Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

warning at work for swearing

Slavetolove · 05/12/2021 18:49

I was called into the office for a warning the other day. I'm a support worker and was speaking to another member of staff when clients were in their bedroom. I can't even remember the conversation at all but I think I said the world fuck/fuck off but not towards the staff member, it was just in conversation.

I swear, but I'm strict on myself to not swear in front of clients. The member of staff reported me. I was ripped a new one. Because the clients were in the house it was meant it was around them and because its their house. The owner had a huge go at me saying there would be no way I would be allowed to swear in his house.
one member of staff said she said "bloody hell" in front of a client yesterday but nothing was said.
im so embarrassed. I'm bloody good at my job.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Supersimkin2 · 05/12/2021 20:34

Your in-house snitch is bad news. Avoid and warn colleagues about them.

No one loves swearing, but there's no sign your clients heard it.

Please
or

Metallicalover · 05/12/2021 20:35

Your colleague sounds like a knob!
I'm a nurse, been around healthcare professionals around 14 years and I've found most people swear quite a lot. A lot of joking on and dark humour used to cope with the stress of the job. This also includes managers.
Very professional in front of patients/residents and relatives.
If only your colleague heard and she had a problem with it then she should have said, less of the swearing etc and then that should have been it! If you continued and done it in front of the residents then that's when management should get involved.

I would watch your back around this colleague sounds like she would 'throw you under a bus'

Please
or

Summerfun54321 · 05/12/2021 20:41

Swearing at work is really really frowned upon in my profession, whether we’re in front of clients or just colleagues. If someone reported me for it I would be looking at correcting myself rather than blaming them.

Please
or

thenightsky · 05/12/2021 20:42

@BurbageBrook

God what a precious pearl clutcher your colleague was to report you.

Yes. This.
Please
or

1FootInTheRave · 05/12/2021 20:44

Colleague is an absolute tit.

Please
or

KissedintheDark · 05/12/2021 20:44

@Bluntness100

You couldn’t even write your op without swearing, so if you’re saying your also uncouth at work. I suspect most of us will believe it,

Since when has mn been precious
about swearing...

If swearing in a mn post is enough to blacken someone's character
a lot of posters here are fucked.
Please
or

Bluntness100 · 05/12/2021 20:45

@TheOccupier

Lot of perfect people on this thread, clearly!

Not ideal but sometimes these things happen. Were you reported by a colleague? Were the clients even aware? I don't think it's a big deal really.

Not really, every gone to Tesco’s and been told to fuck off by the cashier. Plenty of jobs require not swearing, most people can manage it, doesn’t mean they are perfect.
Please
or

TheFirstMrsDV · 05/12/2021 20:50

Its not the end of the world. You must feel horrible but it will pass
No one has been hurt
No one has been put in danger
Its easy to let something slip if you are used to swearing elsewhere.
Two people I work with did it last week. No users were in earshot thank goodness. Where I work it would be incredibly inappropriate
I wouldn't dream of reporting them unless they did it repeatedly and/or in front of service users.

Please
or

Changechangychange · 05/12/2021 20:50

Oh well, you now know that colleague has a habit of running off to the boss instead of bringing things up with you directly, so you can act accordingly.

Nobody will remember this after Christmas OP, it’s not like you’ve been fired.

Please
or

GetTheFlockOutOfHere · 05/12/2021 20:54

I agree with the masses, the colleague is a nasty little snitch. What a horrible thing to do to a colleague. She could have just approached YOU @Slavetolove and suggested your watch your language. What a twat reporting you. Nasty.

Please
or

cansu · 05/12/2021 20:54

It's a one off. You were pulled up on it. You shouldn't have done it. It is easy to mess up and do this. Just remember in future. I am sure if you do your job well this is a small part of the overall picture.

Please
or

Almostmenopausal · 05/12/2021 20:56

@GucciBear

About time swearing became a no no and not a go to! By the way, your comment about ........... a new one is very coarse. Probably best if you don't trot that out whilst at work!!

OP wasn't at work when she said though was she?! Hmm
Please
or

Almostmenopausal · 05/12/2021 20:57

@KissedintheDark Ignore Bluntness, virtue signalling is their favourite pastime on MN

Please
or

mam0918 · 05/12/2021 21:03

I'm glad I'm self-employed... if someone tried to tell me off for what OP describes I would happily tell them to fuck off lol.

I'm not a child and do not need anyone policing my ability to communicate however I choose to and people who are hyper offended by harmless words that weren't even used in an attacking way are the most tediously insufferable people that have no right to be forcing their 'offense' on to anyone else.

Please
or

itsgettingwierd · 05/12/2021 21:06

@gofg

God I hate this thing if reporting stuff like this to your manager.

So do I, it's pathetic. However, some people seem to have so little going on in their own lives, and I guess this gives them a feeling of power.

Agree.

If it was out of earshot of clients and not something you do as a rule then a simple reminder from colleague would have sufficed.

I'd find it really hard to trust a colleague like this again tbh.
Please
or

Alltheblue · 05/12/2021 21:06

It's not professional and not something to bring into someone's home. I can understand it being a big deal. But you've accepted that so move on

Please
or

ThirdElephant · 05/12/2021 21:07

No one died, OP. People get told off at work sometimes, it's not a big deal and in a few weeks it won't matter anymore.

Clearly you shouldn't trust that colleague as far as you can throw them in future though.

Please
or

SheikYourGrooveThang · 05/12/2021 21:08

It’s done now,it’s unfortunate your colleague told manager as opposed to a word with you. It’s a bit tell tales for an adult to run to the manager. Anyhow, you’re clearly mortified, it is unlikely to happen again. However anytime the tell tale worker slips up,dob them in. They did it to you after all

Please
or

ChaToilLeam · 05/12/2021 21:08

It’s not really professional to swear in a client’s home, but if your colleague wasn’t happy, they could have said something instead of being a clipe. Two lessons learned, no swearing in client premises and watch your back with sneaky colleague.

Please
or

EberhardtSmallcock · 05/12/2021 21:11

@ClaudiusTheGod

I was ripped a new one

Horrible phrase

Agreed. What does it actually mean?

I have no patience at all with swearing other than to yourself, in your own home (not overheard), and with friends whose vocabulary is similar.
Please
or

Steelesauce · 05/12/2021 21:13

Take it on the chin and become very frosty with colleague.

I shouted shit in a room full of elderly residents yesterday when I dropped a plate. They laughed and proceeded to roast me on my juggling skills. I'm the manager though so no one to report me to Grin

Please
or

OnAWobblyFence · 05/12/2021 21:14

@Slavetolove

iv never sworn, especially around clients! I can't think of anything worse.

You said in your first post that you do swear.
Please
or

KissedintheDark · 05/12/2021 21:19

[quote Almostmenopausal]@KissedintheDark Ignore Bluntness, virtue signalling is their favourite pastime on MN[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up. Smile

Please
or

PinkSyCo · 05/12/2021 21:22

You swore where there was a chance of your clients hearing it. That was very unprofessional of you, so you got a bollocking for it. How could that possibly be unreasonable when the rules had been spelt out for you?

Please
or

Westerman · 05/12/2021 21:22

I wouldn't have reported you. I'd just have said to mind your language and only done something more if it was repeated behaviour.
I think an actual warning was a bit much in the first instance, too. But, it's happened, so you just need to carry on with your good work and the warning will be removed from your record soon enough.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.