Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To refuse to give up time to help kids catch up?

PeachyM · 10/07/2022 14:08

So I’m a teacher. And we’re nearing the end of the school year- finally :) Two kids from the same family but in different years disappear off for a two week family holiday, which hasn’t been authorised. I’m not going to particularly question their parents’ decision because it’s up to them. But they’ve come back having missed two weeks of a core subject and the parents have now requested we give up time to help catch them up. I’ve said no because I already have a shit ton of end of year stuff to finish and I don’t have the time. Parents have accused me of being unreasonable and said that I’m refusing to do my job. Who’s in the wrong here?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Heroicallyl0st · 10/07/2022 14:09

The parents, obv! 😊

Please
or

Fimofriend · 10/07/2022 14:09

they are. They caused the problem they can take the time to solve it.

Please
or

SamphirethePogoingStickerist · 10/07/2022 14:11

Shit like that helped me leave. You know SMT will side with the parents.

Please
or

Leoismybae · 10/07/2022 14:11

Of course you're not being unreasonable. Their prerogative to take kids out but then if they miss stuff it's the parents' look out. I have been a teacher for 20 years and with the best will in the world, I have virtually no time to do anything extra. They're being completely unreasonable.

Please
or

Isaidnoalready · 10/07/2022 14:11

Do you know any tutors? I would go out of my way to reccomend a tutor friend but give up my time no there is a cost to taking family time in school time and that is not the schools problem

Please
or

BigMamaFratelli · 10/07/2022 14:12

YANBU. At all. If this was me I would just be damn grateful I hadn't been reported for the kids absences!

Can you give them some bare bones notes and point them in the direction of some online resources?

Please
or

willingtolearn · 10/07/2022 14:12

The parents made the decision to take them on holiday.

They can now take responsibility and either tutor them over the summer holidays - themselves or pay for a tutor.

If you were feeling kind you could point them at some online content.

Please
or

jetadore · 10/07/2022 14:12

They are, in the parlance of our times, cheeky fuckers.

Please
or

100problems · 10/07/2022 14:13

They are and our SLT would absolutely back you saying no.

I actually thought you were going to talk about NTP kids, but going on a TT holiday is not the same at all.

Please
or

Leoismybae · 10/07/2022 14:13

Also, legally SMT don't have a leg to stand on in terms of making you do specific stuff outside of class time. Just say no. Frees are for lesson prep.

Please
or

EL8888 · 10/07/2022 14:14

This is the perfect example of feeling the consequences of your actions so no l wouldn’t assist. Their children didn’t need to go on holiday. If they can afford to go on holiday, then they can afford a tutor. FFS some people are so entitled

Please
or

switswoo81 · 10/07/2022 14:15

Absolutely not. We had a few cf parents requesting the packs the children who had Covid or were isolating got for when they went on holidays.
Not a hope.

Please
or

passport123 · 10/07/2022 14:15

No, but you need to make it clear to the parents that you are refusing because them being behind is due to the holiday and that in the usual run of things you would help.

Please
or

RedWingBoots · 10/07/2022 14:15

The holiday was unauthorised as it meant their children would miss important parts of a core subject.

So what do they expect?

In your own case stop engaging with the parents and escalate up if they keep hassling you.

Please
or

AllThatFancyPaintsAsFair · 10/07/2022 14:18

EL8888 · 10/07/2022 14:14

This is the perfect example of feeling the consequences of your actions so no l wouldn’t assist. Their children didn’t need to go on holiday. If they can afford to go on holiday, then they can afford a tutor. FFS some people are so entitled

I don't understand the logic of saying that because you can afford one thing you can afford another, my bank account certainly doesn't work like that but if you choose a term time holiday for whatever reason it's totally unreasonable to expect the teacher to give up time to catch the children up

Surely no one's going to come on and say you should.

Please
or

pastaandpesto · 10/07/2022 14:20

As a parent in that situation, I would hope that the teacher would take two minutes to email me bullet points of the topics covered.

I would then expect it to be completely my responsibility to find appropriate resources (BBC Bitesize, books etc), work through them with DC, and do any marking.

Would that be reasonable?

Please
or

Shinyandnew1 · 10/07/2022 14:20

PeachyM · 10/07/2022 14:08

So I’m a teacher. And we’re nearing the end of the school year- finally :) Two kids from the same family but in different years disappear off for a two week family holiday, which hasn’t been authorised. I’m not going to particularly question their parents’ decision because it’s up to them. But they’ve come back having missed two weeks of a core subject and the parents have now requested we give up time to help catch them up. I’ve said no because I already have a shit ton of end of year stuff to finish and I don’t have the time. Parents have accused me of being unreasonable and said that I’m refusing to do my job. Who’s in the wrong here?

You are absolutely not being unreasonable. Refer them to SLT to deal with.

Please
or

EL8888 · 10/07/2022 14:21

@AllThatFancyPaintsAsFair they went in term time l am assuming as it’s cheaper so there’s some money right there. Rather than trying to eat into OP previous end of year time which she said is already very busy

Please
or

PinkiOcelot · 10/07/2022 14:21

I’m not against people taking their kids out of school for in term holidays, but they definitely can’t expect you to take on extra time to teach their kids what they’ve missed. They are being totally unreasonable.

Please
or

MySleevesMayBeGreen · 10/07/2022 14:22

Cheeky Fuckers! No way should this be on you.

I’ve had recently, a child who was removed from our extra-curricular tutoring scheme group by the parents, has discovered that another particular pupil is doing it and they now want their child to have it again.
Oh and they also want it to be 1:1 in the TA’s own time.

Please
or

IncompleteSenten · 10/07/2022 14:23

Your job is to teach them in class.

You were there.

They weren't.

🤷

Please
or

user143677433 · 10/07/2022 14:25

I agree with not giving yourself extra work to get them caught up, but a PP mentioned they wouldn’t even give packs that were prepared for kids who were isolating. I don’t quite understand the reasoning there. Assuming they are already prepared, then to not give them seems unnecessarily spiteful. It’s not something the kids have had any day in, but they would be the ones to pay the consequences.

Please
or

Blueemeraldagain · 10/07/2022 14:25

As a teacher, if the student asked politely before leaving (particularly if they are in KS4) I would probably print out a pack of resources/worksheets but wouldn’t spend anymore than 45 mins (one lesson at my school) doing so. I appreciate how expensive it can be to go on holiday during the school holidays and ultimately it isn’t the student’s choice. Any sense of entitlement etc and I would refuse. As for giving up free time? 😂

Please
or

Workawayxx · 10/07/2022 14:26

How do they expect you do this? Do they want 1 to 1 lessons from you after school or are they asking for resources to catch up at home? If the former yanbu - no way should you do this.

If the latter I guess it depends on how tricky it’d be to email them a few things they could do at home to catch up. I still think they are being v unreasonable to demand this. Is it secondary school?

Please
or

liveforsummer · 10/07/2022 14:27

Not unreasonable- we've already broken up but had plenty on holidays in June. Don't blame them tbh but they can't have extra work. The ones that have asked for extra work are the ones had dc leave in early June to go to home countries so missing a full month of work. It's just not possible to provide that. I'm actually all for dc having this experience and the experience is educational and enriching and that should be enough. Parents cannot expect school to make up for lost time in any circumstances that have been a choice. Imagine if you had to do it for every child that was off for a holiday throughout the year Different for unavoidable medical absence.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?