Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

People passing unhelpful comments!

110 replies

Lovetogarden2022 · 26/09/2022 15:13

This is a real bugbear of mine and it's so annoying I'm sure other people can relate 😂

Why do people feel the need to say unhelpful comments, either on here or on Facebook groups, but also in real life? It drives me mad!

For example, a few people have posted in our local group asking if there are any houses for sale under £450k, for example, and the comments underneath are "ha! You'll be lucky finding a nice property for that price round here!!"

Or another woman asked where the best place to park in town was that wasn't going to be busy or extremely expensive, and loads commented "come and have a look for yourself. Don't be so lazy" etc

The tip of the iceberg was this morning when I politely asked if anyone would be interested in coming to a public event I'm hosting and a friend said "nobody will come to that - there's something else on that weekend" (the other "event" she's referring to is happening miles away and would have no effect on my event 🤣)

It's just not helpful or constructive!!!!!

Does my head in! Is this normal or am I just being unreasonable 🤣

OP posts:
ElectedOnThursday · 26/09/2022 15:15

It’s normal for thickos.

Neverfullycharged · 26/09/2022 15:19

I hate that on here.

Style and beauty - how often do you have your hair highlighted?
Miserable sod - never. I wouldn’t waste money like that.

The doghouse - how often do you walk your dog?
Attention seeking twat - I don’t, I don’t have a dog.

Chat - what job do you do that fits in well with young children?
Class clown - I’m a SAHM.

I think it’s just attention seeking.

Lovetogarden2022 · 26/09/2022 15:35

Yes! Someone in a group I was in was having a problem with their cleaning company and someone commented "I've always done my own cleaning so have never had to put up with these problems." JUST KEEP SCROLLING!!! 🤣

OP posts:
Surtsey · 26/09/2022 15:45

I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to come up with a comment that is both witty and unhelpful.

Can't think of anything. Soz.

Grin

ShirleyPhallus · 26/09/2022 15:51

Yeah it’s fucking annoying. It’s also annoying when people who have no experience or frame of reference for the situation pass judgement and comment on it.

Ie I had a thread here on asking about nannies vs nurseries and got some comments asking why I had children if I didn’t want to look after them myself. Like I’m the only person ever in need of childcare!

TigerRag · 26/09/2022 15:51

I have a friend who does this. I've had "never heard of it" (wasn't asking her) and she asked what I was on about when I mentioned something about a tv program. She doesn't watch TV like that she said.

AlwaysTheBrideNeverTheBridesmaid · 26/09/2022 15:52

Some people just never learned that if they have nothing useful to say they should stay quiet. They think everything requires their input for some reason.

Lovetogarden2022 · 26/09/2022 15:57

@ShirleyPhallus this happens all the time in our local groups too!!!!

OP posts:
WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 26/09/2022 15:59

Definitely 'empty vessels' who do this. Probably related to people who see a thread titled '[recently-deceased Celeb's name] RIP' and add their Priceless contribution that "I've never heard of her/him".

Even worse than that, the ones who write "Who cares?" about a topic/title - something that they've noticed, clicked on, read and taken the trouble to comment on....

Lovetogarden2022 · 26/09/2022 16:00

I think one of the worst was when my eldest was a baby and I asked a non urgent question along the lines of "Is this normal or should I mention it to the HV?"
Someone replied instantly saying "if you're that worried why don't you take her to A&E" 🤦‍♀️

OP posts:
chineapplepunks · 26/09/2022 16:02

My favourite one is when someone posts something along the lines of "Can anyone give me a lift tomorrow?" and someone replies "Ahw wish I could but I don't drive" 🙄😂

DrunkenKoala · 26/09/2022 16:03

I found a pair of kids glasses in my local park on morning during the school run. Posted on my local Facebook group, got a response of “not mine”with laughing emojis. I looked at this guys profile and he was in his 30s with a couple of kids. I responded asking did he know who they belonged to and weirdly he never replied. Someone else did reply, telling me to ignore the previous idiot and directed me to another local group and was able to reunite the glasses with the child.

