Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

DON'T FEED STRANGERS CATS!!!!

89 replies

Itshotoutthere · 03/10/2022 18:03

My cat has a sensitive stomach - someone has been feeding him and making him Ill. He's always an indoor/ outdoor cat he has PLENTY of food at home . I can't put a collar on him as he loses/ someone takes them off. Grrr

OP posts:
Dreikanter · 03/10/2022 18:22

Stick a few “Do Not Feed This Cat” posters up with a suitably grumpy cat photo.

Cyw2018 · 03/10/2022 18:24

If you want to control what your pet eats, then control your pet.

Getoff · 03/10/2022 18:24

lannistunut · 03/10/2022 18:12

Cat owners can't have it both ways up. If you can't stop your cats shitting in other speople's gardens, you can't stop other people feeding your cats.

You either own the cat or you don't.

A decent owner can't stop a cat going where it wants to. A decent non-owner can easily avoid feeding a cat they know doesn't belong to them.

ErrolTheDragon · 03/10/2022 18:28

If he's a light coloured cat, write 'do not feed me' on him with a sharpie at regular intervals?
Long term, get hairless cats and tattoo the message...

Seriously, obviously people shouldn't deliberately feed cats that aren't theirs. And if they are leaving food down for strays or wildlife it shouldn't include milk or anything else liable to upset their digestion.

Halstead · 03/10/2022 18:32

I put kitten food out for hedgehogs every night. Sometimes cats eat it.

If your cat’s tummy is that bad, it needs to be kept in a controlled area. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes, I also own cats, and yes, I have, in the past, cat proofed my garden so they can’t leave.

YellowTreeHouse · 03/10/2022 18:32

Keep it inside, then.

You can’t absolve all responsibility of the animals and let them shit everywhere but then say people can’t feed them. Pick a lane.

YellowTreeHouse · 03/10/2022 18:34

Getoff · 03/10/2022 18:24

A decent owner can't stop a cat going where it wants to. A decent non-owner can easily avoid feeding a cat they know doesn't belong to them.

Oh yes they can. They can catproof their garden. They just don’t want to.

user16480478 · 03/10/2022 18:34

Unfortunately a couple of cats come into our garden and stuff down the hedgehogs food, so it may not be people feeding cats but them taking food not meant for them though obviously cat doesn't know that

Pollydon · 03/10/2022 18:35

Itshotoutthere · 03/10/2022 18:08

Inflict him on strangers??? 😂😂

Why should I make him unhappy and force him to stay in? Are you insane - don't you realise the onus is on actual people not to feed unknown cats???

I've posted a couple of threads on here about people trying to give my dog treats out on walks and getting upset when I asked them not to.
People tied themselves up in knots justifying why strangers should have the right to feed my dog any old crap - apparently they are only being " nice". Not so nice for my dog when he is up all night with diarrhoea, or when he has to have another course of tablets to settle his stomach, or for me when I have another avoidable vets fee.

user16480478 · 03/10/2022 18:38

It is annoying when cats come into the garden and eat the expensive hedgehog food then has a shit amongst the veg

WhiteFire · 03/10/2022 18:38

EmeraldShamrock1 · 03/10/2022 18:09

What if it isn't left out for cats but they eat it anyway.

It might be food left for the wild fox or other animals at times when they can't find food.

We leave out hedgehog food, have seen magpies and one of the local cats tucking in. Whilst I wouldn't do any harm to the average kitty, I guess a cat with a special diet it may.

WhiteFire · 03/10/2022 18:40

Cats snaffling hedgehog food seems to be a common occurrence.

The foxes will eat it as well, we have some great shots (wildlife camera) of a fox and a hedgehog tucking in together.

BloodAndFire · 03/10/2022 18:41

Itshotoutthere · 03/10/2022 18:19

Bloody hell. Excuse me - I didn't realise there were grammar police on here😂😂

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about your grammar. I fucking hate having to clean up other people's cat shit in my garden though.

Floralnomad · 03/10/2022 18:41

Cat proof your garden then everybody wins - nobody else has your cats poop in their gardens , you are the only one feeding the cat and it has the added bonus of ensuring your cat doesn’t became road kill .

Halstead · 03/10/2022 18:41

user16480478 · 03/10/2022 18:38

It is annoying when cats come into the garden and eat the expensive hedgehog food then has a shit amongst the veg

Don’t worry about buying expensive hedgehog food… low protein, high cereal content (usually) and relatively expensive.

Tesco or Sainsbury’s own brand kitten food… cheap as chips and approaching 30% protein which is what hedgehogs need to put on weight at this time of year.

LuckyLil · 03/10/2022 18:42

I agree. I'd never feed cats to strangers. I might buy them a hot drink and a sandwich but that's it!

Walkden · 03/10/2022 18:43

Next time someone whinges about a cat crapping in their garden/ lawn etc, maybe they will try unconventional approaches.

Eg if pet sonic repellant, citrus fruit etc don't work, feed them cat milk so they make a shitty mess in the owners cat tray Instead of your lawn!

WhiteFire · 03/10/2022 18:43

Halstead · 03/10/2022 18:41

Don’t worry about buying expensive hedgehog food… low protein, high cereal content (usually) and relatively expensive.

Tesco or Sainsbury’s own brand kitten food… cheap as chips and approaching 30% protein which is what hedgehogs need to put on weight at this time of year.

Is it dry kitten food you would use?

DonnaBanana · 03/10/2022 18:45

My cats are fussy so if they turn their nose up at food I stick it outside for the neighbourhood cats to eat. It always goes

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 03/10/2022 18:46

My cat went next door, ate his just cooked chicken breast and took a shit in his bath . Cats give no fucks !

But no, I'd never feed some one else's cat.

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 03/10/2022 18:46

Ate the neighbours cooked chicken breast, he hadn't made it for my cat!

PalatineHill · 03/10/2022 18:48

In the current economic climate I’d struggle to feed any strangers. But even if I was forced to rustle something up I’d definitely draw the line at cats. YANBU OP!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

BaileySharp · 03/10/2022 18:50

Yes people shouldn't feed animals who have owners feeding them, but realistically people do this even if warned not to because they selfishly want to befriend the animal. The safest way is to stop your cat wandering. I have 2 house cats so don't have these problems (and they don't crap in anyone's garden), once they're used to going out it seems mean to make them stay in, perhaps you could cat proof your garden to make it harder to leave?

user16480478 · 03/10/2022 18:52

One cat practically lives in our garden, I don't know how you can tell where they are from, it does seem to keep the pesky squirrels out a bit though. I hadn't bought kitten food for the hedgehogs as I thought it would attract the cats even more but perhaps it won't. We sometimes get foxes as well but the cats aren't deterred

onmywayamarillo · 03/10/2022 19:00

My cat is an absolute twat and eats all next doors cats food... so I now give my neighbour food for the pair of them.
This is cats they are twats

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.