My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Why are people so desperate to 'be a part' of history right now?

127 replies

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 15:39

I understand we're living through a significant moment, but I don't really get the lengths people are going to to 'be a part' of said history.

I'm watching the news and the amount of people outside Buckingham Palace saying they've travelled for hours because they just HAD to be a part of this, I'm finding it quite mind boggling.

I can't imagine travelling across the country just to simply 'be there', or waiting for hours in huge crowds to see a glimpse of a hearse go by, or even camping out for DAYS to walk past a coffin lying in state as some people have said they will be doing.

If they were all dedicated royalists I would understand 100%, but I doubt all the grinning, laughing, selfie takers outside Buckingham Palace fit that description. I think it's rather odd and distasteful that people are using someones death to have a 'fun' day out. Do they think the history books are going to care that David from Bristol was there in person?

Surely we're all a part of history right now just by living in the same timeline? No need for all the crass selfies outside the palace or ghoulish desire to stare at a coffin containing a dead woman we didn't even know.

We look back now at Princess Dianas death and cringe at how the public acted, I can't help but wonder if we'll be doing the same thing in the future regarding The Queens death.

OP posts:
derxa · 11/09/2022 18:08

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 18:03

I'm not talking about people who genuinely want to pay respects. I'm referring to the people who are travelling miles and camping out JUST to "be a part of history" and take selfies. As if someones death is a fun, enjoyable event.

Where I'm from, funerals are a social event and people don't even need to know the deceased well.

justfiveminutes · 11/09/2022 18:09

Luckily, it is not compulsory so you can just carry on as you were and ignore the whole thing.

Obviously, your imagination extends to realising that other people feel differently.

Some people are genuinely moved and want to pay their respects. There was a thread on here yesterday from someone who had never been in London and hated crowds, but was moved to go and lay flowers. Some people feel as if it is a key moment in history and want to be in London to experience it or come together with others who feel the same.

Prescottdanni123 · 11/09/2022 18:12

In this day and age, if you don't take numerous photos/selfies and put them on social media, it doesn't count.

justfiveminutes · 11/09/2022 18:12

I suppose the selfies will be to record where they were and what they were doing during these 10 days of mourning. So that they can remember in the future, show children, tell grandchildren. Who knows and really who cares. I'm sure most of us do something in our lives that others would find unfathomable.

Excited101 · 11/09/2022 18:13

I went today, the queue was ridiculous. It didn’t look too bad from the outset but it was all so penned off, and you were so limited where you could go and we were all channeled down really narrow pathways.

The show of flowers weren’t ridiculous but I saw so many people later with flowers to take. Honestly- it seemed wasteful. You see homeless people sitting out on the streets and walking past them are countless people carrying bunches of flowers to be left out on the street to rot.

im really sad the queen has died, I think she did a wonderful job, and has been a real connection in history. I always wanted to see her but I never got the chance. I live in London but haven’t ever made it to the weddings/jubilees etc so I wanted to go in today just to see this big moment in time. I didn’t take selfies or flowers. I went on my own just to be there.

KittyCatsby · 11/09/2022 18:15

I watched the tv avidly when we were told all was not ok with the Queen and the family were going to Balmoral. I also watched the proclamation for its historical significance. I will also watch the funeral on tv.
I can't imagine going to queue to see the coffin of line the streets.
I also can't help but wonder why people are buying flowers for £5 -£20 odd and Putting them with the million other ones in a pile which is going to rot.
Imagine that money going to a charity instead.

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 18:19

derxa · 11/09/2022 18:08

Where I'm from, funerals are a social event and people don't even need to know the deceased well.

Nice :) Not the case in the UK though.

OP posts:
OrangeFlowersAreLovely · 11/09/2022 18:29

I understand the anger over flowers, plastic, waste etc but I wish people would be a bit kinder about it. Not everyone thinks the same way and buying flowers, however pointless it may be, is just you know... being nice?

Twoshoesnewshoes · 11/09/2022 18:30

I’m not a royalist, I’m not sad and I’m certainly not grieving .
however I am considering traveling three hours to London to see the coffin in state.

I’ve realised in the past few years that I get a lot out of being with lots of general people on the big occasions.
I’m not sporty but I loved the energy at the olympics, I go to national rugby for the same reason.

we went to hear the Pope give mass when we were on holiday in Rome, it was really something to see how important it was to people in the crowd, and get caught up in their reverence.
I’m not on social media and I don’t take selfie’s! Please don’t assume you know everyone’s reasons for their behavior or that you have better judgement than others - surely it’s great we’re all different and make different choices?

derxa · 11/09/2022 18:31

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 18:19

Nice :) Not the case in the UK though.

Oh yes in the UK. Scottish rural

MindPalace · 11/09/2022 18:33

Totally agree. There will be some royalists who sincerely wish to pay their respects, but the large majority will be going just to boast they were there, or because of FOMO or to post on social media.

I suppose at least people are honest about it and quite openly saying they want to be part of history etc and treating it like an exciting day out. Quite distasteful but a sign of the ‘me me me’ times we live in, I think.

lavenderlou · 11/09/2022 18:37

I didn't take any selfies, don't put pictures on FB and don't have an Instagram account so is it OK that I went? I did take some photos of the DC looking at the flowers, hope that's allowed.

