Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Prince George and the Queen's funeral

309 replies

KTKismet · 18/09/2022 05:17

Can't sleep and read this:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11222927/Prince-William-Princess-Kate-considering-taking-9-year-old-George-Queens-funeral.html

AIBU to think "palace aides" should wind their necks in and leave Prince George alone, rather than insisting he attends the queen's funeral.

He has a lifetime of service ahead of him, surely they should preserve his childhood as long as possible. I think it's hugely inappropriate, AIBU?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1139 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
78%
You are NOT being unreasonable
22%
Mummyoflittledragon · 18/09/2022 07:30

This is a tricky situation. Most funerals aren’t of international importance and televised. If this were my average, normal family and I had 3 children of whatever aged, I’d be taking all the children to the funeral. As a parent in this situation, I’d want the cameras off my children them arriving / departing in secret away from the crowds and media circus. Is all of that even possible?

loveireland · 18/09/2022 07:32

@BlooberryBiskits They were 15 and 12 I believe

Aprilx · 18/09/2022 07:32

I don’t know if he should attend the funeral or not, or rather I don’t know if 9 year old should. But I really dislike the idea of him being brought “to show continuity”, we already understand continuity, we know he is around. His parents should decide what is best for him, not the nation.

Hiheyho · 18/09/2022 07:33

I’m sure he will attend in private whilst the coffin reaches Windsor.

i hated going to funerals as a child but then we have opened coffins and swing a dead head was horrifying to me

TeenDivided · 18/09/2022 07:33

I think it is up to William & Kate, and George himself.
This isn't really about it being a funeral, as people have said he can go to the family one in Windsor. It is about whether the 3 of them think him attending a big state occasion, which is also the formal funeral of his gt grandmother, is a good idea or not.
They are slowly introducing him to certain public events, but so far either 'fun' ones or shorter ones. He might be keen and proud to attend, or might prefer not to.
I won't judge either way. Their call.

FaazoHuyzeoSix · 18/09/2022 07:35

I think it's unreasonable for anyone to have an opinion on this either way. It's a decision for W&K and the press should butt out and so should everyone else.

My granny was 96 when she died and my son was 9.5yo. He had had a loving relationship with his great granny who had kept all her marbles to the end and as a former nursery teacher, knew how to have fun with children even after she couldn't move much independently. My son came to the funeral and obviously it was a very sad time but it was right for him to be there and we felt he was old enough.

My siblings decided for their own children obviously, and one 8yo niece came too and she was mostly ok but was possibly a little too young. 7yo, 6yo and 5yo didn't come. A babe-in-arms who slept through the whole thing was there, but would have been removed if she woke.

What would be hideous would be if it would generally, if they were a private family, be appropriate for George to come to his GreatGranny's funeral, as it was for my son, but the amount of press focus and gossip about it made it impossible for him to do so.

TooMuchToDoTooLittleInclination · 18/09/2022 07:36

User98866 · 18/09/2022 07:08

Why wouldn’t he go to the funeral? He’s second in line to the throne and at 9 years old I think he was aware that his 96 year old great granny wouldn’t be around for ever.

Because he's 9.

it's going to be a massive event, a very long day & shown live around the world. That's WAY too much for a 9yo.

Being aware that someone is old & wont be around forever, doesn't stop the pain when they die, not even for an adult, let alone a child.

it's his Grandmother, have some heart.

the private ceremony at Windsor is much more suitable for the young ones, actually any of them that don't want cameras in their faces.

Because he's 9.

it's going to be a massive event, a very long day & shown live around the world. That's WAY too much for a 9yo.

Being aware that someone is old & wont be around forever, doesn't stop the pain when they die, not even for an adult, let alone a child.

it's his Grandmother, have some heart.

the private ceremony at Windsor is much more suitable for the young ones, actually any of them that don't want cameras in their faces.

Great Grandmother's

toomuchlaundry · 18/09/2022 07:38

@Hiheyho there is a service for 800 people at Windsor before the private burial. Even the private bit will be different as there will also be the coffin of Prince Philip.

Nothing is normal about this funeral

JaninaDuszejko · 18/09/2022 07:40

I think the 'optics' are that having a Royal family where 9yos are expected to attend a State funeral with 2000 guests and the world media on them is pretty inhuman to the child.

The children can go to the private family service in the evening. They weren't at Prince Philip's funeral but obviously the guest list was very restricted (Lady Louise and Viscount Severn were there but they are a generation up).

crumpet · 18/09/2022 07:40

I am not sure why this being a massive televised event is such a thing. He won’t be watching the tv if he’s at the funeral. He’s already participated in events with large crowds such as the jubilee and troping of the colour, and he wouldn’t be in a open carriage or on the balcony on this occasion, but in a car, and in a church.

CatsandFish · 18/09/2022 07:40

Posters insisting a 9 year old child should go are forgetting that this is NOT a 'ordinary funeral'. This funeral is going to go on for hours. George won't understand it and won't be able to sit still for that long. He is far too young. He should stay home.

carefullycourageous · 18/09/2022 07:40

NuNameNuMe · 18/09/2022 07:27

The Palace aides have a job. That job is to advise the family on things like optics.
The optics being we have several hundred years of monarchy to look forward to. No thanks. I'm not a republican and have great respect for the Queen and new King,'s public service. However I cannot stand these hidden courtiers who are more royal than the royals, manipulating public opinion this way. Take George to the chapel at Windsor castle to say goodbye out of the public eye.

