My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Child lost school item, school blaming me...?

190 replies

maiafawnly · 13/09/2022 17:12

Before the summer holiday, my 14 year old participated in an event for a competition where a group of student designed balloons which were sent into "space". On the balloons were recording devices logging the altitude the balloon reached and views from their balloon. The data was recorded onto a micro SD card. The data was to be analysed at the start of this term to then be submitted to the hosts of the competition.

The SD card was given to my 14 year old last day of term, and hes lost it. Micro sd cards are so small that finding it is a nigh on impossible task, and we've looked everywhere but cannot find it.

Obviously this is my childs fault, hes misplaced it, but school have called, 3 separate teachers infact have called, asking me what i intend to do about it...? What can i do? I didn't know he was being given the SD card or asked to bare any responsibility of keeping it safe for 7 weeks! And even if i had been asked, theres nothing i can do now its lost, i cant magically recreate data and images of the balloon. And tbh i think the school/teachers involved in the competition have been a bit irresponsible handing a micro sd card of data to a kid if thats the only place its stored and irretrievable if lost.

Aibu to simply ignore any further communication regarding this and have absolutely no consequences for my child at home? I dont think this is a punishable offence, my child made an accidental mistake over misplacing something he should never have been solely responsible for if it was that important?

OP posts:
SpiderinaWingMirror · 13/09/2022 19:05

I would do as you are.
Tell them you will supervise one more search but
A micro sd card could well have been vacuumed or through the washing machine. There is chuff all you can do.

carefullycourageous · 13/09/2022 19:07

You have to make your own decisions @maiafawnly but the correct thing to do when you lose something is replace it. Your job is to teach your child how to respond to this. You can't replace the data, but you should replace the SD card.

EscapeRoomToTheSun · 13/09/2022 19:08

It's not still in his computer?

Tiani4 · 13/09/2022 19:08

I've read your updates OP

Frankly If it was an important project and this was the only data source then teachers were negligent to give it to a child! Teenagers are notorious for losing things ...!

All you can do is look for it as best you can, check the hoover bag - but I suspect you've emptied it multiple times since start of school holidays

Aa a mum is help him to clear out his desk , pull it out, look behind and behind drawers. And check his bags and pockets
Other than that what else can you do. Your poor son must be very upset

Zero chance you are legally responsible for an sd card they gave a child! You didn't sign for it and he's well under the legal age for seeking financial reparation -So don't tell him he has to pay for it!!

School can afford to rebuy an sd card, it's a lesson to those teachers- they're moaning about the data lost when not one of the adults took responsibility to save it or secure it. And left it with a pupil for 7 weeks over school holidays 😱

maiafawnly · 13/09/2022 19:09

deflatedbirthday · 13/09/2022 19:04

I'm struggling to understand why they gave it to your DS for him to simply bring it back 6 weeks later? Was he supposed to do something with it over the holidays? If not, it seems like a pointless handover..

I have asked this question too and he doesnt know just says he was given it in place of the girl who said she would take it previously

OP posts:
stayathomer · 13/09/2022 19:09

I’m just thinking of myself at 14- I would have freaked out all summer- with it because I was afraid I’d lose it and then afterwards I’d have freaked!Hope your son’s ok!

treesandweeds · 13/09/2022 19:11

Why did the teacher think it was sensible to give it to a child to keep safe over a six week period? That's what I'd be asking the teacher. I'd also be asking what on earth he meant by he hopes for your sons sake he finds it. What will happen if he doesn't?! I would not be supporting or agreeing to any kind of punishment at school.

Tiani4 · 13/09/2022 19:11

Yanbu so deep breath and ignore the panicked calls from teachers who realise they fcked up.
98% of the gen population, let alone teachers could have predicted it would get lost over school holidays!!! By a child!!!

Tiani4 · 13/09/2022 19:13

Oh I don't like how that 3rd teacher phrased that

I would absolutely refuse for my child to have any detention or adverse consequences to this when it was a silly move by teachers
Of course he can apologise but if they bully him over it when he was told to take it rather than volunteered - nope nope and no

Choconut · 13/09/2022 19:17

Tell them that just as they are not responsible if he loses something at school, you are not responsible if he loses something at home.

wellobviouslyyoucan · 13/09/2022 19:18

Tell them it's a school matter

ImEasyLikeSundayMorning · 13/09/2022 19:20

All my boys would have lost that.
I would have lost that.

