Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to find food prices bewildering?

210 replies

GuyMontag · 22/09/2022 23:50

Like I think most people I've tended to always keep a weather eye on food prices, buying here and there, near work, near home, maybe a wee top up in b&m/home bargains from time to time, kind of aware of shelf prices, getting things cheap when I can.

But fuck me, not any more. Prices are all over the place now. Massive increases, but really uneven across the shops, so that I don't know what to do or how to buy . All I know is that everything is scary expensive compared to even a few months ago and I can't shop around it.

Anyone else?

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

fyn · 24/09/2022 15:58

@miserablecat housing costs have gone from 9% of expenditure to 18% in the past 60 years according to the ONS. Food and clothing have halved respectively and tobacco spend has gone from 6% average to 1%!

If you look up the Family Expenditure Survey you’ll find all the info!

Please
or

BrightYellowDaffodil · 24/09/2022 16:26

We just got used to very cheap food prices. With the shock of covid (all those pared-to-the-bone supply chains no longer functioning as they should), the Ukraine war and inflation, the prices that had been kept artificially low for years came springing up like a Jack in the box. That’s a lot of catching up to do.

But some of the prices quoted about are extreme examples - Waitrose still sell own brand pasta for 85p, not £2. You can pay £6.20 for 12 loo rolls if you’ve got a Clubcard (£7something without). At least SOME of the price rises can be mitigated by simply writing a list in advance and checking the prices ( I do appreciate not everyone has the full range of supermarkets nearby, but you can at least see if it’s worth travelling to a different one).

And maybe we need to change what we eat - I don’t spend any more on food at the moment as I did two years ago but I probably cook a few cheaper meals to offset the times I want, say, steak. I probably don’t buy as much meat overall, and I cook more with what’s in season because it’s usually cheaper.

Please
or

Roselilly36 · 24/09/2022 16:30

Just a tip for Lidl app customers, I had the free w5 coupon this week, chanced my arm in picking up a W5 50 all in one dishwasher tablet pack, £4.09, it worked was credited off my bill, couldn’t believe my luck.

Please
or

Roselilly36 · 24/09/2022 16:31

Note: I made sure I didn’t buy any other w5 products, just in case!

Please
or

stilldumdedumming · 24/09/2022 16:38

Bloody hell ! I wish my housing costs were 18%!! I suspect that's for owner occupiers. What is the increase for renters. Mine is half my income and I would say I'm in an average area in the midlands.

Please
or

fyn · 24/09/2022 18:27

@stilldumdedumming its based on the average family income, so presumably two adults plus any benefits. The ONS says that the median family housing costs for mortgages is £150pw, private renters is £149pw and social housing is £92 for 2021.

Please
or

stilldumdedumming · 24/09/2022 18:38

@fyn ha ha ha ha ha is what I say to that! Grin

Please
or

stilldumdedumming · 24/09/2022 18:40

I'm trying to get something cheaper. Currently looking at nearly £1k for a 2 bed. And looking in other parts of the UK, we are not very much more expensive! I earn £2300. I don't get any benefits now my youngest has finished FE.

Please
or

GuyMontag · 24/09/2022 19:38

Surely the housing costs thing is moderated by the fact that the average age of a UK citizen is 40 now? So there is a fair whack of the population who don't have any housing costs at all because they bought ages ago and don't have a mortgage.

I wonder what the housing costs for working age people are. Certainly round here it's £1000 pm to rent a two bedroom place, same as for a pp. That's a fair chunk of the £1250 take home before council tax that you get on "living" wage.

OP posts:
Please
or

amazonianwoman · 24/09/2022 21:54

Haven't read all messages, but milk today in M&S is £1.45 for 4pint bottle (£1.55 in Aldi & Tesco) and M&S own brand butter is £1.75 vs Tesco £1.99

Please
or

womaninatightspot · 24/09/2022 23:54

BrightYellowDaffodil · 24/09/2022 16:26

We just got used to very cheap food prices. With the shock of covid (all those pared-to-the-bone supply chains no longer functioning as they should), the Ukraine war and inflation, the prices that had been kept artificially low for years came springing up like a Jack in the box. That’s a lot of catching up to do.

But some of the prices quoted about are extreme examples - Waitrose still sell own brand pasta for 85p, not £2. You can pay £6.20 for 12 loo rolls if you’ve got a Clubcard (£7something without). At least SOME of the price rises can be mitigated by simply writing a list in advance and checking the prices ( I do appreciate not everyone has the full range of supermarkets nearby, but you can at least see if it’s worth travelling to a different one).

And maybe we need to change what we eat - I don’t spend any more on food at the moment as I did two years ago but I probably cook a few cheaper meals to offset the times I want, say, steak. I probably don’t buy as much meat overall, and I cook more with what’s in season because it’s usually cheaper.

