10/2022 20:39

My cat goes into the neighbours house and opens cupboards and steals off with packets of cat food🤷‍♀️

Clever.

Did your cat befriend the cat that lives in that house?

While one of my neighbours' cats has no cat friends, all the other cats I know seem to have at least one. They then allow these friends to share use of their human servants resources.

Oopsiedaisyy · 03/10/2022 21:27

He's reached an understanding with the neighbour's cat: your house is my house, and my house is not yours (although neighbours cat does wander in from time to time just to prove a point I think)

He grew up as a street cat in the middle east so has pretty good survival skills and good at finding food.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.