Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to find food prices bewildering?

210 replies

GuyMontag · 22/09/2022 23:50

Like I think most people I've tended to always keep a weather eye on food prices, buying here and there, near work, near home, maybe a wee top up in b&m/home bargains from time to time, kind of aware of shelf prices, getting things cheap when I can.

But fuck me, not any more. Prices are all over the place now. Massive increases, but really uneven across the shops, so that I don't know what to do or how to buy . All I know is that everything is scary expensive compared to even a few months ago and I can't shop around it.

Anyone else?

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

AlwaysLatte · 23/09/2022 01:44

The ground coffee I usually buy (sainsbury own brand - best one imo) has gone up from £2.30 to £2.65. I usually buy 4 packs when the offer comes out for extra nectar points when you get £7 worth, but I haven't seen that recently, either.

Please
or

liveforsummer · 23/09/2022 02:08

Same with petrol. It used to be simple - city cheaper, supermarket cheaper, Morrisons cheapest. The other day the shell and bp garages were cheaper than the city Morrisons, who have 2 stations near me, normally the same price but currently 2p different. The 2 Asda ones which are normally the same are a 5p difference. My friend who lives in a rural town and has always paid a premium for fuel has a branded station that is around 8 p cheaper than my city Morrisons price - bizarre!

Please
or

MintJulia · 23/09/2022 02:15

Everything is creeping up but I still managed a week's shop for the same price by....

• buying my cleaning materials in the £ shop
  • shopping seasonal
  • looking carefully at frozen versus fresh

It's getting harder though.
Please
or

Aretheyhavingalaugh · 23/09/2022 08:24

horsemadgal · 23/09/2022 01:19

Those Farmfoods toilet rolls are now £22 for 72 rolls, they were £10 at the start of lockdown.

No way! £22! I've had a bit of a stock pile so hadn't bought any recently!

Please
or

SunshineLollipopsAndRainbows · 23/09/2022 08:31

YANBU. It’s very confusing. And I c

Please
or

SunshineLollipopsAndRainbows · 23/09/2022 08:33

Sent too soon! I continue to be shocked at the price increases. In Tescos the other day,, a tin of Heinz beans & sausages was £1.75! And Bonne Maman jam was £3!!

Please
or

TightDiamondShoes · 23/09/2022 08:38

A friend and I were in one of those fancy-shmancy organic knitted-yoghurt type shops the other week for a browse. We ended up buying a metric shit-ton because the “posh” stuff was in many cases considerably cheaper than Tesco.

that’s fucked up!

Please
or

Tabbouleh · 23/09/2022 08:39

Am very confused too. Everything seems to have rocketed. I am glad we are mostly veggie but even veggies have gone up.

Trying to plan v carefully and avoid food waste.

Please
or

newnamethanks · 23/09/2022 08:40

It's not bewildering it's perfectly understandable. That doesn't make it any more palatable though. Expect it to get worse and remain so for a long time to come.

Please
or

PuppyMonkey · 23/09/2022 08:45

We like Anchor spreadable butter in our house and I put it in my shopping basket for Prime Morrisons delivery as usual last week - £4.25. Shock

For a tub of butter?

Please
or

LunaLoveLemon · 23/09/2022 08:56

That’s it. Cloth wipes for all wees from now on. Toilet roll is for poos only!

Please
or

caroleanboneparte · 23/09/2022 09:02

I never used used to go to farm foods but now do an occasional stock up shop there as things like juice, toilet and kitchen roll, beans, all tins, biscuits are all much cheaper there.

I don't even try Tesco nowadays.

I used to rely on Morrisons to be the cheapest of the big 4 but individual items can still be overpriced.

I go into supermarkets or one colour or another most days so just stick to buying offers as and when.

I also go at 6pm for yellow stickers.

I'm finding this much cheaper than meal planning and going into one with a list.

Please
or

Bubblebubblebah · 23/09/2022 09:03

Tomatoes made a jump in wholesale which means supermarkets and tomato based products will follow.

