Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to think you shouldn’t take a newborn baby on a holiday abroad

142 replies

chardie87 · 18/09/2022 17:45

Ive recently just came back from a holiday to barcelona and it was the worst plane ride of my life! A poor newborn baby was screaming at the top of its lungs the whole flight. I have kids myself a Daughter who is 20 and a son who is 16 so i know how stressful i can be in a public place when your baby starts crying but i would never take a tiny baby on a 4 hour flight. It’s not fair for the baby and it affects all the other passengers on the plane. I think it’s quite irresponsible to bring a freshly born baby on a plane, i’m sure this will be an unpopular opinion but a lot of the people on the plane were being affected by it. From what i seen on the baby it was only about a month old, atleast wait a few more months until your baby is old enough to play with toys and be occupied!

AIBU to think it’s selfish to bring a tiny baby on a 4 hour flight abroad?

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Sandysandwich · 18/09/2022 19:09

No babies sometimes need to go on planes.
Just put some earphones on and be happy that you are not its parent who has to deal with the crying baby while getting a ton of death stares and snippy comments

Please
or

maddiemookins16mum · 18/09/2022 19:12

The whole flight or large parts of the flight? It would be quite unusual for any baby to literally cry without stopping even for 5 minutes for a whole two hours.

Please
or

SweetLittlePixie · 18/09/2022 19:12

I flew with DS 1.5 years and DD 1 month old. 2 flights total journey was 25h. It was for my siblings wedding and i wouldnt have missed that just because other people might be bothered on the plane 🤨
babies cry, bad luck. Stay home if it bothers you so much!
PS: Im usually the person praying for families to keep walking on the plane when they get on. “Please dont sit near me! Please dont sit near me!” But if they do, then thats how it is. Nothing you can do about it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Please
or

HelpIcantfindaname · 18/09/2022 19:13

My daughter & her family are going on holiday tonight. Her youngest is 6 months. The holiday was cancelled the previous 2 years due to Covid. So there was no baby in the family when this holiday was planned.
Should they have given up the holiday so the baby doesn't disturb anyone on the flight?

Please
or

mountainsunsets · 18/09/2022 19:15

YABVU.

My mum flew to Australia with me when I was a newborn. She said it was the easiest flight ever as I either fed or slept, and if she needed a wee, the cabin crew were more than happy to have cuddles Grin

She wasn't going for a jolly - she was taking me to visit my grandparents, cousins and all my other relatives after the heat of the Australian summer and before she went back to work after maternity leave.

Please
or

ReeseWitherfork · 18/09/2022 19:18

I’m going to be taking my miserable babies on a flight soon (and by miserable, I mean they cry a lot!). They’re a fair bit older though. It’s not a flight we could avoid. I hope to god no one is openly this judgmental, I’m already dreading it.

Please
or

dmask · 18/09/2022 19:18

I’ve found newborns are the best! Usually they just sleep, can’t rattle on chairs in front or pull people’s hair. Travelling with a newborn was one of the easiest phases for me, and I wish I made more of it. How can people travel anywhere otherwise? I don’t think it really matters the reason for the visit. Maybe I’ve been lucky but the ear pressure has never been a problem, I just feed them on take off or landing. I have a toddler and I am trying to look for places that don’t involve a long flight, but it won’t stop me going away. It’s no different being sat next to a drunk/smelly/snoring adult! I’d prefer a baby tbh!

Please
or

LT2 · 18/09/2022 19:18

It would have been easier taking my son when he was a newborn than it would be now I think (8 months). They couldn't help that it was screaming - probably hoped it would be sleeping and feeding the whole flight. Maybe it's ears hurt. Mine always used to when I was young!

Please
or

TabithaTittlemouse · 18/09/2022 19:19

Maybe they should put babies in the cargo hold?

Please
or

LT2 · 18/09/2022 19:21

@ReeseWitherfork most parents - which will probably be the majority of people on the flight - will sympathise and not judge. We've all been there!

