My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Why are people so desperate to 'be a part' of history right now?

127 replies

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 15:39

I understand we're living through a significant moment, but I don't really get the lengths people are going to to 'be a part' of said history.

I'm watching the news and the amount of people outside Buckingham Palace saying they've travelled for hours because they just HAD to be a part of this, I'm finding it quite mind boggling.

I can't imagine travelling across the country just to simply 'be there', or waiting for hours in huge crowds to see a glimpse of a hearse go by, or even camping out for DAYS to walk past a coffin lying in state as some people have said they will be doing.

If they were all dedicated royalists I would understand 100%, but I doubt all the grinning, laughing, selfie takers outside Buckingham Palace fit that description. I think it's rather odd and distasteful that people are using someones death to have a 'fun' day out. Do they think the history books are going to care that David from Bristol was there in person?

Surely we're all a part of history right now just by living in the same timeline? No need for all the crass selfies outside the palace or ghoulish desire to stare at a coffin containing a dead woman we didn't even know.

We look back now at Princess Dianas death and cringe at how the public acted, I can't help but wonder if we'll be doing the same thing in the future regarding The Queens death.

OP posts:
SylviasMotherSaid · 11/09/2022 17:24

I honestly think it’s made quite a few friends and acquaintances of mine go a bit loopy for want of a better phase . People who have never showed much interest in the Royals . One friend was moaning because another friend spoke about her back pain saying now is not the time for complaining . Another friend got angry at her sister for asking if the holiday affected DWP payments saying how disrespectful. I like royal history and watching the main events on tv but I feel like people in my social circle are more obsessed and hung up on all of this than they would be if one of us had had a bereavement this week . I actually can’t wait until it’s all over now. Things like the cost of living crisis and all the closures and trying to get hold of a GP haven’t disappeared because of this !

Womencanlift · 11/09/2022 17:24

Well social media wasn’t around when Diana was around and the reaction was the same if not bigger so it’s nothing to do with taking videos for the gram for most people

I do think it’s a shared community feeling of respecting a lady who has been the constant in everyone’s lifetime

And there will be people who do feel that this is a historic moment that they want to be part of to tell people in the future.

I have a very close relative who is a republican and I have avoided speaking to them since Thursday because I can’t be arsed with the comments I will I undoubtedly here if I mention that I went to the Mall to pay my own respects

Womencanlift · 11/09/2022 17:25

*hear

Darbs76 · 11/09/2022 17:26

Most want to pay respects. I always go to royal occasions. As I love the atmosphere. Obviously be different with a death, but it will still be something I want to be part of. I’m waiting until I go and see the queen lying in state and I’ll visit the flowers too. I don’t see anything wrong with it.

lightisnotwhite · 11/09/2022 17:32

I haven’t got the time or money to do it but it’s nice to be part of something so historic.
I loved our local jubilee cebrations, less so going to London to see the Diamond Jubilee. But I can see why people are interested in seeing the Queen for the last time and to think you did something to contribute to her final celebration.

BellePeppa · 11/09/2022 17:33

I’ve always preferred to just watch big historical events from the sidelines (ie my tv). I’ve never had the urge to go and physically be a part of it. I lived near London when Diana died but never felt inclined to go to BP or lay flowers although I was shocked about the news.

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 17:33

Darbs76 · 11/09/2022 17:26

Most want to pay respects. I always go to royal occasions. As I love the atmosphere. Obviously be different with a death, but it will still be something I want to be part of. I’m waiting until I go and see the queen lying in state and I’ll visit the flowers too. I don’t see anything wrong with it.

I don't buy the paying respects stuff. Wanting to be there to 'be a part' of history when they couldn't care less about the royal family previously is self motivated.

OP posts:
OrangeFlowersAreLovely · 11/09/2022 17:36

Badger1970 · 11/09/2022 15:51

I blame social media.

Though thankfully this has all been really respectful and dignified so far.

The circus around Diana's death was a national embarrassment.

It was. All that wailing and screaming in front of her two grieving children. Mortifying.

catmothertes1 · 11/09/2022 17:37

Vapeyvapevape · 11/09/2022 15:42

I can sort of understand if you are a staunch royalist but some of the people that have been interviewed can't really come up with a reason as to why they're there . Some of the interviews have been really quite cringey.
I guess it's so they can post it on social media.

It's so cringing when they interview children,I just have to turn the sound down to not hear the drivel talked about by a little girl getting her 30 seconds of fame.

IncessantNameChanger · 11/09/2022 17:38

I went to Buckingham Palace on Friday. Its just a short direct train ride for me. Because she was the only Queen I have ever known, yes I was upset. Not devasted, not hysterical. Just sad. It made me realise even the most steady constant people will eventually die. She devoted her life to service. I wanted to show that I was grateful for her service. I'm not a massive royalist. But I did respect the Queen.