Things jump up differenly because the chain gets hit in different times by different issues. It's ridiculous but I think we still have some of the cheapest food in europe

Please
or

Darcy101 · 23/09/2022 09:03

Found a great app to check prices - easy to use.

trolley.co.uk

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 23/09/2022 09:06

I agree about shopping round for petrol. The other day two ‘village’ petrol stations that I drove past were cheaper than the Tesco that I actually went to.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 23/09/2022 09:07

We tended to use kitchen roll to dry our hands in the kitchen. I’ve now put a hand towel in the kitchen to reduce the use of the paper.

Please
or

CakeCrumbs44 · 23/09/2022 09:10

LunaLoveLemon · 23/09/2022 08:56

That’s it. Cloth wipes for all wees from now on. Toilet roll is for poos only!

I am debating this as well. We have loads of cloth wipes from when the kids were babies. Fine for wees, I just need to come.up with some sort of storage solution for them in the bathroom.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 23/09/2022 09:11

Can you still get the nappy bucket with a lid ?

Please
or

igiveup777 · 23/09/2022 09:13

Was in Asda earlier this week, their own brand bread, 50p a few months back, then up to 70p then this week 90p!
Two little pizza's sometimes £1, sometimes £1.25 the last 12 months. Now £1.50 with the roll back stickers saying from £1.75! They have never been £1.75.
Hair product £1 earlier this year, few weeks back £1.25 now £1.50.
I understand prices having to go up but I just wonder why twice in the matter of months and why certain products seemed to have increased a lot but others haven't. For example the juice we buy 99p last year £1 now, a box of Asda cereal 83p now £95p so not as significant rise.

Please
or

Longdistance · 23/09/2022 09:14

Supermarkets have been taking the piss for ages. The fact that nearly every shop has self service and they’ve saved on employing staff, they still have the damned bloody cheek to overcharge for products. It’s a load of bollocks.

Please
or

CakeCrumbs44 · 23/09/2022 09:14

Our local shop used to put yellow stickers out at 6pm so I would pop in on the way home from work and get meat and veg for 75% off.

Now they seem to be doing them at 3/4 o clock and when I went in the other day, the worker doing the reductions was putting them directly into carrier bags rather than back on the shelf. I don't know if the staff take them, or if they all just go to that "good to go" bags thing, but then why bother putting the stickers on? I did get a pack of salmon for £1.70 but that was the only thing there!

Please
or

TheLongGallery · 23/09/2022 09:16

I’m buying more frozen veg as it is much cheaper and just as good plus no waste ever.

I am allergic to perfume which also means cleaning products. I just use a little lemon juice mixed with bicarbonate of soda for a proper clean but just wipe sides down with water. I chop everything on a board anyway and never on the side so it’s fine. I am always amazed at how much cleaning product people seem to get through.

Please
or

Bearsan · 23/09/2022 09:16

We used to do a mix of local farm shop, bakery, greengrocer, butchers, Morrison's and M&S.

We've now decided to say goodbye to the greengrocer who is extortionate now and bye to Morrison's who's prices seem to increase weekly. M&S is actually cheaper for most things that we buy. Butchers and bakery have gone up a fraction and farm shop which was always more expensive looks reasonable!
Honestly I think some businesses are using it as an excuse to rip everyone off.

Please
or

MermaidEyes · 23/09/2022 09:17

I think the big name brands, like Heinz, Walkers, Birds Eye etc, are going to start losing out. As their prices shoot up, more and more people are turning to supermarkets own brand products, especially the value ranges. Apart from a few particular products I always prefer to buy, I choose Tesco own brand for everything else simply because its so much cheaper.

Please
or

picklemewalnuts · 23/09/2022 09:17

I'm only buying what's cheap.

So not a regular set of things I usually get, but things that will make a cheap meal. If tomatoes have gone up, we don't have tomatoes.

However, it's going to get a bit boring soon!

Can I recommend looking at dried beans and pulses? They are cheap and fairly easy, especially if you have a pressure cooker.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?