Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I know this will be contentious - cost of living rise

561 replies

qualitychat · 31/08/2022 19:57

My mum is a pensioner and gets Disability Benefit and Mobility Benefit and Pension Credit. She receives almost what I get in a month. She is moaning about the Government not doing enough about the cost of gas and electricity, which I agree with. The thing is they have said that people on benefits and pension credit will be given lump sums towards their bills. I am a middle earner and so is my husband. We will likely get nothing. Do you not think it will be the ordinary working families who will be squeezed the most if something is not done?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1084 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
21%
You are NOT being unreasonable
79%
JackieDaws · 31/08/2022 22:18

Appleyard8 · 31/08/2022 22:03

MIL is a classic boomer, she bought the house for peanuts and now it’s worth over £1m. Since FIL passed away she’s looking to ‘downsize’ into another 5 bed detached for £800k. She has hundreds of thousands in the bank. Yet still concerned about fuel costs allegedly. Thankfully she pays our nursery fees and some of our mortgage so I can’t be too harsh on her. But I agree middle incomes will suffer. DH and I earn 90K between us working full time and would really struggle without the additional help. MIL has never even worked full time but is cashing in on pensioner credits.

The three other houses on our estate are all owned by pensioners, all in 4 or 5 bed homes. All have new cars outside, shopping in M&S, don’t seem remotely concerned about energy prices. We will never see wealth like this in our lifetime IMO DH and I will work until we drop dead.

Poor you,struggling on 90k a year and having childcare paid for you. I feel so sorry for you.

edwinbear · 31/08/2022 22:20

@woodhill its nowhere near enough though. The NHS is on its knees, there was a thread a day or two ago with a GP explaining to meet demand in her practice, she and her 4 (I think it was) colleagues would need to provide something like 76,000 appointments per year. Dentists are leaving in their droves, nurseries are going to have to close because they can’t pass on their astronomical increases in costs. Care homes simply can’t provide the care residents need factoring in increased costs, given the income they receive.

In the sector I cover at work, the Government have announced today that they are going to cap increases in rent for social housing tenants at between 3-7%. It’s usually CPI (inflation) plus 1%. This works for nobody - for tenants because they can’t find an extra 3-7% and for social housing providers because they can’t offset their own huge cost increases.

DemBonesDemBones · 31/08/2022 22:20

@Sally99 that person didn't work in hospitality. No one that works in hospitality wants to be furloughed again, many of us almost lost everything and are still recovering financially!

Stigsmother · 31/08/2022 22:20

Not just the middle earners that will be squeezed: I am also a Civil Servant, so no chance of extra hours or pay rises. I earn £21,500 ( not even the lowest pay grade) and I am single. Don't quite know how I am expected to pay 25% of my take home pay on energy. No dependants, so no UC or tax credit top ups. I am just praying for a mild winter so I don't have to use the heating......

LuciferRising · 31/08/2022 22:20

Typical race to the bottom, finger pointing thread. Must be hard and tiring to have so much hate and animosity towards those whose situation is different to yours, as if all the ills in our society is their own personal fault.

Wouldloveanother · 31/08/2022 22:21

LuciferRising · 31/08/2022 22:20

Typical race to the bottom, finger pointing thread. Must be hard and tiring to have so much hate and animosity towards those whose situation is different to yours, as if all the ills in our society is their own personal fault.

Oh blah. And it basically is - the Tories didn’t appear out of thin air did they?

Rosscameasdoody · 31/08/2022 22:21

Sugarplumfairy65 · 31/08/2022 22:16

If your mother in law has savings of more than 6k she will not get pension credits. The only benefit she would be entitled to would be state oension

Actually it’s £10k before it will affect your Pension Credit. If you have more than £10,000, every £500 over £10,000 counts as £1 income a week. For example, if you have £11,000 in savings, this counts as £2 income a week and Pension Credit will be reduced accordingly.

Suzi888 · 31/08/2022 22:21

Heronimo · 31/08/2022 20:12

Yanbu. Those on benefits will get too much help. Those working full time in middle income jobs are screwed.

^ This
But this has always been the case. If you earn a low income, you are often better off working part time. It doesn’t pay to work in all cases.

Wouldloveanother · 31/08/2022 22:23

Plus hospitals are full to the rafters with ‘social’ patients who don’t want to fork out for their own care, so rely on the NHS picking up the pieces whenever they have accidents etc. I read somewhere that if all these patients could be moved on, there wouldn’t be a bed shortage in hospitals.

MargotMoon · 31/08/2022 22:26

RosetteNebula · 31/08/2022 20:12

Exactly what me and my Mum have been saying. It's workers who will suffer. I'm willing to believe they exist but I don't know a single pensioner or person on benefits who is struggling for money.

Try volunteering for your local Citizens Advice service or food bank, you will soon meet many. And perhaps grow some compassion while you're at it

antelopevalley · 31/08/2022 22:26

Wouldloveanother · 31/08/2022 22:09

Not on 90k with your mortgage and childcare paid for, you won’t,

If your MIL gets pension credit, she is not paying your childcare and helping with your mortgage.
Pension credit raises income to a maximum of £182 per week. And all but small savings would disqualify her.