Bottom line? She is a an incredible woman. We need strong incredible woman for our daughters to flourish.

Manekinek0 · 11/09/2022 17:38

How do these people just drop everything? Do they not have jobs or families?

bellac11 · 11/09/2022 17:40

catmothertes1 · 11/09/2022 17:37

It's so cringing when they interview children,I just have to turn the sound down to not hear the drivel talked about by a little girl getting her 30 seconds of fame.

You missed a classic earlier, Im still watching the cortege on catch up so it hasnt reached Edinburgh yet and its being filled by clips of people being interviewed at Buckingham Palace

Latest interview was a little girl, probably about 6 or so, each question the child answered 'yeah', (to questions like 'have your parents told you about the queen) and the interviewer then said 'yeah?' in answer and this went on, and on, and on, and on,

Awful

lavenderlou · 11/09/2022 17:40

I live close enough to London to have just gone in for the afternoon. The death of the country's longest reigning monarch seems like such a significant event. I thought it would be a memorable experience for my DC (10 and 12) to experience the crowds, the flowers etc. We combined it with visiting a couple of other places they wanted to go to. By pure chance we happened to be standing in the right place at the right time to see King Charles and Camilla walk about the crowds so it was indeed an experience they will remember forever.

Ponoka7 · 11/09/2022 17:45

If I had a car, seat I'd have gone up to Scotland, but I like having a royal family and I connect the Queen with my Mother and Grandmother, who have both died, so the reasons are probably complex. I've seen the Queen twice, but none of her children.

"How do these people just drop everything? Do they not have jobs or families?"

WFH and can swap things around, time off, not in anyway, not working etc etc.

sayanythingelse · 11/09/2022 17:49

I wouldn't go personally but I can see why people do.

I have elderly family members (some of whom are no longer with us) who have told me all sorts of stories about being stationed overseas in the war, being a child evacuee, seeing new monarchs and prime ministers, etc. It's truly fascinating to hear about history directly from someone who has lived through it. I guess that's why people go, so they can see history in the making.

lavenderlou · 11/09/2022 17:53

I don't work at the weekend. I took my kids with me.

derxa · 11/09/2022 17:54

Most mumsnetters don't answer their front door bell. They also have a very squeamish view of death so your post will chime with many on here OP.

Noteverybodylives · 11/09/2022 17:57

I love being a part of history.
It’s hard to explain why.

There have been many times where I just happened to be in a place where something big was happening and being there was surreal.

I can remember exactly where I was when I heard about the twin towers terrorist attack or other big events in my life.

I have a need to live my life to the fullest and I want to be able to look back on my life and have loads of memories.

I won’t go to London for this but i will mark the occasion in some way and if I lived close by then I would go just to be apart of it.

jetadore · 11/09/2022 17:58

For clout on socials.

Womencanlift · 11/09/2022 17:58

Manekinek0 · 11/09/2022 17:38

Most people don’t work 24/7 and also if they have family they go together 🤷‍♀️

Yellowjacketforwinter · 11/09/2022 17:59

I find it very strange that anyone finds it strange! If people wanting to see the Queen's coffin and pay respects wasn't a thing and wasn't acceptable in British culture then the RF would have flown her coffin from Aberdeen airport to London. They didn't, they organised the route, they have organised the march from Hollyrood to St Giles tomorrow. It's paying respects to our Queen of decades who has passed away.

Atmywitsend29 · 11/09/2022 18:01

Yanbu.
The fact we are all living right now as these events happen, means we are all a part of it.
They did a proclamation in a town near me today, I was actually in town today. Very glad I missed it and missed the people crowded into a small area to watch it.

derxa · 11/09/2022 18:02

Imagine the fainting spells and clutching of pearls if the Queen had an open coffin like past Russian leaders.

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 18:03

Yellowjacketforwinter · 11/09/2022 17:59

I find it very strange that anyone finds it strange! If people wanting to see the Queen's coffin and pay respects wasn't a thing and wasn't acceptable in British culture then the RF would have flown her coffin from Aberdeen airport to London. They didn't, they organised the route, they have organised the march from Hollyrood to St Giles tomorrow. It's paying respects to our Queen of decades who has passed away.

I'm not talking about people who genuinely want to pay respects. I'm referring to the people who are travelling miles and camping out JUST to "be a part of history" and take selfies. As if someones death is a fun, enjoyable event.

OP posts:
e323 · 11/09/2022 18:07

YANBU

I was actually wide mouthed looking at the TV when I saw this man showing his 6 DAY OLD baby. Like wtf 😂

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.