Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

London flat €400k convenient to West End?

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 22:14

Please can I have some advice on whether AIBU to look for a flat that's 30 minutes or less walking distance from the West End please? If so where should I look? A 1 bedroom would be OK but not in a high rise building or above a restaurant. Just me and DH, no children. I want a place where I can easily go to the theatre and walk home afterwards. Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

spotcheck · 03/12/2021 07:26

@VestaTilley

Why are you posting on here not looking on Right Move??

Or Phil and Kirstie
Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 03/12/2021 07:26

@MargotEmin

*Freehold apartment in Bloomsbury for 375 //www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/116333852#/?channel=RES_BUY*

Crikey that's a good price, what's the catch?

Its tiny
Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 03/12/2021 07:27

Pimlico is 30-40 min walk to Leicester Square

I agree 30 mins at a leisurely pace to Trafalgar Square- I walk it regularly

Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 03/12/2021 07:29

@ManicPixie

Walking distance from the west end? You’ll be lucky to find a broom closet at that price.
Not at all true
Just bought 1 and viewed loads.

Where did you buy? Because everyone’s now suggesting flats that are well beyond a half hour walk of the west end.

I bought I very close to some that have been suggested!

It takes me 35 minute too walk to J Sheeky for Supper.
Under £450- was listed at £550
Please
or

ManicPixie · 03/12/2021 07:38

Pretty tiny flats from what I can see but yes, fair shout. Covid’s clearly hit zone 1 harder than I thought. If the OP’s ok with just a place to sleep then that’s a nice enough area.

Please
or

ManicPixie · 03/12/2021 07:39

*pimlico, that is.

Please
or

HaveringWavering · 03/12/2021 10:24

Ha ha ha ha stealth boast there if ever there was one.

Please
or

NotJustACigar · 03/12/2021 10:30

Pimlico sounds absolutely perfect and I'm so glad I asked on here...so to all the naysayers....nyah nyah Grin. Thank you very much for all the responses.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Clymene · 03/12/2021 10:35

That flat in Bloomsbury is over 100 sq ft smaller than minimum recommended size for a single bedded flat. It's basically a studio.

Pimlico would be perfect

Please
or

Play8063 · 03/12/2021 10:46

lol good luck. 30min train commute more realistic but a push.

Please
or

EdgeOfTheSky · 03/12/2021 10:54

Good luck OP - I hope you find something just right.

A few tips:

Ask how long the lease is before viewing. You may not need a long lease for mortgage purposes, but you will for re-sale, and once you have bought the freeholder has you over a barrel.

Ask how much is the service charge, maintenance charge and how much is the ground rent.

What is the transport like from your work home? That is the journey when you are most likely to be carrying your bags.

Will the Congestion Charge / ULEZ charge be an issue for you?

Please
or

ScribblingPixie · 03/12/2021 10:54

I suggested E&C and Walworth but I agree, completely scrub those areas if prices are this low in Pimlico. What a terrible time to be selling a central London flat!

Please
or

RandomLondoner · 03/12/2021 10:55

Why are so many London properties mouse-ridden?

We never had mice in 20 years of living here, until massive ongoing building works started on the former industrial site next door. Since then apparently many flats have had mice try to move in, and the management company has been on the case.

There was no sign of mice in our flat, until suddenly one day the cat removed four mice from our kitchen. (Took them thought the living room into the flat garden to play with them.)

In one case she lay on the kitchen floor for over an hour, intently watching the base of the dishwasher, just out of line-of-sight of anything underneath, before pouncing on one that ventured out.

It's not even our cat, it just spends several hours a day hanging out here.

Please
or

ScribblingPixie · 03/12/2021 11:02

Also, though I'm sure you have it in mind, think about outdoor space & future trends for resale. My friend has a flat in a great area but it's gone down about 15 percent in value since the start of the pandemic because it has no balcony/garden.

Please
or

Pinkdelight3 · 03/12/2021 11:08

I love that Goldfinger flat @ghislaine! Would snap that up if I could. And for those slagging E&C, there are nice/cool bits and some rough/dog bits same as everywhere else in London. It's a great spot for being walkable to the river/town but not costing a bomb, and the shopping centre has finally come down now so regeneration is happening. Mind you, it's the area that made me choose to move to London over fancier spots in Islington because it felt like a place where things were happening. The University of the Arts is there, Southwark Playhouse, and Mark Moore from S Express used to hang out in that underpass!

Please
or

ManicPixie · 03/12/2021 11:22

@NotJustACigar

Pimlico sounds absolutely perfect and I'm so glad I asked on here...so to all the naysayers....nyah nyah Grin. Thank you very much for all the responses.

To be fair anything under 450k in Pimlico is still a proverbial shoebox, but if you are looking for nothing more than a base to sleep/eat (I assume that’s the case?) then it’s probably the nicest area/most central area you can get.
Please
or

NotJustACigar · 03/12/2021 11:39

This one is lovely though yes, very small. www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/115041293
But as it's just me and DH and we wouldn't be living there full time I think that would be OK. I occasionally have to go into the office in London and this flat is 17 minutes walk away!

OP's posts:
Please
or

InSuburbiton · 03/12/2021 12:00

Looks nice, but any cooking smells will go straight up to your sleeping area!

Please
or

43leftfeet · 03/12/2021 12:18

@InSuburbiton

Looks nice, but any cooking smells will go straight up to your sleeping area!

Ah, that's liveable with. It's gorgeous!
Please
or

ManicPixie · 03/12/2021 12:47

@NotJustACigar

This one is lovely though yes, very small. www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/115041293
But as it's just me and DH and we wouldn't be living there full time I think that would be OK. I occasionally have to go into the office in London and this flat is 17 minutes walk away!

I’d say that’s quite big for the money! Maybe the mezzanine is just giving the illusion of size though. I expect the service charge and/or ground rent to be quite high.
Please
or

43leftfeet · 03/12/2021 13:02

I expect the service charge and/or ground rent to be quite high.

That's another really important point - this can vary wildly between properties.

Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 03/12/2021 15:50

@NotJustACigar

I have been watching that one. It has dropped in price.
You will get better ones come up if you keep checking
They either sell in a couple of weeks (nice/reasonably priced) or sit it out and drop further until they become reasonably priced

I have tried to find a few we viewed but didnt buy but looks like they have been taken off sale.
Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 03/12/2021 15:51

@HaveringWavering

Ha ha ha ha stealth boast there if ever there was one.

It is next to many theatres- which was the OPs requirement!
Please
or

sunshinesupermum · 03/12/2021 16:06

CurtainTroubles Great it is such a nice place to live but there are a lot of flats for sale in Churchill Gardens. Any idea why that would be? Do you have high service charges? Short leases?

Please
or

Blondewithredlips · 03/12/2021 16:13

YABU to expect to get anything in London for 400k

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.