Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to find food prices bewildering?

210 replies

GuyMontag · 22/09/2022 23:50

Like I think most people I've tended to always keep a weather eye on food prices, buying here and there, near work, near home, maybe a wee top up in b&m/home bargains from time to time, kind of aware of shelf prices, getting things cheap when I can.

But fuck me, not any more. Prices are all over the place now. Massive increases, but really uneven across the shops, so that I don't know what to do or how to buy . All I know is that everything is scary expensive compared to even a few months ago and I can't shop around it.

Anyone else?

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Onlyhuman123 · 23/09/2022 11:12

DarceyG · 23/09/2022 09:32

Have you seen how much cheese costs? I love my cheese. It really is beyond a joke now.

Our household calls it 'gold' now. i.e. 'mum do we have any grated gold?' It's shocking how much cheese prices have increased!

Please
or

2bazookas · 23/09/2022 11:14

From when we were very poor to now when we're affluent, if I see quality basics, dry or storable supplies at a bargain price I bulk buy as much as I can pay for and store. TP, laundry liquid, pantry supplies, my preferred wine.

Our fresh food menu is picked from what's available on sale the day I'm in the shop. I always check out the "last day/reduced" section of chilled meat, cheese etc. In the fresh meat and fish section, look out for high quality at best price (and will split and freeze a large pack). We consume far smaller portions of meat today; and a lot more vegetarian food. The older we get, the more we appreciate the longterm health benefits.

Please
or

SinisterBumFacedCat · 23/09/2022 11:20

I’m not sure how much a box of malteasers normally is but £3.40 in Tesco’s today. Sat next to a tub of Heroes twice the size for £4. None of it makes sense.

if you have allergies it is even more expensive right now.

Please
or

Autumnwinterspringsummer · 23/09/2022 11:24

I switched from Lidl to tesco this week.

Found over the last month or two, some Lidl prices have nearly doubled.

Please
or

sóh₂wl̥ · 23/09/2022 11:27

Someone on here was saying 15 eggs are £2 in M&S. Don't know if they were free range, but I'd just brought 15 free range eggs in Lidl for £2.15. M&S is totally out of the way for me, so not worth the time and cost, but makes you think.

There was a famer on another thread who said it was because M&S had locked in contracts for a while - while other supermarkets are buying on open market.
So food prices will hit just have not yet.

I have to admit I'm more confused and as we've cut down many short trips to shops - every time I go I see to be more shocked.

The advice to switch to cheaper supermarkets doesn't work for us because it's the ones we use - Aldi and Asda most and I'm not so sure they are the cheapest now.

Please
or

DahliaMacNamara · 23/09/2022 11:29

I can only go food shopping with my DC now, both of whom are still in that frugal student mindset. DH, the poor deluded fool, thinks that he works long hours at a demanding job and should therefore be able to afford whatever takes his fancy, as he always did in the past. It's only a standard supermarket shop, not a trolley dash around Fortnum and Mason. And technically he still could, but not if he wants to be able to buy anything flash, such as new shoes, or God forbid tyres for the car.

Please
or

ILikeHotWaterBottles · 23/09/2022 11:34

The prices between the shops is non existent now really other than comparing Aldi to Waitrose. I do my shop at Tesco, get it delivered or click and collect and buy a lot of their own brand stuff. Not too bad for prices and I don't have to go in.

Please
or

ShandaLear · 23/09/2022 11:35

HarrySmiles · 23/09/2022 09:43

HRFT but in case no one has mentioned it - Danpak in Lidl is lots nicer than Lurpak and considerably cheaper.

No, it’s really not. It’s nowhere near as noice as Lurpak.

Please
or

ShandaLear · 23/09/2022 11:37

It’s availability as well. Half the time the fruit and veg looks knackered, if it’s there at all. The fruit and veg section of my local Sainsburys is 80% tomatoes these days. Rows upon rows of them.

Please
or

incognitopurple · 23/09/2022 11:42

Sainsburys really isn’t as expensive as everyone makes out, nor M&S. Quality is so much better and it lasts so much longer.

We do Sainsburys then top up at M&S. Comes in about £100 for two of us but whenever we’ve shopped at Aldi recently we’ve found items are the same if not more than Sainsburys.

If you have a nectar card you get so many smart shop offers too which makes things cheaper.

In the latest Which analysis Morrisons was the most expensive of the big four, substantially so. Followed by Tesco, then Sainsburys, then Asda.

Please
or

Ariela · 23/09/2022 11:43

Manchestermummax3 · 23/09/2022 00:42

I had an £8 budget for a top up this week (please don't judge, it really is that bad)
I bought

wafer thin cheap chicken sandwich meat
butter (250g)
iceberg lettuce
value yogurts (6 pack, non branded)
Own brand loaf of bread
4pts semi milk
1 pack of baby Wipes
4 potatoes
2 bananas

£12!!!!!

Can you cut the wipes out - use an old T shirt, cut into squares, use with water and a tiny bit of baby wash? You can soak in a tub with a little Miltons/Napisan, drain and wash with next washing load to reuse.
For lettuce, we grow cut & come again lettuce in a tray on the kitchen windowsill (I actually have 2 trays). Just resow every now and then when it refuses to grow again, but you can keep this growing from March to October very easily, I think depends on light/heat for winter, a pack of seeds is less than a fiver.

