Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Not seen neighbours in weeks lights and heating on

stillwaitingonaring · 13/01/2022 10:14

Been thinking to myself the last week or so how weird it is that we haven't seen the neighbours in weeks probably coming up to a month now. Every single light on in the house and heating on all day and night.

They have had lots of police involvement in the past, she had 4 older children with learning difficulties police were being called out so many times a week. Her children are normally jumping on the car roof slamming doors etc. Not seen or heard a peep from them since mid December. I always felt sorry for her because it seemed like she couldn't cope with all of them in that small house they were running her ragged.

I knocked on yesterday morning and obviously no answer, is this something you would report to the police or just leave it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MountainAshley · 13/01/2022 10:15

I would report it.

Please
or

TallyHoMyLittlePeachMuffin · 13/01/2022 10:16

I'd ring them and see what they suggest. It can't to any harm

Please
or

Gargellen · 13/01/2022 10:17

I would ask the police to do a welfare check.

Reminds me of the woman that had been dead in her flat for four years with the telly going day and night. The neighbours said that in retrospect, it did seem odd.

She was only discovered because her bank account had run out of money for her rent payments to fail.

Please
or

Mailys · 13/01/2022 10:19

Definitely give the Police a call, 101. It does sound very strange to go for so long and leave all the lights and heating on too

Please
or

NYnewstart · 13/01/2022 10:19

Lights on day and night?

Please
or

BringMeTea · 13/01/2022 10:21

I would definitely report.

Please
or

Chickorma · 13/01/2022 10:22

Could they have done a midnight flit?

Please
or

Justcallmebebes · 13/01/2022 10:25

Are all the lights on in the daytime too?

Definitely worth trying for a welfare check

Please
or

stillwaitingonaring · 13/01/2022 10:27

Will report it on my lunch it's driving me insane OH thinks I need to get a life but I can't stop thinking about it! Where on earth could they have all gone. Car is still sitting there with a flat tyre.

@Justcallmebebes yep on all day, they have no blinds in the kitchen so I can see everything. Sides are empty though no kettle or toaster but then I don't know if she ever had them.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Merriwicks · 13/01/2022 10:28

Definitely a welfare check from police.

Please
or

VestaTilley · 13/01/2022 10:28

Knock on the door then obviously report to police.

I’d be very concerned.

Please
or

VestaTilley · 13/01/2022 10:29

@Gargellen I remember reading about that poor lady; she was only young too. It was tragic.

Please
or

Gargellen · 13/01/2022 10:30

@VestaTilley

*@Gargellen* I remember reading about that poor lady; she was only young too. It was tragic.

Yes. VestaTilley Awful. It tugged at my heartstrings as no-one missed her.
Please
or

UniversalAunt · 13/01/2022 10:31

Given police involvement, I suggest a welfare check.

Normally a friendly neighbourly knock on the door would be the first thing to do & you’ve done so. You are right to be concerned & given that the family is known to the police, they may already know the family’s whereabouts.

It the house is empty, it would be useful if the lights etc were turned off & the property secured.

Please
or

JugglingJanuary · 13/01/2022 10:33

Yes, given history/situation definitely a welfare check.

Please
or

HollowTalk · 13/01/2022 10:34

I would definitely ask the police to visit. It doesn't sound good if the car has been left behind.

Please
or

HollowTalk · 13/01/2022 10:35

Check the MOT date on the car reg. If it's out of MOT they might have just left without it.

Please
or

FriendshipsAreHardForMe · 13/01/2022 10:36

Yes I would report it. Chances are they've moved and mistakenly left lights on before they left. Hopefully it's not more sinister 😳

Please
or

TheOccupier · 13/01/2022 10:37

Sounds like they may have done a midnight flit. Were they renting or do they own the house? How old are the children?

Please
or

Snoken · 13/01/2022 10:43

Are the kids school age? If so, I would also assume school would have tried to get in touch.

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 13/01/2022 10:45

Yes I would definitely express concerns to the police

Please
or

melj1213 · 13/01/2022 10:46

If all the lights and heating are on 24/7 but you haven't heard from them and nobody answers your knock then I would definitely call the police for a welfare check.

It would be different if everything was off and it had just gone quiet or lights were going on and off - they could have gone away for an extended period or she could have got respite care for the children and so it was a lot quieter, but under these circumstances it is unlikely to be that she has gone away and left everything on so iw old want someone to check.

Please
or

stillwaitingonaring · 13/01/2022 10:58

We are shared ownership, they are housing association same company though. I have sent an email to them but no response.

I wonder why they have left they haven't been here long. I've reported it to the police anyway they said they will send someone round.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cornettoninja · 13/01/2022 11:02

I think you’ve done the right thing, sometimes you have to follow your instincts even if they turn out to be incorrect.

I do agree with other posters though and the dc’s are unlikely to not be on a schools radar but we all know that people can slip through the cracks.

Please
or

mumda · 13/01/2022 11:09

Any big fat flies in the window? Smell of drains?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.