Some people are just weird!

Minikievs · 26/09/2022 16:06

My favourite one was posted on a Facebook page where someone had asked "What's the best film you've ever watched on Netflix?"

Response was "I never watch films and I don't know what Netflix is"

WTF are you commenting for then?!?!?! Confused

CrystalCoco · 26/09/2022 16:08

I had a friend a while back out of the blue message me to ask me what book I was currently reading - then processed to tell me she didn't like that author - I mean, I wasn't recommending the book/author, I was just answering your question.

Always4Brenner · 26/09/2022 16:08

I’ve just been told I shouldn’t leave stbx as yes so down, well I threw that straight back with “you’ve not had the grumpiness the weed money the smokes the music career money wasted all through this marriage’ I’m sick of being the dog to be kicked. Carry on like this in the village I’ll only speak to bingo friends and stbx. And I won’t visit the local shop again. Once I’m gone.

girlmom21 · 26/09/2022 16:11

Some people just think that they're oh so important they have to comment on everything. They're always arseholes IRL too.

TigerRag · 26/09/2022 16:13

chineapplepunks · 26/09/2022 16:02

My favourite one is when someone posts something along the lines of "Can anyone give me a lift tomorrow?" and someone replies "Ahw wish I could but I don't drive" 🙄😂

"I would if I lived closer"

YorkshirePuddingsGreatestFan · 26/09/2022 16:15

Reviews on sites like Amazon that give a star rating then say they haven't used it as it's a gift for someone or they complain about the delivery or something else irrelevant to the actual product.

TastesLikeFlavourlessFizz · 26/09/2022 16:25

I know I shouldn't but I can't help but laugh at some of these.

Happens all the time on here!

WomanStanleyWoman2 · 26/09/2022 16:44

I belong to a Facebook group for a particular holiday resort and the number of people who respond to questions with ‘Just Google it’. Presumably the reason people ask questions in the group is because they think locals and regular visitors might have a more personal perspective, or local knowledge, or have ‘on the ground’ info when it comes to time-sensitive issues. We all know what fucking Google is!!

IglesiasPiggl · 26/09/2022 16:49

Oh yes, it's so annoying. There is a man on my local Nextdoor who I assume must have time on his hands
He comments on every single post even if he has absolutely nothing to add. The other day a woman posted asking for recommendations for a menopause group, and he replied "I don't think I will ever experience this". Ya think?!

Lovetogarden2022 · 26/09/2022 16:50

Some of these are killing me 😂😂😂😂

OP posts:
IglesiasPiggl · 26/09/2022 16:52

WomanStanleyWoman2 · 26/09/2022 16:44

I belong to a Facebook group for a particular holiday resort and the number of people who respond to questions with ‘Just Google it’. Presumably the reason people ask questions in the group is because they think locals and regular visitors might have a more personal perspective, or local knowledge, or have ‘on the ground’ info when it comes to time-sensitive issues. We all know what fucking Google is!!

The only response to that is "Ooh, thank you so much. I obviously hadn't done that and would never have considered that option had it not been for your post"

WhileMyGuitarGentlyWeeps · 26/09/2022 16:58

IglesiasPiggl · 26/09/2022 16:49

Oh yes, it's so annoying. There is a man on my local Nextdoor who I assume must have time on his hands
He comments on every single post even if he has absolutely nothing to add. The other day a woman posted asking for recommendations for a menopause group, and he replied "I don't think I will ever experience this". Ya think?!

I would block him tbh.

WhileMyGuitarGentlyWeeps · 26/09/2022 16:58

IglesiasPiggl · 26/09/2022 16:52

The only response to that is "Ooh, thank you so much. I obviously hadn't done that and would never have considered that option had it not been for your post"

Great idea! Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.