My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Why are people so desperate to 'be a part' of history right now?

127 replies

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 15:39

I understand we're living through a significant moment, but I don't really get the lengths people are going to to 'be a part' of said history.

I'm watching the news and the amount of people outside Buckingham Palace saying they've travelled for hours because they just HAD to be a part of this, I'm finding it quite mind boggling.

I can't imagine travelling across the country just to simply 'be there', or waiting for hours in huge crowds to see a glimpse of a hearse go by, or even camping out for DAYS to walk past a coffin lying in state as some people have said they will be doing.

If they were all dedicated royalists I would understand 100%, but I doubt all the grinning, laughing, selfie takers outside Buckingham Palace fit that description. I think it's rather odd and distasteful that people are using someones death to have a 'fun' day out. Do they think the history books are going to care that David from Bristol was there in person?

Surely we're all a part of history right now just by living in the same timeline? No need for all the crass selfies outside the palace or ghoulish desire to stare at a coffin containing a dead woman we didn't even know.

We look back now at Princess Dianas death and cringe at how the public acted, I can't help but wonder if we'll be doing the same thing in the future regarding The Queens death.

OP posts:
Vapeyvapevape · 11/09/2022 15:42

I can sort of understand if you are a staunch royalist but some of the people that have been interviewed can't really come up with a reason as to why they're there . Some of the interviews have been really quite cringey.
I guess it's so they can post it on social media.

FruitPastilleNut · 11/09/2022 15:42

Yanbu. People are bonkers.

We're in London next Sunday - unavoidable and a long planned trip. I'm dreading it because the M25 is probably going to be gridlocked with idiots on the way to camp out.

Pedallleur · 11/09/2022 15:44

A genuine once in 2 lifetimes moment. Queen was born in 1926, there will be 2 or 3 generations of some families will have lived and died in that time. She has always been there. I am not a royalist but get the moment. The good news is we won't have to wait 75 years for the next one.

the80sweregreat · 11/09/2022 15:45

I was genuinely upset on Thursday and watched history in the making yesterday too , but nothing would make me go onto London just now. I haven't gone any of the Royal or state occasions.
I admire people that do. If this makes them happy and they can queue for hours , then good for them! I know a few republicans who are very vocal about wanting to abolish them , they are entitled to their views, but I can't see the Royals going anywhere for a while yet.

AsanteSana · 11/09/2022 15:49

Dunno OP, I can't fathom it either! Every day is history in the making, significant events happen every day, somewhere in the world, to someone or collective groups of people. Media hyperbole I guess!

Sceptre86 · 11/09/2022 15:49

We live in Scotland, I'd like to go to Edinburgh tomorrow but we also have a young baby so I can't spend all day queueing and then have got school pickup to do. Why would I want to go? I rather liked her when she was alive, it's an end of an era and a significant moment in history. As it is I'll say a prayer for her at home.

TeenDivided · 11/09/2022 15:49

Because it is interesting, and nice to have individual, first hand memories of these things. My DF was at the last 2 coronations, and it has been interesting hearing him talk about his memories of them.
I went to hear the Proclamation this afternoon in my town because being a part of things is more real than just watching on TV.

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 15:50

Vapeyvapevape · 11/09/2022 15:42

I can sort of understand if you are a staunch royalist but some of the people that have been interviewed can't really come up with a reason as to why they're there . Some of the interviews have been really quite cringey.
I guess it's so they can post it on social media.

My favourite is when they get asked "what did the Queen mean to you?" and they pause for at least 5 seconds before saying something generic like "she was just special" or "she was just the Queen!"

OP posts:
Badger1970 · 11/09/2022 15:51

I blame social media.

Though thankfully this has all been really respectful and dignified so far.

The circus around Diana's death was a national embarrassment.

dudsville · 11/09/2022 15:51

Some people like to do things that you don't like to do. I also am not a royalist but it doesn't boggle my mind that they exist and want to do activities that are in line with that interest

bellac11 · 11/09/2022 15:52

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 15:39

I understand we're living through a significant moment, but I don't really get the lengths people are going to to 'be a part' of said history.

I'm watching the news and the amount of people outside Buckingham Palace saying they've travelled for hours because they just HAD to be a part of this, I'm finding it quite mind boggling.

I can't imagine travelling across the country just to simply 'be there', or waiting for hours in huge crowds to see a glimpse of a hearse go by, or even camping out for DAYS to walk past a coffin lying in state as some people have said they will be doing.

If they were all dedicated royalists I would understand 100%, but I doubt all the grinning, laughing, selfie takers outside Buckingham Palace fit that description. I think it's rather odd and distasteful that people are using someones death to have a 'fun' day out. Do they think the history books are going to care that David from Bristol was there in person?