Please
or

Fundays12 · 23/09/2022 11:43

I used to be a Lidl and Aldi shopper mainly but now now. Both are so expensive for a lot of stuff now. Asda basis range is great and far cheaper than other places. Add on the reward app it’s definitely worth going there. Far foods are decent for bulk buy bits to.

Please
or

ShockedConfused1980 · 23/09/2022 11:47

Need to start eating more Legumes - kidney beans - lentils etc especially as curries with rice etc and yogurts and salads. Much cheaper and goes a long way.

Please
or

katseyes7 · 23/09/2022 11:48

Purely one example - when my friend comes to stay, l usually buy a four pack of triple chocolate muffins for to have with our coffee.
For ages, they were 99p-£1 at both Asda and Tesco.
Last week they were £1.40 at both.
Went to the local Asda yesterday. Same item, now £1.85!!
That's just one item. It's appalling. I know it isn't an 'essential' but l just used it as an example.

Please
or

Tabbouleh · 23/09/2022 11:49

ShockedConfused1980 · 23/09/2022 11:47

Need to start eating more Legumes - kidney beans - lentils etc especially as curries with rice etc and yogurts and salads. Much cheaper and goes a long way.

That's 80% of my diet but I am used to it. Not everybody can!

Please
or

hangingbagger · 23/09/2022 11:53

I've been shopping at Waitrose guilt-free because there's literally no saving when you go to Tescos these days. I went to buy spray carpet cleaner today though (small kids in the house) and it was £7. SEVEN QUID. I'd rather have dirty carpets I think

Please
or

StridTheKiller · 23/09/2022 11:55

@Manchestermummax3 Please don't apologise for being brassic and absolutely visit a foodbank if needbe. The only people who should be ashamed of themselves are ore useless tosser leaders.

Please
or

bodie1890 · 23/09/2022 11:55

This was always going to happen when we left the EU but people seem so surprised by it.

Please
or

the80sweregreat · 23/09/2022 11:59

I've started to cut down on many things such as cakes and snack foods as they are just too expensive.
I bought some first class stamps today , it's 95 p now for one and 68 p for second class.
I think I won't be sending out any Christmas cards by post this year either. Cards are also expensive too.

Please
or

Bootsandcat · 23/09/2022 12:00

The supermarket price increases has made hello fresh and gusto services (when you buy it at a discount) more palatable now. We are also trying to eat less meat and less snacks now to try to keep grocery bill down

Please
or

Waspo · 23/09/2022 12:01

I buy toilet roll from Who Gives a Crap too. One roll lasts ages and they are a good ethical company.

I've noticed we all just eat more crap these days 😩 you can still buy an oven pizza in Iceland for £1. And things like nuggets and waffles are easy to grab cheaply.

Our problem is often cash flow. I can't bulk buy or stock up, I regularly find myself in a position where I've got a set (small!) budget to buy two or three dinners. So it is easier to buy a cheap pizza and a cucumber than to try and buy all the ingredients for a "proper" meal.

I've got hundreds of unripe tomatoes on my plants outside that just stubbornly won't go red 🤣

On the plus side we can't really afford snacks anymore. Or cheese (unless in a £1 pizza) so I am hoping it might do my waistline good 😊

Please
or

the80sweregreat · 23/09/2022 12:02

Meat is so expensive now too.
I feel it's a conspiracy to stop us all eating it , but I appreciate there is more to it than this!

Please
or

Dixiechickonhols · 23/09/2022 12:07

It’s not always case that Aldi Lidl are cheaper. Asda are doing the yellow basics range and Tesco do stockwells and Aldi price match.
Lots of the basics are surprisingly nice and often less added rubbish - the stockwells ketchup was 59p I think and fine.
I’ve always gone for yellow stickers - get to know times. Our local co op and Booths discount heavily. Aldi has fresh stuff 75% off. Lidl reduces to 90p.I also do Ocado online sometimes if you look for offers it’s competitive.
Less fashionable stuff is always reduced- haddock, kippers etc. I’m also finding luxuries heavily reduced as people cut back - smoked salmon etc.
Lidl and sometimes Morrisons do boxes of veg & fruit they are £1.50 in Lidl ideal for soup.
A chest freezer has been a huge help. Most of our meat is bought reduced.
I also use too good to go app.

Please
or

PipinwasAuntieMabelsdog · 23/09/2022 12:07

All of the contextual issues eg Ukraine, Covid, Brexit. However, food has been far too cheap for far too long. The fact that labour to collect harvest used to be so much cheaper is not something to celebrate, it was not fair on the people being paid those wages. We've also gotten used to regularly eating food that was considered luxuries even in many of our childhoods all the time now.

Please
or

cantseeme · 23/09/2022 12:09

fyn · 23/09/2022 09:37

The problem with food prices in the UK is that we have had the second lowest food prices in the world for years, behind only America. Prices are catching up with the rest of the world.

This! I live overseas and most of the prices that people are shocked by in this thread are the same/less than we pay here, though here fruit and veg is generally seasonal and local so inexpensive.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?