DH would have lost that (and then he would have found it again).

I can't believe they thought it wouldn't get lost.

keeprunningupthathill · 13/09/2022 19:23

Either he's old enough to be responsible for it, in which case it's sod all to do with you, or he's not, in which case it's their mistake to give it to him.

Jalepenojello · 13/09/2022 19:23

This is on your son. They’re not expensive so I’d replace it. You said yourself that 3 calls seemed like a communication issue on their end so not sure why people are mentioning harassment.

At 14 they’re usually in charge of expensive equipment (phones, laptops) sitting exams and for adhearing to deadlines etc. Looking after an SD card seems a fair ask and he messed up.

TeenDivided · 13/09/2022 19:23

Was he wearing a blazer when given it?
Have you quadruple checked all the pockets? Something that small could easily be overlooked when checking pockets for the washing machine and it could be safely wedged in at the bottom somewhere.
Ditto trousers.

keeprunningupthathill · 13/09/2022 19:27

Jalepenojello · 13/09/2022 19:23

This is on your son. They’re not expensive so I’d replace it. You said yourself that 3 calls seemed like a communication issue on their end so not sure why people are mentioning harassment.

At 14 they’re usually in charge of expensive equipment (phones, laptops) sitting exams and for adhearing to deadlines etc. Looking after an SD card seems a fair ask and he messed up.

It seems to be about the loss of the data rather than replacing the card though. Replacing it isn't going to solve the problem and they've not asked for that. They seem to expect OP to pull her finger out to miraculously find it for some reason.

carefullycourageous · 13/09/2022 19:29

I can't believe they thought it wouldn't get lost. I agree with this!

mathanxiety · 13/09/2022 19:30

What GroggyLegs said.

You are dealing with fools here. It is probably going to get more frustrating.

YY to what exactly was that threat all about? Sounds like bullying.

itsgettingweird · 13/09/2022 19:37

They were irresponsible releasing balloons.

Even I have been educated in the dangers of that and I'm very kid back about most things!

The sd card is the least of their worries.

But he's - you can't exactly recreate data so even if you brought a replacement it's useless!

diddl · 13/09/2022 19:42

If it's an after school club competition isn't it just bad luck for his group?

If it's an important school project then why weren't all the cards left at school?

maiafawnly · 13/09/2022 19:45

itsgettingweird · 13/09/2022 19:37

They were irresponsible releasing balloons.

Even I have been educated in the dangers of that and I'm very kid back about most things!

The sd card is the least of their worries.

But he's - you can't exactly recreate data so even if you brought a replacement it's useless!

Just to reiterate. It wasnt a plastic normal balloon, it was a high-altitude balloon designed to go up into space and back down again, they tracked and retrieved I. No environmental dangers. The competition was to design the style of ballon and "basket" to see who could get their's to go the highest in conjunction with an engineering company that then created the ballons the students designed after researching. They were then all released at the same time, same location, on a day when the weather was suitable, tracked and collected. No animals were hurt.

OP posts:
maiafawnly · 13/09/2022 19:50

And in all honesty, my sons school have no chance of winning as they already know at least 3 other teams got much higher so at this point, the data isn't even important regarding the competition. They are now missing out on viewing the images and looking at the statistics and seeing exactly why their ballon failed and what they could have improved upon - which is obviously a massive shame for the students involved. But the competition was already lost as they collected their balloon much sooner than other teams.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

BatteryPoweredMammy · 13/09/2022 19:53

Do the school teachers routinely give random items of school equipment to pupils to look after over the summer holidays?

If not, then why on earth did they do it on this occasion?

Poor planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on yours! I’d be inclined to shrug and say, ‘how unfortunate’.

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 13/09/2022 20:58

I don't like the last teachers response. I wouldn't have been impressed with that at all!

I've lost one of those things myself and I'm in my 40s! Had all the pictures of ds on it from nursery . Thought it was somewhere safe , can't remember where though !

IdisagreeMrHochhauser · 13/09/2022 21:47

He's probably put it somewhere safe and forgotten where he's put it.

My zip broke and a month later I found the safe place I'd put it - totally random.

It might still turn up. Assume you've checked all the places he might've stowed it for safekeeping.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.