my reign had seen its end.

70 years I had served my Country,

as the peoples friend.

Thank you for the years,

for all your time and love.

Now I am one of two again,

in our Palace up above.
J.Boyle (heartfelt)

I saw it on Facebook and loved it but only seen hate for it on mumsnet :( I think it’s beautiful ❤️

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

428 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
83%
You are NOT being unreasonable
17%
WalkingOnTheCracks · 09/09/2022 06:01

….in any civilised society, there’d be harsh and humiliating public punishments for writing that.

frazzledali · 09/09/2022 06:02

Genuinely makes me want to vomit. What an absolute pile of shite

Cornflakegirll · 09/09/2022 06:05

Absolutely awful, so badly written.

WalkingOnTheCracks · 09/09/2022 06:07

OP, can you say what it is you like about it?

oopsfellover · 09/09/2022 06:09

Bloody awful. Why don't people check their poems over to make sure they scan?

Toddlerteaplease · 09/09/2022 06:10

I saw that on Facebook. It's dreadful!

Toddlerteaplease · 09/09/2022 06:13

@LuftBalloons that's more like it!

daisychain01 · 09/09/2022 06:19

I'm so disappointed

it didn't mention her Angel wings and the fact they're all having a party up there sitting on a cloud.

yet another reason I'm glad I came off Fakebook about 10 years ago

ChagSameachDoreen · 09/09/2022 06:21

The sharing of this poem on Facebook has been a useful bellwether for a friend cull. It seems I know some utter morons.

TheZeppo · 09/09/2022 07:04

There is literally no need to be nasty about the OP. The sneering on this thread is dreadful.

YourLipsMyLipsApocalypse · 09/09/2022 07:10

NovaDeltas · 08/09/2022 22:52

Bloody hell, I wish the thick poets society could have given it a rest for once.

It's OK OP. You probably have 'live laff luv' on your walls and like Minions too.

I once stood in a Tesco queue behind a woman who, the whole time, sang and spoke to herself out loud in Minion speak.

She's probably fucking devastated right now, and on her way to Buckingham Palace to be with her people.

Barnowl25 · 09/09/2022 07:18

moggerhanger · Yesterday 23:01

Each to their own. But I am judging every single one of my SM friends/contacts that post it.

So glad someone else feels the same

BigCheeseSandwich · 09/09/2022 07:19

Why do people think anyone can just have a crack at poetry? It’s a skill and an art form. Just leave it to people who know about scansion.

whoever said it’s time to emigrate, nowhere is safe - it’s been shared on my local community FB page. In NZ 🙄

Bretonbear · 09/09/2022 07:24

Ben Shepherd on GMTV just said he was going to read out a poem!!!!! I was on the edge of my seat wondering if it was this sublime work of art! Sadly not 😂😂😂

LaLaLouella · 09/09/2022 07:25

I'm pretty upset about the Queen's death but that poem is just mawkish and awful. I'm also internally judging people who post it on SM.

thegreylady · 09/09/2022 07:28

When I saw it on Facebook the first thing that struck me was that it said,”I seen I was asleep”. I notice that in your reprint you have corrected ‘seen’ to ‘saw’.
Enough said.

YourLipsMyLipsApocalypse · 09/09/2022 07:31

BigCheeseSandwich · 09/09/2022 07:19

Why do people think anyone can just have a crack at poetry? It’s a skill and an art form. Just leave it to people who know about scansion.

whoever said it’s time to emigrate, nowhere is safe - it’s been shared on my local community FB page. In NZ 🙄

Yeah but that's part of the Commonwealth, and people who have emigrated away from their families become strangely sentimental about home, despite wanting to get as far away from it as possible, I've found.

FourChimneys · 09/09/2022 07:46

Dreadful doggerel. The sort of shit that gets posted on Facebook like "she's got her angel wings".

My view is coloured by the fact that I don't believe in an afterlife. We live, die, and turn into compost.

TarasHarp55 · 09/09/2022 08:05

Before my mum died she used to say she could see her mum waiting for her. As a strong believer it was a huge comfort to us that she wouldn't be alone. I'd have been devastated if a bloody bear was waiting for her. What an insult.

LadyFromage · 09/09/2022 08:08

It's not for me, either.

But the point of poetry is to speak to you and raise emotion: if it does that for you, OP, then the poem is successful.

HRTQueen · 09/09/2022 08:09

It’s like the poetry I wrote at 14

personally no I don’t like it she wasn’t sentimental in public it just doesn’t represent The Queen as we knew her

PolkaDotMankini · 09/09/2022 08:11

It's on the same category as the pics of Captain Tom going over the rainbow with his walker. Bloody awful.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

5128gap · 09/09/2022 08:12

WoolyMammoth55 · 08/09/2022 22:46

Given how private and clever and unsentimental she was, I think it's a terrible tribute. Honestly, I'm pretty sure the Queen would have hated it. She was not a sugary Hallmark kind of lady.

But I also think there are a lot of people sad tonight for complicated reasons (I shed a tear because my Granny Lillian loved the Queen, and I'd love to have given her a hug and chatted about it all, but she died herself in March so isn't here...) So I've got no problem with anyone who does like it, you take your comforts where you can when you're in grief.

The Queen spent her entire life dealing with the mawkish sentiment of the 'common people' and very possibly turned up her clever unsentimental nose at the vast majority of the offerings of her subjects, from the cardigans knitted for her grandchildren to the supermarket flowers laid for her husband. I would imagine that the tributes of the homogenous mass that to her was the public, be they clever and tasteful or contrived and misspelled, would have all been one and the same. Vaguely pleasing as a sign she was still popular, but the detail irrelevant, if noticed in the first place.

LadyCatStark · 09/09/2022 08:12

its not the poem I take issue with, it’s the appalling grammar. Surely the Queen is deserving of better!

NippyWoowoo · 09/09/2022 09:34

thegreylady · 09/09/2022 07:28

When I saw it on Facebook the first thing that struck me was that it said,”I seen I was asleep”. I notice that in your reprint you have corrected ‘seen’ to ‘saw’.
Enough said.

This is the living proof of the post the other day

'What's classy when you're rich but trashy when you're poor'.

Someone suggesting fawning over the monarchy.

All the other posts on MN are class. Bless this poet, they're clearly trash.

🙄

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.