Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to find food prices bewildering?

210 replies

GuyMontag · 22/09/2022 23:50

Like I think most people I've tended to always keep a weather eye on food prices, buying here and there, near work, near home, maybe a wee top up in b&m/home bargains from time to time, kind of aware of shelf prices, getting things cheap when I can.

But fuck me, not any more. Prices are all over the place now. Massive increases, but really uneven across the shops, so that I don't know what to do or how to buy . All I know is that everything is scary expensive compared to even a few months ago and I can't shop around it.

Anyone else?

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

millymog11 · 23/09/2022 10:10

Do you think people are on a roll with stocking up on the cheapest tins of stuff and stock piling/stashing it because there is a forboding that prices are going to go even more eye wateringly high? I have been doing this for months now and even now I have quite a lot stored I still think I need to buy more (eg baked beans, tinned beans, rice, dried beans budget chopped tomatoes, tinned tuna etc)? Is it just me?

Please
or

PasnipPasta · 23/09/2022 10:16

I shopped waitrose online for a while as I couldn't get to aldi
Stuck religiously to what I'd normally buy and it worked out about £15 cheaper a week

Please
or

MrsFezziwig · 23/09/2022 10:17

Supermarkets aren’t profiteering, they are just passing on the cost of wildly jumping and fluctuating food, labour and energy prices - because they are businesses and have to stay in business.

Unfortunately I can remember where I saw it but I read an article earlier in the year that said supermarkets were making record profits, so maybe they could dial it down a bit?

Please
or

MrsFezziwig · 23/09/2022 10:18

can't remember Confused

Please
or

Bubblebubblebah · 23/09/2022 10:20

Supermarkets aren’t profiteering, they are just passing on the cost of wildly jumping and fluctuating food, labour and energy prices - because they are businesses and have to stay in business.

Unfortunately I can remember where I saw it but I read an article earlier in the year that said supermarkets were making record profits, so maybe they could dial it down a bit?

Is it all supermarkets or some? Might be cjange in shopping habits.
I saw prices of chicken and was surprised how long likes of ASDA held it on low price.

Please
or

FrancescaContini · 23/09/2022 10:21

I’m going to rock the boat here and say that I haven’t noticed increases at all, apart from butter. My weekly food bills are pretty much the same.

Please
or

GuyMontag · 23/09/2022 10:22

M&s are definitely cheapest for milk, bread, butter (but not spread) and eggs at the moment. And for cucumbers!

Waitrose for bog roll.

OP posts:
Please
or

loislovesstewie · 23/09/2022 10:26

Just back from Aldi, picked up a bottle of sunflower oil and put it straight back. It was twice the price of vegetable oil so I bought that. Not long ago the price was about the same. I will say though that the cat/dog food doesn't seem to have increased in price. I agree about the butter, it's now twice the price of only a short while ago.

Please
or

PlumPudd · 23/09/2022 10:27

I think those are reports of last years profits though, when supermarket sales hugely increased because it was still the pandemic and nobody could go out to eat, or buy lunch from Pret / boots etc. and people bulk bought groceries.

They made more profit last year, because they were shifting way more stock. Several have already predicted that sales will be very down this coming year as everyone buys less. So if they kept prices artificially low and reduced profit margins, they’d be really risking their own businesses because they’re also expecting to sell less stock.

They could hypothetically use some of those profits to keep prices lower this year and cushion shoppers from increases if they were private companies and wanted to do that. But they are all publicly listed companies and can’t do that. The profits will have already gone out to share holders (including many of us whose pensions will be invested in their stocks).

Please
or

Thistleinthenight · 23/09/2022 10:30

I'm not finding it terrible, though I have noticed it. I tend to be a dull shopper though, and focus directly on meals. We avoid snacky stuff, mainly.

Please
or

Lottie4 · 23/09/2022 10:30

millymog11 I'm certainly keeping stocked up on cans tomatoes. We use a lot and they haven't gone up for ages, but forecast to. I'm only buying the odd extra can here and there, but it all adds up. Also, making sure we have a good supply of cheap beans and our favourite cereal which happens to be cheap, but occasionally is out of stock for 2/3 weeks.

Please
or

NotQuiteUsual · 23/09/2022 10:36

I've given up trying to track prices. They're just whatever they want now. Pack sizes keep changing too. Each week something else is in short supply, only to be overflowing from the shelves next week.

