My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To wonder why anyone would get a takeaway roast?

491 replies

NewAgeWiccan · 03/04/2021 19:17

I get supporting local pubs, but I just don't understand why anyone would get a takeaway roast?

Pubs are charging £15 for a one course Sunday roast (every week, not just Easter). Which isn't exactly cheap. I would have thought this would be pretty grim once you get it home, and a home cooked roast is far superior.

OP posts:
Suipigz · 05/04/2021 08:23

£15!!! That seems v pricey! Our local hostelry offers theirs @£7.95, takeaway or delivered hot ( v few delivery services for takeaway in rural areas) which was brilliant when I had to isolate.
In answer to the OP question:
Convenient
Good for single peeps
Supporting local businesses
Supporting those who support the NHS ( they took free dinners and cakes to our local hospitals every week last year)
Tasty
Can enjoy a glass of wine with it which I couldn’t do if I went out for carvery

PurplePansy05 · 05/04/2021 08:27

Well we just moved in and the oven really isn't great and only the smaller bit of it works, effectively it's a grill with an oven function. We made a roast, said never again, took hours. Until we renovate the kitchen next month, DH said we'd consider ordering roasts.

His grandparents are elderly and sometimes get ready meals, including roasts, from local businesses. They're 80 and 90+, if that's what they want I don't see anything wrong with it.

Of course roasts will be expensive now, pub and restaurant owners have lost a lot of money.

I really don't see the point in querying this, tbh.

PurplePansy05 · 05/04/2021 08:32

And also what a ludicrous comment from someone above about not ordering pasta dishes. Clearly you've never been to Italy or even a good Italian restaurant in the UK, if they make fresh pasta and use good quality original ingredients with a bit of family secrets, you can use your tinned tomatoes and Tesco pasta all you want and follow your SW understanding of a pasta dish, but trust me, it's NOT the same. And yes, I'd more than happily order and pay for it.

Hmm

Itsjustricemichael · 05/04/2021 08:34

During lockdown I'd pick a 10 pound one up on a Sunday from our local pub for my 80plus mum. She likes her midday meal bang on 12.15, and the vegetables and the meat well cooked (all of which if we make a roast at ours isn't happening - we tend to make a 4 o'clock Sunday roast) and it served her for lunch and leftovers for supper.
She really enjoyed it.. she can easily do all a roast and trimmings and has for decades but as she said.. "not for one".
It was a little something every Sunday she enjoyed and looked forward to the whole thing from me calling round with it.

fatchilli123 · 05/04/2021 08:59

If my cooker worked I would... except they don't deliver round here .
Our local has a really good reputation and cheaper than yours but you have to heat the oven ready for it to be put in ... Stuffed on both counts here

AbsolutelyPansy · 05/04/2021 09:00

yanbu

LynetteScavo · 05/04/2021 09:06

@Bluntness100 - earlier I was told some people don’t have the abilities, facilities, physical limitations. - I was trying to me nice.

If you have a Bosch series 6 dishwasher you can definitely fit in everything in for a 5 person roast dinner, although I did give one of the roaring pans a scrub first yesterday, and washed the saucepan I'd steamed the veg in by hand, but that took about 30 seconds. It's not good with champagne flutes though I have more trouble fitting it all in the main oven.

A local hotel is sending out roast dinners with things in separate containers who h does look like it arrives in a better state that the pubs which a cramming it all into one foil container for delivery.

Maybe by next Christmas having your Christmas dinner delivered will be a thing.

Maybe ordinary a roast dinner to be delivered to a house next to the park is now a thing. I'm going keep a look out for that Grin

dejacqueray · 05/04/2021 09:07

I understand getting a roast better than I undestand getting a pizza delivered. It takes less time to bung a forzen one in the oven than it takes to get one delivered. And inlike the roast, you don't even have to make it!

HauntedDishcloth · 05/04/2021 09:10

Our local is a 30second walk away & a kids' serving is £5 which is more than enough so it's probably not that different than making from scratch. It has the meat, gravy, potatoes, stuffing, parsnips, cauliflower cheese, carrots, broccoli & peas. We'd only do two extra veg other than potatoes. Also I'm on chemo at the mo so wouldn't have the energy to do it anyway.

LynetteScavo · 05/04/2021 09:20

@dejacqueray - I hear you! You can get really nice fresh pizzas and garlic bread to shove in the oven, but DD still loves a pizza delivery, which really irritates me.

BikeRunSki · 05/04/2021 09:24

Because we often spend Sunday morning on football sidelines and it’s brilliant to come home to.
Because I don’t eat meat, but my family does abs I hate cooking it.
Because I have better things to do on a weekend than spending hours cooking.

JMR185 · 05/04/2021 09:25

I had one delivered for Mother's Day, it was delicious. Can't see why not if it's what you fancy. I normally cook a roast for the two of us on Sundays but can see no reason why you shouldn't buy one if you fancy it and can afford it. In fact I don't understand why anyone would care one way or another!

