Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

London flat €400k convenient to West End?

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 22:14

Please can I have some advice on whether AIBU to look for a flat that's 30 minutes or less walking distance from the West End please? If so where should I look? A 1 bedroom would be OK but not in a high rise building or above a restaurant. Just me and DH, no children. I want a place where I can easily go to the theatre and walk home afterwards. Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bouncebacker · 02/12/2021 22:25

@gogohm true - as are the others that I posted - but often a lease extension isn’t that much - we extended ours (Zone 2) for £20k

Please
or

Bouncebacker · 02/12/2021 22:26

Also, don’t limit yourself to half an hour - I walk in to work from Zone 2 - it takes about an hour and that’s totally doable when you get used to it

Please
or

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 22:29

Thanks, this is helpful. There are a few on rightmove but for someone like me not from the area (or even close) it's hard to know whether they'd be suitable - and it sounds like they're not. The Charing Cross Station idea sounds good. Any ideas where would be suitable from there please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ApolloandDaphne · 02/12/2021 22:29

Is this as a main residence or second home? If the latter then just spend the money on hotels. If the former then buy a flat further out and use the tube like everyone else in London does.

Please
or

Clymene · 02/12/2021 22:29

[quote Bouncebacker]@gogohm true - as are the others that I posted - but often a lease extension isn’t that much - we extended ours (Zone 2) for £20k[/quote]
You won't be about to extend a 27 year lease in Bloomsbury for £20k

Please
or

DancingTeeth · 02/12/2021 22:31

www.hamptons.co.uk/properties/14738342/sales/WES210194#/

Not 30 min walk but maybe by public transport you’d be in west end in half an hour.

Please
or

zeddybrek · 02/12/2021 22:31

I reckon you could but it would be a quick bus ride or 40/45 min walk. Try Kings Cross, Islington area but it would have to be ex council.

Please
or

SwedishEdith · 02/12/2021 22:33

I just put Euston in and you can find quite a few (sold now, of course). Some need work but there are some.

This one has 94 years on the lease so, I think, still mortgeable for now. Area may be horrid though.

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106134374#/?channel=RES_BUY

Please
or

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 22:36

As to whether it's a second home - it would be the only property we would own however wouldn't be living there full time but in a property provided with DH's job. So would be our way of staying on the property ladder and would use it as a getaway from his work. @DancingTeeth that place looks good!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Clymene · 02/12/2021 22:37

[quote SwedishEdith]I just put Euston in and you can find quite a few (sold now, of course). Some need work but there are some.

This one has 94 years on the lease so, I think, still mortgeable for now. Area may be horrid though.

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106134374#/?channel=RES_BUY[/quote]
That's because that area us about to become the biggest building site in London. There's a massive redevelopment of Euston happening along with HS2.

Please
or

WheelieBinPrincess · 02/12/2021 22:39

What 😂

Our crappymouse-ridden (rented) flat in zone 2 is worth 400k.

Please
or

SwedishEdith · 02/12/2021 22:40

@Clymene

True. It was already a building site last time I was there, tbh.

Please
or

Cyberworrier · 02/12/2021 22:40

I've just had a quick look at what's available in Camden/Islington under 400k and saw a couple of one beds needing renovation in local authority blocks. I really wouldn't recommend those. (Having lived in similar and having had issues with neighbours/soundproofing/safety).

Lewisham and Blackheath are on direct train lines from Charing Cross in 30 mins. You could also look into where goes into Waterloo East or Waterloo (that'll be a lot of south london/beyond) and then walk across Waterloo Bridge into the West End.

It would be helpful for us to have more information in order to give better recommendations!

Please
or

Clymene · 02/12/2021 22:41

Ok so you're looking for a property that's 30-30 mins by public transport from the west end?

That opens up your options enormously.

South London is generally still cheaper

Please
or

toots111 · 02/12/2021 22:42

You can get flats for around that in Lambeth North / west of Waterloo. Ex council but still nice. 30mins or so walk to Covent Garden along and across the river. The estates around sail street.

Please
or

rainyskylight · 02/12/2021 22:42

agreeing with Clymene regarding that spot right next to a massive train station in a building site.

Please
or

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 22:43

@SwedishEdith that one is gorgeous, thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 22:45

@Clymene I guess that's what I'm looking for now that I been told walking distance isn't really practicable. But the closer the better, though not with huge problems. I would not have known about the building site! Massively helpful, thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

toots111 · 02/12/2021 22:46

Example: Lambeth Road, London SE11
www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/101701382

Please
or

SW1amp · 02/12/2021 22:47

Which theatres do you want to be able to walk home from?
Because it would take you the best part of 15 mins to walk from the Haymarket ones to the Covent Garden ones
Or haymarket to south bank

If you mean Royal Court, you could probably scrape an ex-LA in Battersea park
If you mean Southbank, you could scrape something in Kennington or Elephant

West end - you’d have to look at somewhere completely awful like Cally road

Please
or

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 22:48

Thank you cyberworrier and toots111!

OP's posts:
Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 02/12/2021 22:48

@ManicPixie

Walking distance from the west end? You’ll be lucky to find a broom closet at that price.

Not at all true
Just bought 1 and viewed loads.
Are you a cash buyer?
Please
or

BlueMoon23 · 02/12/2021 22:49

South London is your best bet. Lewisham has DLR, bus and train into London so is versatile.

Please
or

NotStayingIn · 02/12/2021 22:50

[quote SwedishEdith]I just put Euston in and you can find quite a few (sold now, of course). Some need work but there are some.

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106134374#/?channel=RES_BUY[/quote]
Wow I actually think whoever bought this did really well! Sure the area is a bit of a mess now, but the location is amazing and it will get better.

OP if you can find something like that and are willing to hold onto it for a few years (OK, quite a few years) till the building works around you improve you are onto such a winner!

Please
or

ghislaine · 02/12/2021 22:50

How about this in Islington? £425, garden and 88 years left on the lease. www.portico.com/islington/for-sale/properties/1-bedroom/CyAOzGSLP_particulars.pdf

Maisonette in Islington for 400 with 981 years left on the lease. www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/104
703347#/?channel=RES_BUY

Freehold apartment in Bloomsbury for 375 www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/116333852#/?channel=RES_BUY

1 bed leasehold (doesn’t say how long is left) in King’s Cross (Bloomsbury side) for 340: www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114288470#/?channel=RES_BUY

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.