Please
or

Tashface · 18/09/2022 19:21

"freshly born baby"

GrinGrinGrin

Please
or

Skolo · 18/09/2022 19:22

It is a short haul flight from Barcelona. Flights are always pretty shit. The plane is dirty, people fart, the loo is foul, the food is inedible(if you get any) the seat is cramped and uncomfortable, you get your elbow whacked by the drinks trolly and there is usually chewing gum stuffed in the pocket in front of you. It isn’t as if you are going to have a lovely time. A baby is the least of your worries and they have just as much right to be in that plane as you. I’d take a baby or toddler over a tutting adult any day.

Please
or

SherlocksDeerstalker · 18/09/2022 19:25

Luckily, nobody gives a shiny shit what you think, so there that.

Please
or

ReeseWitherfork · 18/09/2022 19:26

LT2 · 18/09/2022 19:21

@ReeseWitherfork most parents - which will probably be the majority of people on the flight - will sympathise and not judge. We've all been there!

Thank you. I hope so 🤞 they’re identical twin girls so I’m hoping if I put them in something matching then the cuteness factor might offset the annoying factor!

But I do like @TabithaTittlemouse suggestion about putting them in the hold. I wonder…

Please
or

tuscanleather · 18/09/2022 19:28

Fly private.

Please
or

dmask · 18/09/2022 19:30

TabithaTittlemouse · 18/09/2022 19:19

Maybe they should put babies in the cargo hold?

As a parent, I would pay handsomely for this extra service.

Please
or

Cakecakecheese · 18/09/2022 19:31

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea · 18/09/2022 19:08

I would be impressed if the baby were only a month old too, a couple of weeks to register the birth if they are lucky and then the actual passport application!

Me too. There's a backlog where I am and the earliest appointment I could get to register my baby's birth in July was just under 6 weeks after he was born.

Please
or

thefatpotato · 18/09/2022 19:36

YAB really fucking U.

There are myriad reasons why someone would be travelling with a newborn. I did it myself, twice. Once with my DD to attend a funeral, once with DS to immigrate.

And if people want to go on holiday with a newborn, it's none of your fucking business.

Please
or

KvotheTheBloodless · 18/09/2022 19:36

We took DS abroad when he was a few weeks old to be christened (his Godparents are both from DH's country of birth, and as we're Catholic it's important to get a baby baptised as quickly as possible, generally before 3 months). Nobody on the flight batted an eyelid other than a few people cooing a bit about how cute DS was. I'd have cried at you if you'd given me a catsbumface.

Please
or

Cruisebabe1 · 18/09/2022 19:40

Underwater11 · 18/09/2022 18:49

A flight is public transport, don’t want to be around the general public? Fly private. Otherwise stop dictating which humans can use public transport and which can’t. Also its a flight to Barcelona not Australia.

I did the flight from Australia non stop screaming- 23 hours. Never again. First class next time.

Please
or

Justleaveitblankthen · 18/09/2022 19:42

I think the OP has flown away from the thread ✈️

I had to travel regularly with my young DC, no problems of noise from them etc (they were slightly older than toddlers) but often the only flight was a charter, often occupied by lairy Brit tourists on hen/stag parties.

It works both ways.

Please
or

Justleaveitblankthen · 18/09/2022 19:43

Forgot to mention that the travel was necessary. Not off on jollies 😇

Please
or

Darbs76 · 18/09/2022 19:44

What if they had been to visit a dying relative? It’s a form of transport, suck it up. Perhaps if people offered to help (like the kind scouser who helped my SIL on her way to visit her sick mother in Poland last week) instead of complaining it would have helped the mother

Please
or

IWasFunBeforeMum · 18/09/2022 19:44

Ours were much easier when they were tiny as opposed to in June with a 3 and 4 year old wanting to run up and down the aisles.

Please
or

AloysiusBear · 18/09/2022 19:45

How do you know it was a newborn?

One of my DC had growth restriction in utero, was a little premature and was tiny as a baby - at 5 months old was 10lb in weight. people would have assumed she was barely a month old.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?