Royal advisors are recruited and paid for by the Royal Family to advise them on how to manage public opinion. Every king or queen has advisors.

Over and over again I read things that suggest people want a monarch without a court.

crumpet · 18/09/2022 07:41

Don’t see how this is a biggie either way, whether he goes or not.

User287264 · 18/09/2022 07:43

Do you think he'd be allowed to sit with his parents of does the Prince of Wales have to sit in a special seat? If he could sit between his mum and dad he'd be fine but there are so many rules about who sits where and what order they all walk in. What if they all have to sit on those special individual gold seats with arms and he can't cuddle up close against his mum if he's feeling sad. All that would influence my decision to let my 9 yr old attend.

RockingMyFiftiesNot · 18/09/2022 07:45

Our DC went to their grandmother's funeral aged 9-14 (after much soul searching and bouncing it around with friends and family). I wouldn't have taken them much younger than 9 but it was plenty old enough to explain what would happen and prepare them eg that their parents and aunts and uncles would be upset. My youngest had a good cry when we left the church then after that, he was absolutely fine. Children need to say goodbye and grieve too and funerals cam help with that.
I can't see William and Catherine having him there if they don't agree with it, regardless of what any aide says.

DorchaAndLouis · 18/09/2022 07:46

I doubt the cameras would be "in his face". The official broadcasters tend to be very respectful on these occasions. Can't imagine them zooming in for a close up if he got upset.
Look at how they cut away from the Queen lying in state when anything untoward happens like someone being sick, man trying to grab the coffin etc. We didn't see any of that.

JaneyBrowns · 18/09/2022 07:47

He has a lifetime of service ahead of him, surely they should preserve his childhood as long as possible

preserve his childhood

How would it destroy his childhood?

Nothing to do with 'service'.

She was his great granny.

He'd be there as a grandson not an heir.

And going to a funeral doesn't destroy your childhood.

What odd ideas you have.

Do you think all children ought not to go to a funeral? At what age is it ok?

carefullycourageous · 18/09/2022 07:48

crumpet · 18/09/2022 07:40

I am not sure why this being a massive televised event is such a thing. He won’t be watching the tv if he’s at the funeral. He’s already participated in events with large crowds such as the jubilee and troping of the colour, and he wouldn’t be in a open carriage or on the balcony on this occasion, but in a car, and in a church.

I agree, what the child is being asked to do is not really more onerous than a wedding. It is a royal funeral, there is not going to be any weeping and wailing.

The concern for the parents will include the optics, they have to consider that. Does it look better for him to be there or to be excused? Protocol is he should be there. My guess is he will be excused as times have moved on and there will be more people on the side of excusing than attending.

MrsDThomas · 18/09/2022 07:49

People die. Kids know that. They need to attend funerals to understand that dead people aren’t taken to heaven by angels!

especially with his future. This is what it is.

EbbyEbs · 18/09/2022 07:51

autocollantes · 18/09/2022 05:47

Actually he'd be better off staying at home and watching it on TV in these circumstances. Kids never have that opportunity upon a relatives death. Plus he'd see more of what was happening on TV.

But it's not about his well-being or education.

The only reason for him to be there in person is so we can see him.

I don't want to see him trotted out. I'm an adult. I don't need to see a 9 year old at his great grandmother's funeral looking awkward, sad or bored to know the monarchy isn't going anywhere soon (which I'm fine about).

George permanently looks sad. He’s a glum little chap

CatsandFish · 18/09/2022 07:52

carefullycourageous · 18/09/2022 07:48

I agree, what the child is being asked to do is not really more onerous than a wedding. It is a royal funeral, there is not going to be any weeping and wailing.

The concern for the parents will include the optics, they have to consider that. Does it look better for him to be there or to be excused? Protocol is he should be there. My guess is he will be excused as times have moved on and there will be more people on the side of excusing than attending.

People are missing the fact that this is a funeral that will go on for hours. It's really not appropriate for a 9 year old child. They cannot be expected to sit still for that long or even understand it.

It is not a 'normal funeral'.

Mumofsend · 18/09/2022 07:52

If they were my children they would be at the private Windsor service, not this circus in London.

PAFMO · 18/09/2022 07:53

Mummyoflittledragon · 18/09/2022 07:30

This is a tricky situation. Most funerals aren’t of international importance and televised. If this were my average, normal family and I had 3 children of whatever aged, I’d be taking all the children to the funeral. As a parent in this situation, I’d want the cameras off my children them arriving / departing in secret away from the crowds and media circus. Is all of that even possible?

At Diana's funeral there was an agreement between the press and the RF and cameras weren't on the close family at all during the ceremony. So, it's possible, but given that this is a state funeral of a monarch not sure it will be the case tomorrow.

TheUntiedShoelace · 18/09/2022 07:53

I'd want to know which 'palace source' this came from before I gave it any serious thought. What with it being a spectacular piece of clickbait and all.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.