Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

My kid has told another kid Santa isn't real...

Santaslittleproblem · 13/11/2021 21:22

Our kids are 9 and at school they have had a discussion amongst a few of them about whether Santa is real.

I've had a very shirty message from a parent, which appears to single out my child having spilled the beans and subsequently spoilt the 'magic of Christmas' for their child, who has also told their younger siblings who've been crying over it. The parents have had to spend a lot of time reassuring the kids that Santa IS in fact real, and have requested that I ask my child not to discuss it further in school.

My child found out about Santa from their older sibling, and wasn't too bothered by it. I've said before that they should not talk about it with their friends, and when I asked them about this conversation, my child was absolutely gutted to have caused upset to others.

How should I respond, if at all? I don't want to fall out with them, but I'm stunned they've approached me with this, tbh.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

DrSbaitso · 16/11/2021 08:45

@TirednWorried

People need to understand that really older children only believe because they trust their parents not to lie to them.

Or they've been threatened with no gifts...
Please
or

Pesimistic · 16/11/2021 08:57

My child found out at 7 that santa wasn't real, from a child at school, there's nothing you can do about it.

Please
or

billy1966 · 16/11/2021 09:50

@HotPenguin

How is it your 9yo fault that her 9yo told their siblings? I have a 9yo and I'd better there isn't a single kid in their class who doesn't doubt that Santa is real. Some have been saying they don't believe since y1.

What strikes me is this.

She's pissed off with you because of your son telling and her child has done the EXACT same thing telling his siblings.

I think I would say I am so sorry that a conversation involving lots of children including your son has caused upset in her house and that was not the intention.

Very unkind of her to single your son out.
Unfortunately children do chat about these things but I always warned my to never get involved in confirming Santa didn't exist as they never knew who might still believe.
Please
or

Lewski · 16/11/2021 10:19

Back in the day I was probably 'that' child - my parents told me aged 5 that they put the presents in my stocking. It arose because we moved to a new house which didnt have a fireplace and chimney so I asked my parents directly and was told.

It seems silly to base the celebration of Christmas upon a myth - apart from anything else the children womnt appreciate the hard work we as parents put in!

Please
or

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 16/11/2021 10:30

I've never told any of mine he's not real. They don't seem damaged by the lie as 26 and 18 year old adults.

My 10 year old doesn't really believe now either . He wouldn't go around telling other children santa isn't real though. Same as he doesn't go around telling them that God isn't real

Please
or

NiceDayForA · 16/11/2021 10:40

Ha ha

These parents are ridiculous and precious

Obviously Santa is something kids talk about and at some point one will always state he's not real and age 9 is a pretty normal age to do this.

I would just ignore them and not bother to answer

Please
or

NiceDayForA · 16/11/2021 10:43

When my DC worked out Santa wasn't real they carried on pretending to believe he was knowing that I knew they knew the truth. It just made for a sweeter Christmas.

I think they thought they'd get less or no presents if they admitted the truth out loud Grin

Please
or

MizzFizz · 16/11/2021 10:53

The funny thing is, they're upset that your child told their child... But THEIR child told their other child, so basically did the exact same thing as your child... 🙄🙄🙄

I would say that your child is gutted they upset their friend (truth) and leave it at that.

Please
or

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 16/11/2021 11:50

Hi X, spoke to DC and he/she was gutted to find out they'd upset your child. Have reminded them to keep Santa chat for home. All the best.

^^ this is good, but I would add in an apology

Please
or

TheSpiral · 16/11/2021 11:59

When I was a kid (and loved the idea of Santa) I used to believe that children who said it was their parents, or who said their parents had told them it was them, actually were too naughty for Santa to come to and so their parents had had to step up. The same for those who had loads more presents than me, or families where "Santa" brought all the big tree presents - those were extra ones that the parents had bought, because Father Christmas only brings small gifts for the stocking.

I made this up myself.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.