Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

London flat €400k convenient to West End?

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 22:14

Please can I have some advice on whether AIBU to look for a flat that's 30 minutes or less walking distance from the West End please? If so where should I look? A 1 bedroom would be OK but not in a high rise building or above a restaurant. Just me and DH, no children. I want a place where I can easily go to the theatre and walk home afterwards. Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

KittenKong · 05/12/2021 12:49

Houseboats look pretty - but I’d be scared of sinking. Or water rats. Or tourists peering through the windows (we lived in a cute mews and it happened quite a lot ‘oh look!!!! People live in these!!!’)

Please
or

Mosaic123 · 05/12/2021 12:48

Make sure you ask about the service charge before you view.

Please
or

InSuburbiton · 05/12/2021 12:46

I've looked into a houseboat before. The issues are that the maintenance is very expensive (recaulking the hull every 3 years, plus the cost of the mooring), and they don't hold their value, so they are most definitely not an investment. And the hassle of emptying out the waste and restocking the water.
Please
or

InSuburbiton · 05/12/2021 12:44

@hivemindneeded

Bloomsbury is a lovely area. It's where we might eventually retire to (and as stated below, great access to the Eurostar!)
Please
or

thestaffy · 05/12/2021 12:42

The place you need to look out for is VALE ROYAL HOUSE. It isn't near the west end, it is IN THE MIDDLE OF IT! I know. I lived there for some years. For those of you who know the area, it is the low rise block with the main entrance on Newport Court, which is the walkway linking Chinatown and Charing Cross Road. Long lease, reasonable service charge, ex council block. However it does have commercial premises on the ground floor, but I would call it an estate rather than a block, as there is a large patio area in the middle of it, sitting on what is technically the first floor. From inside you think this is actually the ground floor. When friends came to visit, they were amazed this existed right by Leicester Square. 300 sq ft. £450,000 ish asking.(Beat them down) 2-3 mins walk to many theatres.

Please
or

KittenKong · 05/12/2021 11:36

True... I spotted a cracker near the BT tower - gorgeous wee flat on a road I know (it’s a nice street). Though it looked brilliant for DS - until
I spotted it has a very short lease with a sitting tenant with a long teen residency!

Please
or

EdgeOfTheSky · 05/12/2021 11:23

If a flat has a good long lease it will be mentioned as a selling point.

Please
or

EdgeOfTheSky · 05/12/2021 11:23

[quote KittenKong]Auction and I can’t spot the lease length

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/117055043#/?channel=RES_BUY[/quote]
It says 13 years.

Please
or

TheCategoryIs · 05/12/2021 11:23

I live near Kings Cross/St Pancras so on the very edge of central London. In a reasonably sized two bed with a small garden. We wanted a walkable commute. Never felt unsafe but I think with that sort of budget there'll always be a massive compromise.

Please
or

KittenKong · 05/12/2021 11:05

Auction and I can’t spot the lease length

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/117055043#/?channel=RES_BUY

Please
or

KittenKong · 05/12/2021 11:03

Please
or

ivykaty44 · 05/12/2021 10:53

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/79536903

I’m a fast Walker, so can get from Euston to west end in 30 minutes

The advantage of this location is you could walk to the station & hop on a train to Paris

Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 05/12/2021 10:31

To add- we were also looking for 450sq ft as a minimum, most were up to 550 that we saw.

I would say that layout trumps size. We saw some smaller ones with a much better layout and some larger ones with less useable space.

Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 05/12/2021 10:28

Having spent 6 month researching and buying a 1 bed flat within 30 minutes waking fo the west end (range was about 40 minutes). I know that there are plenty:

1. Good flats sell quickly despite it being a dead as a dodo market overall
  2. Cash buyers will be able to get the best deals
  3. Many many flats we looked at went through the land registry at 20% below their asking price. So for £400,000 (and I would say if you can got to £450 the range is much, much better) you would look up to £500,000 and £450,000 about £550,000

We looked:
    Fitzrovia
    Bankside/Waterloo
    Pimlico

Also looked at a few outliers outside of these areas. Avoided borough high street as my DH doesnt like it- but that was the area with the most and although further out a bit up by the jam factory (?) also had loads. Also avoided Thames Shard/London Bridge as a bit far out but again loads there.
Please
or

hivemindneeded · 05/12/2021 09:15

Please
or

Newpuppymummy · 05/12/2021 09:02

I would avoid Churchill Gardens estate. I used to work at a school there , there is a lot of issues with knife crime and drugs. Not really very safe to walk around there at night on your own. As everywhere there are some really lovely people living on that estate but also a lot of people I wouldn’t want to meet on a dark night

Please
or

Newpuppymummy · 05/12/2021 08:56

There are one bedroom flats in Pimlico that Are not in tower blocks or above shops for that price. Not many but A few.
Also

Please
or

EdgeOfTheSky · 05/12/2021 08:22

@KittenKong

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/86056939#/?channel=RES_BUY

Depends what you are looking for - this would work as a pied a terre. Not sure what service charge would be.

It has a 27 year lease, and £4700 p.a service charge.
Please
or

hivemindneeded · 05/12/2021 07:55

@MissCruellaDeVil

You won't even get a closet for that price within walking distance to the west end!

Yes you will. I put central London plus 1/2 mile into Right Move and there were 14 pages of flats. Everything from a gorgeous stucco wedding cake of a building just off Hyde Park (presumably not many years left on lease) to a massive range of pretty, sunny and spacious one-beds in Vauxhall, Elephant, Camden.
Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 05/12/2021 00:35

@MissCruellaDeVil

You won't even get a closet for that price within walking distance to the west end!

And yet you can.
Rightmove and the land registry recent sold prices are your friend.
Please
or

MissCruellaDeVil · 05/12/2021 00:06

Please
or

IceandIndigo · 04/12/2021 21:24

Try Walthamstow. End of the Victoria Line, 20 minutes on the tube to Oxford Circus.

Please
or

KittenKong · 04/12/2021 21:14

About £4K pa (not sure what that covers).

Please
or

InSuburbiton · 04/12/2021 20:56

@KittenKong

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/86056939#/?channel=RES_BUY

Depends what you are looking for - this would work as a pied a terre. Not sure what service charge would be.

With concierge it's bound to be quite high. Very busy street, but a generally nice location.
Please
or

Annabelll · 04/12/2021 17:24

Elephant and Castle has loads of flats for under £400k. That’s 45 mins walk-ish from the West End and in zone 1.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.