Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Friend forced to sign a waiver agreeing to diet by wedding dress shop

199 replies

MotherofGoats · 27/09/2022 13:41

Shocked. My friend has ordered a very expensive wedding dress from a well-known designer.... she went to be measured this week and was told that because she was "in between" sizes she would either have to pay £450 extra to have it made to her exact size or sign a waiver agreeing to lose around a stone before her final fitting, which is four months before her actual wedding next June. Is this normal? I think it's horrifying and toxic!

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

SudocremOnEverything · 27/09/2022 13:43

They’ve clearly been burned by too many brides who wouldn’t pay the £450 to get the dress in a size that would fit, said they’d diet and then caused a big fuss when they didn’t.

she could pay the extra and order the bigger size instead.

Please
or

ZeroFuchsGiven · 27/09/2022 13:43

WTAF! Even if she lost a stone that doesnt mean a smaller size will fit, she could lose it from anywhere.

Please
or

Beachsidesunset · 27/09/2022 13:43

Or she could gain a stone and buy the next size up? Seems a reasonable solution.

Please
or

SudocremOnEverything · 27/09/2022 13:44

The waiver presumably just says it’s not their fault if she doesn’t fit the size she’s ordered.

Please
or

MiceInTgeHouse · 27/09/2022 13:45

Beachsidesunset · 27/09/2022 13:43

Or she could gain a stone and buy the next size up? Seems a reasonable solution.

I'd go for thus option!

Please
or

Formerpupil · 27/09/2022 13:45

So instead of ordering the bigger size that does fit her body and paying for alterations she’s buying a dress that is too small?

Wedding dress shops see this all the time - brides aiming to lose weight between ordering and the wedding and if they don’t then they get stuck with a dress that is too small.

Please
or

gatehouseoffleet · 27/09/2022 13:45

Completely unenforceable. Why do businesses get people to sign these completely useless waivers? Why are they so badly informed about legal obligations?

However, either she fits the dress or she doesn't. So she either needs to pay for it to be tailor-made, lose the weight (or presumably put some on for the next size up ;) ) or choose a different dress which does fit.

Please
or

WhatNoRaisins · 27/09/2022 13:45

I'm guessing they've had problems with brides not being realistic about how much weight they are going to be losing.

It would make more sense to buy the size up and take it elsewhere to be tailored surely?

Please
or

Caroffee · 27/09/2022 13:45

SudocremOnEverything · 27/09/2022 13:44

The waiver presumably just says it’s not their fault if she doesn’t fit the size she’s ordered.

Right.

Please
or

TheOnlyBeeInYourBonnet · 27/09/2022 13:46

Surely a stone is a whole size for most women?

Please
or

WantSomeEqualitea · 27/09/2022 13:46

I think that's reasonable from the shop's perspective, bride can always size up and have it altered to fit. I had similar when I was measured for a dress at 4 weeks postpartum and asked them to order a size smaller, I signed the disclaimer fully appreciating their point of view.

Please
or

Quincythequince · 27/09/2022 13:46

I think it’s fair enough.
What are they supposed to do?

Please
or

luxxlisbon · 27/09/2022 13:47

I do not believe this happened.

Please
or

BMW6 · 27/09/2022 13:47

The waiver is so she pays for the dress even if its too small cos she didn't lose the extra weight.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Please
or

LimeTwists · 27/09/2022 13:47

Is it worded as a pledge to diet? I doubt it. It’s probably more along the lines of: ‘this dress will fit in the larger size but will need some alterations costing £450 to tailor it in. If you do not opt for the larger dress, you need to be aware that the smaller dress will not fit and as it can’t be altered to make it bigger please confirm you are aware that you’ll need have smaller body measurements on the day of the final fitting.’

Totally fine. Facts are facts!

Please
or

xogossipgirlxo · 27/09/2022 13:49

She had a choice not to sign anything and go to different shop. Can't see the problem here.

Please
or

KrisAkabusi · 27/09/2022 13:50

ZeroFuchsGiven · 27/09/2022 13:43

WTAF! Even if she lost a stone that doesnt mean a smaller size will fit, she could lose it from anywhere.

She's not declaring that she will lose a stone, I guarantee its a waiver that she will buy the dress anyway, even if it doesn't fit.

Please
or

Cameleongirl · 27/09/2022 13:50

Please advise her to order the slightly larger size and have it altered closer to her wedding date. It’s so much easier to make it smaller than larger.

Please
or

MuddlerInLaw · 27/09/2022 13:50

Well … The dressmakers are not forcing her to diet, or to lose weight! Obviously. They’re simply making it clear that she agrees to buy a particular sized dress and she will have to pay the full price whether or not she can fit into the dress at the final fitting. In other words ‘no cancellation and no refund’.

They must have been stung too often in the past.

No idea if it’s normal or not - but it does seem sensible.

Please
or

Shinyhappyperson22 · 27/09/2022 13:50

I agree with the shop. I bet loads of people do this. Buy a dress that’s too small and then refuse to pay for it when they’ve not lost the weight they thought they would. Bigger dressers can be altered, smaller ones most cases not!People can be really awkward and cheeky feckers.

They aren’t forcing her to sign that she will diet, that she will purchase and
the cheaper dress more like.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 27/09/2022 13:51

Why doesn't she just buy a dress that, you know, fits...?

Please
or

Afterfire · 27/09/2022 13:51

Cameleongirl · 27/09/2022 13:50

Please advise her to order the slightly larger size and have it altered closer to her wedding date. It’s so much easier to make it smaller than larger.

This.

Please
or

MotherofGoats · 27/09/2022 13:52

She was expecting to have to pay £200 for alterations but the shop are saying because she's in between sizes she needs to pay £450 for an inbetween size. Surely the point about going to a bridal designer is that your dress is made to measure? Or am I just old-fashioned....

OP posts:
Please
or

Johnnysgirl · 27/09/2022 13:53

Caroffee · 27/09/2022 13:45

Right.

Precisely this. They don't give a shit if she loses 10 stone or gains 10 stone, once she pays for the dress without quibble.

Please
or

Hearthnhome · 27/09/2022 13:53

The waiver will be that she is ordering a different size to the one they have recommended and so they can be held to blame if it turns up and she can’t get in it.

If it’s true at all.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?