Not sure why people need to be so judgmental about others feeling they want to be there. I find some of the pictures and poems people share on SM about the Queen's death silly but I haven't questioned why people want to share them.

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 18:38

MindPalace · 11/09/2022 18:33

Totally agree. There will be some royalists who sincerely wish to pay their respects, but the large majority will be going just to boast they were there, or because of FOMO or to post on social media.

I suppose at least people are honest about it and quite openly saying they want to be part of history etc and treating it like an exciting day out. Quite distasteful but a sign of the ‘me me me’ times we live in, I think.

Absolutely. Couldn't have said it better myself.

OP posts:
Iabhorlaziness · 11/09/2022 18:38

Attention-seeking. There's a lot of it about.

jays · 11/09/2022 18:40

I think our society is so fragmented that people just want to come together to be part of something. To feel connected.

scissorsandsellotape · 11/09/2022 18:42

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 15:39

I understand we're living through a significant moment, but I don't really get the lengths people are going to to 'be a part' of said history.

I'm watching the news and the amount of people outside Buckingham Palace saying they've travelled for hours because they just HAD to be a part of this, I'm finding it quite mind boggling.

I can't imagine travelling across the country just to simply 'be there', or waiting for hours in huge crowds to see a glimpse of a hearse go by, or even camping out for DAYS to walk past a coffin lying in state as some people have said they will be doing.

If they were all dedicated royalists I would understand 100%, but I doubt all the grinning, laughing, selfie takers outside Buckingham Palace fit that description. I think it's rather odd and distasteful that people are using someones death to have a 'fun' day out. Do they think the history books are going to care that David from Bristol was there in person?

Surely we're all a part of history right now just by living in the same timeline? No need for all the crass selfies outside the palace or ghoulish desire to stare at a coffin containing a dead woman we didn't even know.

We look back now at Princess Dianas death and cringe at how the public acted, I can't help but wonder if we'll be doing the same thing in the future regarding The Queens death.

I completely
Agree with you.

I am enjoying all the coverage but even though am only about 1hr by public transport to Green Park I can't be doing with all of that.

I loved the queen and am sad but just don't understand why people feel they need a part of history.

Poor William and Kate
Someone on a massive Facebook group I am in went down to Windsor and met William
And kate said what their conversations were About.
"
Conversation with Kate was about it
being a sad day, did they want to go home for
tea, did they leave a note, did they leave
flowers?
Conversation with William was about why
were they there, did they know who had
died, did they bring flowers, how much he
liked my child t-shirt and
played with the spikes on her shoulder, and
why had she been crying, was she hurt and is
she OK now. And thank you for coming.
"

I am
Pleased that she for her day out and don't wish her any ill will. But I honestly don't get it.

CuteAsDucks · 11/09/2022 18:45

Nice :) England then

OP posts:
Luredbyapomegranate · 11/09/2022 18:46

It’s the desire to be part of a collective moment, which is going to be stronger if you go to Buckingham palace than watch SM. I think that’s human.

Plus it’s stepping out of everyday life which is a nice thing to do in a change is as good as a rest sort of a way, and it’s an opportunity to reflect on your own life as part of taking time out to do something different.

steppon · 11/09/2022 18:50

No need for all the crass selfies outside the palace or ghoulish desire to stare at a coffin containing a dead woman we didn't even know.

why it's ghoulish to watch a coffin go past?

steppon · 11/09/2022 18:53

I was going to Waterloo on Friday evening so went up earlier than normal & walked from Green Park, past Buckingham P & up past Big Ben. Personally I thought it was great for the dc to see that area traffic free.

tabulahrasa · 11/09/2022 18:59

I was just about to say, I’m Scottish - you go to pretty much everyone’s funeral.

I’m considering going tomorrow when they move to st Giles. I live not that far away, as in, I go into Edinburgh several times a week for work and other reasons anyway.

I’m not a royalist, and tbh I can’t really articulate why I want to other than... it’s a big change and I want to pay my respects.

I wouldn’t be taking selfie’s for social media though 😂 I don’t even do those unless I have to for work, and even then as few as possible, lol

BonesOfWhatYouBelieve · 11/09/2022 19:03

I don't know - I think if you had an older relative today who told a story about how they were in the crowd at the queen's coronation, or they watched the king's funeral procession on the street that would be quite interesting to hear what it was like.
Maybe it's different now everything is filmed so much, you don't really need people to tell you what it was like in 50 years time.

Nesbo · 11/09/2022 19:05

Death, and particularly the death of individuals who have high status within our “tribe”, is one of the most most significant and ritualised events in human history.

As a species we have literally spent millions of person-hours erecting monuments to commemorate death. Countless individuals have been sacrificed. People have thrown themselves on funeral pyres to partake in death. With all that in mind, it can’t be that surprising that some people are happy to pop on the bus to be part of the ritual.

Blossomtoes · 11/09/2022 19:13

I blame social media

I wonder what they blamed when the whole of London was rammed for the Coronation? I’d have liked to go to the lying in state next week, sadly we’re on holiday. I completely understand why people want to feel part of such a historically significant period. Most, if any, of us will ever see another Queen or such a long reign.

Dragonskin · 11/09/2022 19:16

Social media likes and shares for a lot of them, they don't actually care

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.