Please
or

Hillary17 · 23/09/2022 10:37

Our weekly food shop used to be about £60 for two of us and a cat. It’s now close to £100 and we’re not even that over the top. The odd nice meal deal thrown in but god it’s gotten ridiculous!

Please
or

DarceyG · 23/09/2022 10:37

Goldieshock · 23/09/2022 09:36

B & M 9 pack of quilted loo roll that does the job is £2.89

Flabbergasted by the prices people have mentioned!

I know but a roll only lasts 2 minutes. Yeah we're being fleeced big time.

Please
or

clowerina · 23/09/2022 10:44

I do think there's a lot of price gouging and opportunism by the supermarkets and / or food suppliers. To be honest!! Taking advantage of inflation and taking the absolute piss.

Head to Lidl, if they can afford to sell food at a reasonable price so can all the big supermarkets!!!

Please
or

IamTheBridge · 23/09/2022 10:45

PeloFondo · 23/09/2022 00:28

I was in Aldi looking at the "posh" pizza, specially selected or whatever. Noticed it was nearly £5. That's the price that the Sainsburys posh pizza used to be!
I'm mostly using Tesco online and scrolling through for their Aldi price matches

That's the price of the top pizza in M and S!

Please
or

Rosehugger · 23/09/2022 10:47

It really fucks me off that inflation is supposed to be 10%, but all the increases I am aware of are at least 20% and often 40% or more in a short space of time.

Please
or

sittingonacornflake · 23/09/2022 10:50

@Rosehugger this is what I don't understand either!

Please
or

bestbefore · 23/09/2022 11:02

I agree with all of this, but weirdly some things are cheaper - chocolate weetabix in Tesco was £3.20 (!) I only ever bought it on offer but now the regular price is Aldi price checked so is now £2.75.

I think the big brands are in trouble...even if you have the money to spend people won't pay top money just for brands and will swap to own label and probably not go back!

Please
or

Whitney168 · 23/09/2022 11:02

Tha · 23/09/2022 00:53

I went through the self checkout the other day and a 12 pack of toilet roll was £13.50. £13.50!?? To wipe our arses? Asked the helper lady to cancel it and I wasn't even ashamed. I will use fucking LEAVES before I pay £13.50 for toilet roll.

I gave up on supermarket loo roll a couple of years ago, on the basis that the inner tube was getting wider, and they were wound looser and looser so there was barely anything on the bloody roll either!

Switched to Who Gives A Crap (there are plenty of others too, but only tried those). Sounds expensive to start, but much better value as they're solidly wound. The fact they're actually doing a bit of good is a bonus.

Please
or

HumbleApe · 23/09/2022 11:06

We're fortunate that we can weather the price increases even if unpalatable, but the local supermarkets seem to have issues with supply as well. It's rare that I can get everything I need in a single shop. I've never known things like frozen peas (garden or petis pois) to be totally out of stock. Our local Tesco had no cheddar cheese the other day!

Please
or

lurker69 · 23/09/2022 11:06

my kids like the Tesco cheap fish in batter i put some on this week's shopping at £1.99! i went back on the next day to add some bits i had forgotten it had gone up to £3.29 in less than 24hrs!!!

Please
or

RagzRebooted · 23/09/2022 11:08

womaninatightspot · 22/09/2022 23:56

£1.99 for own brand supermarket butter.

I noticed this in Asda and Lidl this week. I was upset enough when it went over £1.50!

Please
or

MayISuggestSomeThickCutSteakChipsToGoWithThat · 23/09/2022 11:09

horsemadgal · 23/09/2022 01:19

Those Farmfoods toilet rolls are now £22 for 72 rolls, they were £10 at the start of lockdown.

😱😱😱

Please
or

Fuwari · 23/09/2022 11:12

The past two times I’ve popped in Waitrose (not for a big shop, but a couple of bits and it’s my closest store) they’ve been giving away 4pint cartons of milk! Not sure why they did it, but both times I took one. A small help.

I’ve reverted to the “old days” and have bread and butter with a lot of meals. Helps to bulk things out. Any regular things I buy, I wait for them to come on offer and stock up. Otherwise it’s all basics brands. I used to buy whatever I fancied but now I seem to often think “I’m not paying that much just for that”.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?