Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

London flat €400k convenient to West End?

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 22:14

Please can I have some advice on whether AIBU to look for a flat that's 30 minutes or less walking distance from the West End please? If so where should I look? A 1 bedroom would be OK but not in a high rise building or above a restaurant. Just me and DH, no children. I want a place where I can easily go to the theatre and walk home afterwards. Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 02/12/2021 23:20

Its a buyers market for 1 beds in central London

Please
or

Comefromaway · 02/12/2021 23:23

Dd works in Covent Garden area theatre. She currently rents in Ealing but has also lost vex in Clapham (expensive) and Mottingham (30 mins overground from Charing Cross).

There are some shared ownership flats currently for sale.

Please
or

kindlyensure · 02/12/2021 23:23

Pimlico is the area you want to put into Rightmove.

Please
or

Sugarbellaella · 02/12/2021 23:25

[quote SwedishEdith]I just put Euston in and you can find quite a few (sold now, of course). Some need work but there are some.

This one has 94 years on the lease so, I think, still mortgeable for now. Area may be horrid though.

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106134374#/?channel=RES_BUY[/quote]
Charlton street is one of the few streets in London I’ve felt properly scared on. It’s not a nice area.

Please
or

littlepieces · 02/12/2021 23:29

Just take a look on Rightmove/Zoopla? (And you'll find the answer is no).

Please
or

Thatswhatmamasaid · 02/12/2021 23:31

Try and find somewhere along Crossrail instead, then you might be in with a chance of actually finding something.

Please
or

Sithee · 02/12/2021 23:34

Not walking distance at all, but you could look at Finsbury Park. It’s probably a bit over your budget, but is on both the Victoria and Piccadilly Lines for fast access to the West End. Decent transit links for elsewhere too and good local amenities.

Please
or

Happyhappyday · 02/12/2021 23:34

Nope! We sold our flat in streatham a couple years ago for £100k more than that…

My best suggestion would be ex council just south of the river between lambeth bridge and black friars bridge. I lived in a couple flats in that area, it was super convenient and it’s not the most scenic area so things are cheaper.

Please
or

AJGranny · 02/12/2021 23:37

Please
or

gogohm · 02/12/2021 23:38

A few hints, if you need a mortgage check how long a lease is minimum, generally they look for 80+ years or more. Check service charges and ground rent. If you have a car can you park? Check location of supermarkets, the small convenience ones don't necessarily stock everything.

I would suggest renting for 6 months to test out central London living

Please
or

kindlyensure · 02/12/2021 23:39

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/110713184#/?channel=RES_BUY Pimlico. if you want to be near 'town' you can walk everywhere from here - Covent Garden, Sloane Sq, South Bank, St James Park, Knightsbridge.... all pleasant walks home in the evening. Nice neighbourhood, good street.

Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 02/12/2021 23:39

@Happyhappyday

Nope! We sold our flat in streatham a couple years ago for £100k more than that…

My best suggestion would be ex council just south of the river between lambeth bridge and black friars bridge. I lived in a couple flats in that area, it was super convenient and it’s not the most scenic area so things are cheaper.

And prices are MUCH lower now than a couple of years ago in central London.

Having spent the last few months looking at flats I can assure you that the prices they are selling for are not what they are advertised at and the prices they are advertised at are about 2017 prices.

When the price really drops cash buyers come in quickly- so hard to get a real bargain if you need a mortgage.
Please
or

AJGranny · 02/12/2021 23:42

Loads here, more or less same area (a couple of minutes from Borough high street?

www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/london/falmouth-road/

Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 02/12/2021 23:42

@gogohm

A few hints, if you need a mortgage check how long a lease is minimum, generally they look for 80+ years or more. Check service charges and ground rent. If you have a car can you park? Check location of supermarkets, the small convenience ones don't necessarily stock everything.

I would suggest renting for 6 months to test out central London living

Rents are through the roof- properties going to sealed bids for rentals.
Please
or

oakleaffy · 02/12/2021 23:43

@NotJustACigar

That should be £400k not euros Blush

I clicked on this thinking it was a joke.
No way in heck will you be able to find a flat anywhere NEAR there West End for that. Those were 1980's prices.
Please
or

43leftfeet · 02/12/2021 23:44

@littlepieces

Just take a look on Rightmove/Zoopla? (And you'll find the answer is no).

Why don't you have a look at Rightmove?

And you'll find the answer is yes. Assuming the OP is up for a stroll, the choice is quite overwheming tbh.
London flat €400k convenient to West End?
Please
or

Marimaur · 02/12/2021 23:46

Mornington Crescent or Euston/Somers town.
Maybe ex council flat around Old Street/Hoxton but not very convenient for the West End.
Also maybe parts chalk farm, canning town.

You could maybe find a studio or a one bed for that price! It will prob be very small, or need work, and ex council. You would prob be looking at an estate too.

If you see a nice flat in central for that money, there’s something up with it!

Please
or

Marimaur · 02/12/2021 23:50

Also Southwark, Elephant and Castle, Bermondsey

Please
or

Marimaur · 02/12/2021 23:51

Also Battersea

Please
or

Whilamina · 02/12/2021 23:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

LitCrit · 02/12/2021 23:53

I often used to walk into town from Kennington. Not half an hour but not much more. This is lovely but it doesn’t say how long lease. www.kfh.co.uk/south-east-london-and-north-kent/kennington/se11/flats-for-sale/2255580/

Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 02/12/2021 23:54

@Marimaur

Also Southwark, Elephant and Castle, Bermondsey

Loads around there.

We found that flats either sell in a couple of weeks or take a long time
We looked at stc on rightmovd and then land registry for a few a could of months later.

Worked out from that areas we could afford and registered with all the agents and sat and waited until 1 came up . Ended up with a very small geographic search area which helped
Please
or

Whilamina · 02/12/2021 23:54

Check out Churchill Gardens in Pimlico - negotiable prices as plenty for sale and great location by the River.

Please
or

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 23:57

@43leftfeet exactly, thank you! All those saying "look on rightmove" and "no you won't find a broom closet" or "those are 80s prices"have misunderstood the point of the question or have out of date knowledge. Rightmove says "yes" but whether any of the flats are a good idea is another thing.
I massively appreciate all the real answers and will be looking at each suggestion I'm depth with DH and researching further.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HolidayTime2021 · 03/12/2021 00:00

@Whilamina

Check out Churchill Gardens in Pimlico - negotiable prices as plenty for sale and great location by the River.

Low council tax in Westminster
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.