my reign had seen its end.

70 years I had served my Country,

as the peoples friend.

Thank you for the years,

for all your time and love.

Now I am one of two again,

in our Palace up above.
J.Boyle (heartfelt)

I saw it on Facebook and loved it but only seen hate for it on mumsnet :( I think it’s beautiful ❤️

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

428 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
83%
You are NOT being unreasonable
17%
ChagSameachDoreen · 09/09/2022 09:39

There is an undeniably mawkish streak in certain strata of the British psyche.

DrinkFeckArseBrick · 09/09/2022 09:43

It's awful

I dont mean just the style and grammar etc

I mean its the putting words in someone elses mouth and guessing what happened and re-writing others stories for them when you've got no idea what happened. Unless it was written by someone who was there.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well but no one knows for example if her family were all crying, people react differently in grief or shock. Its sugar coating someone elses reality which seems a bit intrusive to me

BigCheeseSandwich · 09/09/2022 10:41

@YourLipsMyLipsApocalypse Yes thanks for explaining that NZ is part of the commonwealth 😂

A lot of people hope this is not for much longer - lots of conversations here about leaving that dated institution today.

YourLipsMyLipsApocalypse · 09/09/2022 11:05

I wasn't explaining 🤨 I was just pointing out that it's culturally very similar to the UK so using NZ as a way of saying how far/fast things have spread around the world isn't making the strongest point.

MelodyPondsMum · 09/09/2022 11:10

It's awful. YANBU to like bad poetry and trite sentiment. Lots of people do but I don't. I also don't think the Queen was a fan of poorly written mawkishness.

MissHavishamsMouldyOldCake · 09/09/2022 11:19

The Queen’s favourite poet was Pam Ayres.

DillonPanthersTexas · 09/09/2022 11:37

Sort of twee shite you get with a wedding invite before you are asked to donate towards their honeymoon

NiqueNique · 09/09/2022 11:41

It’s truly awful IMO.

HopingNotCoping · 09/09/2022 11:48

Its sugar coating someone elses reality which seems a bit intrusive to me.

This. Its really familiarly written, which is fine if your talking about a close family member who you know thought like this, but strange to project onto someone who's private thoughts and feelings we have no idea of.

I personally don't think it 'fits' the Queen at all but I don't really know as I didn't know her. I know if someone wrote stuff like that about me I'd think it was dire (well, I'd be dead, but you know what I mean).

DoNotGetADog · 09/09/2022 11:56

OMG that is absolute dogshit!

I particularly hate the line

“to a world where King's and Queens,

are Monarch's every day.”

It’s not just the two incorrect apostrophes (also I think they look even more thick that it’s only two - if they think “king’s” and “monarch’s” have apostrophes then why wouldn’t it be “Queen’s?” They can’t even consistently apply their own wrong grammar). But what does it even mean? Kings and Queens ARE monarchs every day in this world. The Queen was the monarch every fucking day in actual real life on earth…for 70 years!

It’s so utterly shit it’s unbearable.

CoolerThanIceCream · 09/09/2022 11:58

It’s ghastly.

Overloaded with unnecessary apostrophes, and not something QEII would come out with in a million years.

Rinoachicken · 09/09/2022 12:06

They haven’t even spelt Philip’s name correctly FFS…

Phillip came to me today,
and said it was time to go.
I looked at him and smiled,
as i whispered “who the fuck are you?!”

NiqueNique · 09/09/2022 12:09

Didn’t even have the decency to get Prince Philip’s name right.

NiqueNique · 09/09/2022 12:11

Crosspost!

I mean you’re not being unreasonable to like it, I suppose @pinok. If you like it, you like it...

But the hate is well deserved.

newbiename · 09/09/2022 12:15

🤢

Breakfastisjustporridge · 09/09/2022 12:22

It's a facebook poem that presumably some people like and it helps them process their thoughts about her. it's not been commissioned by Buckingham Palace to mark her passing, don't know why people are getting so bothered about it.

TheKeatingFive · 09/09/2022 12:25

If you like it, that's great OP.

It wouldn't be to everyone's taste

ReneBumsWombats · 09/09/2022 12:25

All the people I've seen sharing it are kind hearted, good natured people who aren't brilliant at expressing themselves and haven't had certain advantages that some other people have had.

It's a terrible poem but it doesn't follow that anyone who likes it is a terrible person.

Testina · 09/09/2022 12:31

Mawkish shite.

JeanMarie · 09/09/2022 12:37

God that is woeful! Reading that my toes curled so much they're touching my heels. Whoever wrote that should be put in the tower ...off with his head !

Comedycook · 09/09/2022 12:43

Absolutely awful. I thought it was a joke when I first read it.

5128gap · 09/09/2022 13:07

HopingNotCoping · 09/09/2022 11:48

Its sugar coating someone elses reality which seems a bit intrusive to me.

This. Its really familiarly written, which is fine if your talking about a close family member who you know thought like this, but strange to project onto someone who's private thoughts and feelings we have no idea of.

I personally don't think it 'fits' the Queen at all but I don't really know as I didn't know her. I know if someone wrote stuff like that about me I'd think it was dire (well, I'd be dead, but you know what I mean).

Well, the Royal family can't have it all ways. The 'love of the common people' is an important factor in the continuing tolerance of them. If people stopped projecting personalities onto them, no longer saw them as someone they 'know' then their value would decline pretty rapidly. The smarter ones know this and are fine to be what the public want them to be as long as they keep them. I'd imagine they'd rather have mawkish badly written poems than none at all.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

GooglyEyeballs · 09/09/2022 13:08

I'm a fan of the queen and I like poetry but honestly that was so cringey and badly written

SusanBland · 09/09/2022 13:25

It's a terrible poem but I'm torn between that and that dreadful 'hello again Lilibet' drawing that's circulating (where Phillip weirdly also has a full head of white hair), as to which is worse. It's infantilising someone who was a strong woman.

InPraiseOfBacchus · 09/09/2022 13:36

I found this poem very useful.

Whenever I saw it, it helped me to remember that there were still some dim people from my home town that I'd forgotten to unfollow on Facebook.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.