Surely we're all a part of history right now just by living in the same timeline? No need for all the crass selfies outside the palace or ghoulish desire to stare at a coffin containing a dead woman we didn't even know.

We look back now at Princess Dianas death and cringe at how the public acted, I can't help but wonder if we'll be doing the same thing in the future regarding The Queens death.

This is nothing new. If you know your history and read about various deaths/coronations/processions throughout centuries of history, people gather, want to be part of the crowd etc

Even at historical battles, because in the old days they were planned in advance as to where the battle would take place, people turned up to spectate, sell goods, cheer on their husbands/fathers etc.

If you were there, you're part of it

Its not for me personally as I dont like crowds or standing up! But Im watching it on the telly as best I can. Im very interested in the processes.

OldTinHat · 11/09/2022 15:52

My little house has seen nine monarchs so I live in history and I embrace it. Means so much to me.

HilarityEnsues · 11/09/2022 15:53

No idea, everyone I speak to is just getting on with their everyday lives and avoiding the news!

I don't care if others are sad, but the idea of going to see a coffin pass by isn't for me, put it that way. I've seen too many coffins lately and this isn't one of relevance to me.

It's a massive shame all this outpouring of grief isn't resulting in something more concrete, like a charity/new hospital, all donations instead of flowers, but there seems to be the idea to just let people run with it now. No-one I know really liked the RF that much before now and now the Queen's a saint (she was great, but not a saint) and Prince Charles is absolutely fab (hmmm, nope).

MarshaBradyo · 11/09/2022 15:54

dudsville · 11/09/2022 15:51

Some people like to do things that you don't like to do. I also am not a royalist but it doesn't boggle my mind that they exist and want to do activities that are in line with that interest

Agree just let people do it their way

bellac11 · 11/09/2022 15:55

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 15:50

My favourite is when they get asked "what did the Queen mean to you?" and they pause for at least 5 seconds before saying something generic like "she was just special" or "she was just the Queen!"

I completely agree with this however!

Im watching catch up of the cortege and for some reason they're interviewing people outside Buckingham Palace and they made the huge mistake of interviewing a teenager, never known for their articulation. What Ive learned about the Queen from that interview is that she was really 'good' and really 'special'.

ByeByeMr · 11/09/2022 15:57

Agree 100%

MrsDanversGlidesAgain · 11/09/2022 15:57

OldTinHat · 11/09/2022 15:52

My little house has seen nine monarchs so I live in history and I embrace it. Means so much to me.

Out of interest I counted up and my flat has been around for six monarchs (counting Charles III).

I don't actually see the problem in people being unable to articulate fully what HM meant to them, it's not a test. Probably for a lot of people the thought that she's dead and we have a King is just sinking in.

carefullycourageous · 11/09/2022 16:06

I think it is weird people blame 'social media' when humans throughout history have done this - go and stare at things.

tobee · 11/09/2022 16:06

carefullycourageous · 11/09/2022 16:06

I think it is weird people blame 'social media' when humans throughout history have done this - go and stare at things.

Yes.

pigsDOfly · 11/09/2022 16:08

We look back now at Princess Dianas death and cringe at how the public acted,

I don't know about 'look back', I found all the public 'wailing and gnashing of teeth' more than cringe making at the time.

Bloody ridiculous in my opinion.

Yes, I've never understood this desire to want to pretend famous people are more than just someone you've seen on television or read about.

The death of the Queen is a big thing for country but it doesn't really impact the lives of the vast majority of the population.

Personally I can't mourn for someone I don't know and never had a relationship with be that celebrities or royalty, just seems a bit me, me, me tbh.

Certainly, with the death of Diana there seemed to be a lot of competitive 'mourning',

TulipCat · 11/09/2022 16:12

People want to be part of living history and being there in person is more in the moment than watching it on TV. Some people thrive on in-person experience, and others feel just as connected watching it on TV. Each to their own.

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 11/09/2022 16:15

Yeah I just want it to blow over and get on with life now. Was interesting on the day she died but now I can’t feign interest in “96 yo woman dies shocker”.

No disrespect to her or anything but it’s just not something I feel I need to “be part of”. I’d leave that to her family and the powers that be.

watcherintherye · 11/09/2022 16:16

The thing is we’re all a part of history, just by being alive at this time!

Westernesse · 11/09/2022 16:17

Some people just have to find ways of making everything about themselves, even if it is only in a small way. It’s a deep-seated need they have.

lomoko · 11/09/2022 16:18

It's natural for humans to want to share in collective experiences, particularly around time and change. We are social animals aware of our own mortality.

Threshold events birth, death, the new year, a new king these are all common and natural things to gather around. Every culture in every place has done this and found ways to mark these moments. It's actually more bizarre that you don't know this about humans.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.