Often the basic/ own brand seems to be sold out these days when shopping in store or online. I’m an aficionado of 39p for 500g of penne/ 20p spaghetti but it’s been unavailable for ages in my local Tesco/Aldi. Perhaps the £2 pasta is what they had at the time.

Please
or

PotatoFamily · 25/09/2022 00:16

We’ve gone from spending £80 a week to £200 easily. We don’t have the money to go anywhere fun with the kids, ever, so we just work, cook dinner, go to bed. It’s relentless

Please
or

LittleRen · 25/09/2022 00:22

I really rate Ocado. I have been using it for about 10 years but their own brand pricing (Ocado but also to an extent M&S) is great and it’s so easy to price compare on there across brands.

Please
or

stilldumdedumming · 25/09/2022 00:49

Ah yes @GuyMontag that makes a lot of sense!

Please
or

Puppetsare · 25/09/2022 09:14

I think l'll make sanitary pads from cutting up a black towel, and stacking with snappers. The expensive plastic tampons are being pushed. More women's tax.

Please
or

ZenNudist · 25/09/2022 09:28

We were warned the cost of food would go up as a consequence of brexit. People voted for it. "Yes please I'd like more expensive everything." Thank god for sovereignty.

Also its fair enough that increased energy and fuel costs is adding to prices but all of the cost is being passed on to the consumer. There is no sharing of pain. Businesses are doing well still.

Im an accountant and can see for lot of my clients turnover going up massively, costs going up as well and here's the kicker: profit margins staying the same or improving. some food producers and retailers are benefitting here. Though I should imagine they'd prefer to be able to offer lower prices to drive higher demand.

Please
or

Blondeshavemorefun · 25/09/2022 09:28

I think l'll make sanitary pads from cutting up a black towel, and stacking with snappers. The expensive plastic tampons are being pushed. More women's tax.

@Puppetsare please message me with you address and I will send over some boxes of tampax via Amazon to you.

I have prime and can be with tomorrow

it is so disgraceful the tax they put on something that woman class as essential

it is not a luxury as it is classes

Please
or

YeOldeTrout · 25/09/2022 13:17

I've got a Turkish houseguest. He took picture of our supermarket receipt to send to his friend back in Turkey. On balance things are more expensive here. I have American friends who comment on how things are cheaper in UK than USA, though.

Please
or

pinkstripeycat · 25/09/2022 13:47

I remember reading at the end of 2020 that during the 1st lockdown supermarkets made more money in those 3 months than they do in a whole year including Christmas because of all the panic buying.
That seems to have been forgotten. Also the chairs of supermarkets are all still taking £1m bonuses.
They don’t need to put the prices up as much and as often as they are doing

Please
or

womaninatightspot · 25/09/2022 13:55

If you’re in Scotland you can pick up free sanitary products from most council buildings. We give out hey girls products which are plastic free and made from bamboo and corn fibres, much nicer than sweaty plastic!

Please
or

Proudboomer · 25/09/2022 14:03

Aretheyhavingalaugh · 23/09/2022 01:03

Farm foods have a really good deal with toilet paper, they are a pack of 18 rolls but you get 4 packs so 72 rolls for £19 and they are decent quality. It works out 26p a roll compared to the ones you just mentioned costing £1.12 a roll. I'd never really shopped In farm foods until recently but it's good value for toilet roll. BUT they did used to be £16.00 for 72 rolls so those have still gone up

It wasn’t that long ago when those farm foods loo rolls were 4 packs for £13

Please
or

Againstmachine · 25/09/2022 14:05

I'm very glad the price of milk has gone up it's been artificially low for too long, I hope the increases are passed to the farmers.

Please
or

Solmum1964 · 25/09/2022 16:05

sóh₂wl̥ · 23/09/2022 12:19

I've got hundreds of unripe tomatoes on my plants outside that just stubbornly won't go red 🤣

Have you tried old method of warm window sill in closed bag with apple or banana ?

Ours are ripening nicely on trays on a sunny windowsill!

Please
or

Tilda77 · 25/09/2022 16:57

We've always bought the supermarket basics range or supermarket own products. Never buy the big name brands. Supermarkets just get the big brands to make the products for them with a different label on. One thing we have noticed if we go to the supermarket later in the day is that all the cheaper options have been raided and all that is left is the big brands. This used to happen at Christmas and New Year when people were using their money for other things but now it's always like it. The prices are increasing every few days...makes me wonder when they will stabilise?

Please
or

georgarina · 25/09/2022 17:03

DCs' yoghurts have always been £3 at my local shop, usually marked down to £2.50

Went shopping yesterday and they're suddenly £4.40!

I normally roll my eyes at the fearmongering 'there was no hummus at my Co-op' threads but that did give me a shock

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?