Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think this couple's attitude has no place in modern society?

Georama · 20/01/2022 18:35

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10419543/Christian-couple-ban-gay-man-partner-buying-dream-650-000-sexuality.html

A church-going wife who banned a gay man and his ITV producer partner from buying her £650,000 Surrey home has hit back in the row and insisted they are just sticking to their beliefs.

Luke Whitehouse and Lachlan Mantell were stunned when they were told that they could not buy the three-bedroom home because the Christian owners didn't want to sell to 'two men in a partnership.'

Honestly, they should be ashamed of that text. I hope no estate agent will work with them ever again.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Shade17 · 20/01/2022 18:37

Absolutely agree. Completely unacceptable

Please
or

FangsForTheMemory · 20/01/2022 18:39

They must be batshit. If I were the blokes, I wouldn't want to give homophobes my money, though.

Please
or

StayOrGoOrWhat · 20/01/2022 18:42

Awful, what a ridiculous situation. You are right, there is absolutely no place in our society for these ridiculous views.

Please
or

sadpapercourtesan · 20/01/2022 18:43

I hope they can't sell it and end up marooned inside for the rest of their lives.

Please
or

thedancingbear · 20/01/2022 18:43

They’re cunts.

Tempted to try to gazunder them massively.

Please
or

Lockheart · 20/01/2022 18:45

I suppose I'm most curious about what horrors they think will be unleashed if they sell their house to the gay couple.

Like what exactly is their aim here?

Please
or

Elsiebear90 · 20/01/2022 18:46

It’s awful, I’m gay and I wouldn’t want to buy the house off them any more knowing that. Surely no estate agent is going to represent them when they’ve made it clear they refuse to sell to gay people? I know you don’t have sell your house to anyone who offers, but is refusing purely based on a protected characteristic even legal?

Please
or

dangerrabbit · 20/01/2022 18:46

I can believe this is not fake news - this happened to me and DW in 2011 (female couple)
Luckily the estate agents were really nice and we got first dibs on a really nice property where we are now.

Please
or

llanfair11 · 20/01/2022 18:50

If only we regulated estate agents so they were obliged not to accept those who do not want to sell to people on the grounds of what is termed a protected characteristic in the 2010 Equalities Act.

I thought we'd moved away from 'no dogs, no blacks, no Irish'.

Please
or

Karenetta · 20/01/2022 18:53

What a fucking stupid attitude. I wonder what they thought the result would be? That their prospective buyers would turn straight or something? Or that had they agreed they themselves would be gayed by the gay money?

Please
or

MatildaTheCat · 20/01/2022 18:57

If they’ve publicly said this then surely it’s a hate crime and should be dealt with by the police?

Please
or

Simonjt · 20/01/2022 19:00

@Lockheart

I suppose I'm most curious about what horrors they think will be unleashed if they sell their house to the gay couple.

Like what exactly is their aim here?

Tasteful decor and an abundance of houseplants.
Please
or

whiteroseredrose · 20/01/2022 19:02

We weren't allowed to buy a house in Bristol 25 years ago because we weren't married. Despite the wedding being booked for 5 months time the sellers were adamant.

Please
or

Ploppy1322 · 20/01/2022 19:06

Who the hell cares who buys the house they move out of? I never even met my buyers and know nothing about them, batshit crazy!

Please
or

FTstepmum · 20/01/2022 19:10

Born-again Christian here, hanging my head... they do not speak for me (and I hope most other Christians) with their audacious homophobia.

Please
or

AlexaShutUp · 20/01/2022 19:11

@Elsiebear90

It’s awful, I’m gay and I wouldn’t want to buy the house off them any more knowing that. Surely no estate agent is going to represent them when they’ve made it clear they refuse to sell to gay people? I know you don’t have sell your house to anyone who offers, but is refusing purely based on a protected characteristic even legal?

Tbh, I'm straight and I wouldn't want to buy the house off them after that either.

I hope that they find they're unable to sell as a direct consequence of their bigotry.
Please
or

Flowers500 · 20/01/2022 19:12

I hope no other estate agent takes them and they get one offer that’s just to duck them around for 6 weeks. They should fuck off back to the stinger age.

Please
or

AlexaShutUp · 20/01/2022 19:12

@FTstepmum

Born-again Christian here, hanging my head... they do not speak for me (and I hope most other Christians) with their audacious homophobia.

Good to hear voices like yours @FTstepmum. Thank you for speaking out.
Please
or

Flowers500 · 20/01/2022 19:12

@Flowers500

I hope no other estate agent takes them and they get one offer that’s just to duck them around for 6 weeks. They should fuck off back to the stinger age.

Sorry for that—I meant months obviously!
Please
or

Hertsgirl10 · 20/01/2022 19:13

Glad they didn’t move into that house with all the bad energy!

That is not very Christian of them is it?
I hope some Devil worshipers move in and Antichrist the whole place up.

Please
or

WonderfulYou · 20/01/2022 19:14

It’s ridiculous.
Even if you’re homophobic what’s that got to do with them buying it off you.

I wonder which one of them is secretly gay.

Please
or

Artichokeleaves · 20/01/2022 19:14

Well obviously they do have a place in modern society, they're living in it and it's ridiculous to pretend that society doesn't include people with these beliefs. It does. Those beliefs don't get changed by tutting and reporting to the police for wrong think, that just makes the divide of belief harder and them angrier. Having beliefs you may not agree with is not a crime.

If you discover that your seller is prejudiced and has incompatible views and doesn't want to sell to you - you shrug and go buy from someone else, because life is too short. You might think your seller is an unpleasant twit: that's not against the law. This whole punish and silence the wrongthinkers and be prejudiced against them really doesn't help anyone or solve anything. It's just prejudice in a different form.

I'm LGBT btw.

Please
or

Ericaequites · 20/01/2022 19:16

Everyone’s money is the same color and good as anybody’s else. It’s very bigoted to think otherwise.

Please
or

Suzanne999 · 20/01/2022 19:16

Utterly bonkers. Cannot understand people like that.
Good on Purplebricks for dropping them and hopefully no other estate agent will want them as clients.

Please
or

AlexaShutUp · 20/01/2022 19:17

Having beliefs you may not agree with is not a crime.

I agree with this, but when those beliefs start tipping over into discriminatory behaviour, then they become problematic.

It probably isn't illegal to refuse to sell something to someone on the basis of their protected characteristics? I'm not sure tbh, but it is certainly unethical and I hope that they lose out massively as a result.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.