MyrtlethePurpleTurtle · 31/08/2022 22:27

Oh goody - a benefit bashing ageist thread

antelopevalley · 31/08/2022 22:27

Where are all these people coming from who think benefits are so generous?
Older people getting pension credit on top of state pension get £182 a week plus all but small savings disqualify them.
Is £182 a week really living in luxury?

antelopevalley · 31/08/2022 22:28

MyrtlethePurpleTurtle · 31/08/2022 22:27

Oh goody - a benefit bashing ageist thread

Even worse - full of obvious made up bullshit.

TinaTeaspoons · 31/08/2022 22:30

Yes, me and DH agree. It doesn't seem fair at all.

antelopevalley · 31/08/2022 22:30

Wouldloveanother · 31/08/2022 22:23

Plus hospitals are full to the rafters with ‘social’ patients who don’t want to fork out for their own care, so rely on the NHS picking up the pieces whenever they have accidents etc. I read somewhere that if all these patients could be moved on, there wouldn’t be a bed shortage in hospitals.

This is rubbish. People do not have a choice. Hospitals are full of people waiting to go into care homes or for home carers because there are not enough places and staff. Many people waiting will pay for this care. Once it is arranged people have to go.

Discovereads · 31/08/2022 22:30

JackieDaws · 31/08/2022 22:18

Poor you,struggling on 90k a year and having childcare paid for you. I feel so sorry for you.

Childcare plus part of their mortgage! On a 4 or 5 bed home in a naice estate where her neighbours all have brand new cars and shop at M&S- so she probably does too. It can be a real shock for middle class to get a small taste of financial struggle. They’re not used to it.

AnyodyAnywhere · 31/08/2022 22:32

None of us can help when we were born. I didn’t choose to be a despised ‘boomer’.

We don’t all live in million pound mansions. I live in a 2 bed semi in ‘the arsehole of Kent’. It’s paid for because we worked and paid for it.

I retired just before Covid hit. DH immediately lost his job (freelance security) and got no furlough, he’s got another year to pension but gets no benefits because of our savings. Neither of us have ever claimed a benefit in our lives.

Right now we scrape by using a bit of savings each month. Savings are losing value every day anyway - 1% interest pa doesn’t keep up with inflation.

We’d both love jobs but nobody wants people our age.

Bit sick to be honest of now being seen as the cause of everybody’s problems.

NB: I did not vote Leave and have never voted Conservative.

edwinbear · 31/08/2022 22:32

I do know of one country who have got it right. Jersey Electric in the Channel Islands. They hedged about 90% of their energy needs out 3 yrs, so as I understand (Jersey MNetters will correct me if I’m wrong), they saw a 5% increase in about May (?) with another 5% due in January. On that basis, if other energy firms have essentially gambled with our energy costs and got it wrong through shit treasury management, I wholeheartedly agree with taxing them to fuck.

Rosscameasdoody · 31/08/2022 22:32

Wouldloveanother · 31/08/2022 22:04

So working age people should pay for elderly care and ‘suck it up as that’s what society is’, but the same sentiment doesn’t apply to your relative contributing financially towards other elderly people?

Not what I said. At all. The unfairness of it is self evident. If there were a social care tax levied at an income related rate people can afford, then later life care wouldn’t be the lottery it is now. Everyone would contribute and everyone would be assured that the care would be there when needed. My relative isn’t rich - the care fees are about £36000 a year and the sale of her home will finance her care for about five years at this rate. My point is that her funding pot is being raided by the authorities at the rate of £12000 a year to fund the care of others, and when she runs out of funding she has to rely on the state. That’s not sustainable - it’s almost like a pyramid scheme, and we need to find an alternative before the system crumbles.

gyurghle · 31/08/2022 22:36

We will never see wealth like this in our lifetime IMO DH and I will work until we drop dead.

will you not inherit @Appleyard8?

Wouldloveanother · 31/08/2022 22:36

Rosscameasdoody · 31/08/2022 22:32

Not what I said. At all. The unfairness of it is self evident. If there were a social care tax levied at an income related rate people can afford, then later life care wouldn’t be the lottery it is now. Everyone would contribute and everyone would be assured that the care would be there when needed. My relative isn’t rich - the care fees are about £36000 a year and the sale of her home will finance her care for about five years at this rate. My point is that her funding pot is being raided by the authorities at the rate of £12000 a year to fund the care of others, and when she runs out of funding she has to rely on the state. That’s not sustainable - it’s almost like a pyramid scheme, and we need to find an alternative before the system crumbles.

But that’s not how it works, you don’t pay taxes now to ‘stash away’ and pay for your elderly care many years down the line. Whoever is working and paying taxes when you’re elderly will be funding your care unless it’s privately funded. And there’s no way of knowing how bad (or less likely, good) the cost of living will be in ~40 years time so your suggestion might not even cover it.

RosetteNebula · 31/08/2022 22:36

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lapland123 · 31/08/2022 22:36

Totally agree OP

anyone with kids is on a fixed income too- if you work more hours it is cancelled out by childcare costs etc

everyine should be helped. Families have huge housing costs to pay- many pensioners will not have this.

but the government is looking for their vote

Discovereads · 31/08/2022 22:38

I’m disabled, the huge lump sum I will be receiving is £150.
That £150 won’t last very long.
Anyone who thinks I’m in the lap of luxury is seriously deluded.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.