My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think it is impossible to lose weight unless you have 1) time & 2) headspace?

135 replies

TuesdayBliss · 19/09/2022 18:09

By which I mean:

• You are getting enough sleep
  • You are not anxious about anything happening in your life
  • You are not stressed
  • You are not overwhelmed with work
  • You are not worried
  • You have free time to plan, exercise, cook and so on

If any of the above factors are an issue in your life, then I think it’s simply not possible to have the energy, time, and positive attitude that make up the necessary commitment to losing weight. AIBU?
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

408 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
43%
You are NOT being unreasonable
57%
Bubblebubblebah · 20/09/2022 22:49
  • i said the healthy will come when people are more motivated
  • eating less is not starving yourself...
  • not everyone has ED

For a person who says they cannot lose weight because they don't have time, all what I wrote applies.

This is another thing. Doing "but my unusual circumstances" to a post which clearly talks simply about people who don't have time, doesn't talk about ED, is not helpful imho.
Banana7 · 20/09/2022 23:12

I lose weight when I'm crazy busy at work but lack of sleep /stress /anxiety and not having time for exercising do the opposite.

ElizaCBennett · 20/09/2022 23:23

I’ve struggled with my weight all my life. I’m in my early sixties now. I’ve never been huge but always at least a couple of dress sizes too big for my frame. I’ve done every diet out there, lost it - put it back on etc. Very recently I’ve cut out all refined carbs and seed oils due to a close family member having another health scare on top of an ongoing serious condition. My sister also is on medication for rheumatoid arthritis and I realized that I could be next. So I changed my diet completely.
I have lost 30 pounds in less than 3 months. My body shape has changed, I’ve lost 5 inches off my waist, I have had no IBS symptoms since and I couldn’t be happier.

RIPWalter · 21/09/2022 11:16

@MaybeIWillFuckOffThen
I have a morbid fear of being hungry, totally out of proportion to the danger

I can really relate to this. I've always struggled (yoyo) with my weight due to childhood issues and sugar addiction, however a "fear of being hungry" was never an issue, I even lost a good amount of weight in my early 30s with 5:2 fasting. Then I got pregnant with DD, the nausea started at 3 weeks and ended, after some dramatic projectial vomiting in labour, once DD was born. The form it took for me was that I lost ALL normal hunger signals, even mild hunger became severe nausea, and in the 1st trimester I would vomit if I hadn't eaten for 2 hours (I could set my watch to it), but by 3rd trimester it was a much more manageble 4 hour window. This at least had the advantage that I was vomiting on a near empty stomach, so much less messy, and that I didn't become clinically unwell due to dehydration or malnutrition, and therefore avoided hospitalisation.

Since having DD, I have as your describe, a "morbid fear of being hungry, totally out of proportion to the danger", I know that nausea is no longer a problem, but the flashbacks to stuffing chicken nuggets from the hot meat counter in tesco, down my throat in a desperate attempt to not throw up whilst other shoppers looked on judgementally, are real. I don't know how to work round it. I've tried fasting again but it makes me cranky and panicky.

I think this is a hard thing for anyone who hasn't experienced it to believe let alone understand.

MilkToastHoney · 21/09/2022 12:54

Interesting… maybe it’s about how stress responses differ then. If those bullet points apply to me, then I ‘cope’ through junk food, buying ready meals instead of cooking, spending time on my phone as I feel I don’t have the energy to exercise.

If you are eating junk food, heavily processed ready meals etc, you are bound to feel lethargic and not in a good mentally because you’re putting all that rubbish into your body.

You don’t have to spend large amounts of time cooking but eating unprocessed foods will make you feel so much better and it will be easier to lose weight. If I don’t have much time to cook, I’ll make a quick salad or something like scrambled eggs that takes a few minutes. You don’t have to cook a big elaborate meal.
Just don’t buy junk at all, there is really no reason to have junk food in the house. You’ll feel SO much better for not putting it into your body.

With the fasting, to me an 8 hour eating window is normal or a bigger window than I would eat in. If you are eating a huge amount of calories and/or processed junk foods in an 8 hour window then it’s common sense you wouldn’t lose weight.

I think you are overthinking. It doesn’t have to be hard or complicated. Throw out all your junk food. Stick to foods that are naturally derived.
Eat dinner early and don’t snack in the evening. Eat breakfast/lunch late when you get up to naturally reduce your eating window. No sugar.

Hbv9988 · 06/10/2022 16:19

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

fellrunner85 · 06/10/2022 16:36

With the fasting, to me an 8 hour eating window is normal or a bigger window than I would eat in

Yes! I'm so glad it's not just me. This 16/8 thing makes no sense to me as it's essentially how I eat anyway. 16/8, really, is just skipping breakfast and not snacking in the evenings... right?

InCheesusWeTrust · 06/10/2022 16:41

fellrunner85 · 06/10/2022 16:36

With the fasting, to me an 8 hour eating window is normal or a bigger window than I would eat in

Yes! I'm so glad it's not just me. This 16/8 thing makes no sense to me as it's essentially how I eat anyway. 16/8, really, is just skipping breakfast and not snacking in the evenings... right?

Quite, but that doesn't sell books 😁

MilkToastHoney · 06/10/2022 17:41

Well, yes!! I’ve always ‘fasted’ long before I heard of IF.
I do have dinner early and then eat brunch late-ish and then dinner. I wouldn’t say I’m fasting though, just not snacking in the evening and then eat late-ish when I get up.
If you have dinner at 5pm then breakfast at 11am that’s not really a long time to go between meals.

I think a lot of people’s perception of food is really skewed and unhealthy. If you are eating a huge amount of calories/unhealthy food in an 8 hour window then that’s not ok just because someone has sold a ‘diet’ calling it IF.

superplumb · 06/10/2022 20:21

I think it depends. Some are stressed and lose weight as a result. When I stressed I hit the sugar and carbs hard. This make some feel crap and tired and then I dont want to exercise. I need to lose about 2 stone and I'm really struggling. I'm also yo yo dieting which is the worst thing I can do

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.