AbsolutelyPansy · 05/04/2021 09:31

a roast is an easy dish, i agree,
it cooks itself

Orla1970 · 05/04/2021 09:33

This is the funniest and most patronising thing I’ve read in ages. Thanks for that step by step glimpse into your 1950s how to be a good wife life. But you missed a couple of things out. I do hope you took your apron off, smoothed down your hair and freshened your lipstick before your husband came into your spotless kitchen to carve?! Mostly I cook my own roast dinners, or heaven forbid my husband cooks them AND carves. Who knew men can cook? But sometimes we can’t be bothered and order a roast from the fabulous hotel along the road. Food is delicious and we can go crazy and order two different types of roast dinner. My spotless kitchen remains spotless. And sometimes we really go crazy and order a couple of pints and cocktails too, now run along and make sure you get all the grit out of your leeks as hubby would not be pleased if they’re not up to your usual exacting standard. Toodle pip!

AbsolutelyPansy · 05/04/2021 09:35

my ds cooks a marvellous roast

Orla1970 · 05/04/2021 09:36

This was in reply to RosesandHellebores

AbsolutelyPansy · 05/04/2021 09:38

i dont reheat my veggies, i cook them last, the meat can sit and rest, and i use the cabbage water for gravy.

Trumanshow · 05/04/2021 09:41

We had a takeaway roast last night and it was so good!! I love a roast but it gets frustrating cooking them every week..I have a broken leg and it's just such an effort that by the time I've finished cooking I just dont feel like eating it anymore!! We got a huge selection of veg and 3 types of meat, roasted were amazing. I really enjoyed my Sunday off and it wasnt that expensive..2 adults and a child for less than £30. Think my partner would say its money well spent to not have me complaining 🤣

Bluntness100 · 05/04/2021 09:52

@Orla1970

This is the funniest and most patronising thing I’ve read in ages. Thanks for that step by step glimpse into your 1950s how to be a good wife life. But you missed a couple of things out. I do hope you took your apron off, smoothed down your hair and freshened your lipstick before your husband came into your spotless kitchen to carve?! Mostly I cook my own roast dinners, or heaven forbid my husband cooks them AND carves. Who knew men can cook? But sometimes we can’t be bothered and order a roast from the fabulous hotel along the road. Food is delicious and we can go crazy and order two different types of roast dinner. My spotless kitchen remains spotless. And sometimes we really go crazy and order a couple of pints and cocktails too, now run along and make sure you get all the grit out of your leeks as hubby would not be pleased if they’re not up to your usual exacting standard. Toodle pip!

I think maybe the poster is older, and was trying to be helpful. So maybe worth taking it in the spirit it was intended. Yes most of us raised an eye brow at the husband carving and pouring the wine, but different generations and people do things differently.

Although my grannies, who would be well over 100 if alive today didn’t live like this, but each to their own.

I’m also not sure anyone posted saying they ordered it because they didn’t know how to cook a roast. Some don’t, but most of us do.

Maybe it was a piss take, who knows, but I’d err on the side of an older poster meaning well.
pam290358 · 05/04/2021 09:52

Don’t kill me, but I always thought a roast was one of the easiest things to cook. Not much to peeling veg and banging a joint in the oven - google the cooking times if you’re not sure. I admit making good gravy takes a bit of practice, but once you’ve mastered it, there’s nothing like a good gravy to make the meal, and you can add things to make it your own. I’d rather cook a good roast than faff about with complicated recipes.

pam290358 · 05/04/2021 09:54

.........not to mention that while the meat is cooking it gives you time to have a good sample of the wine you bought specifically to add a splash to the gravy !!!

fellrunner85 · 05/04/2021 10:04

Don’t kill me, but I always thought a roast was one of the easiest things to cook

I'm envious. By day, on the surface, I'm an intelligent woman. I head up a large department in a big organisation. I manage huge budgets; I make major decisions; blah blah blah.

But can I time things so veg AND meat AND Yorkshires are all ready at once? Plus make gravy and cauliflower cheese and various other shizzle at the same time? No I cannot, sadly. And I bet there's a lot of people like me.

Yes, I could learn if I tried, but there's so many other things to do Grin

RosesAndHellebores · 05/04/2021 10:07

Oh do come on @pam290358; I never buy wine. DH has it shipped from France and brings it up from the cellar as required Smile.

lioncitygirl · 05/04/2021 10:08

Because they want to? Jesus Christ. This is not something to get annoyed about!

HeronLanyon · 05/04/2021 10:10

I’m about to make eggs benedict with spinach (so a kind of florentine benedict). Timing those 4 elements is a challenge - I pretty much always get it right but bloody hell the washing up !
A moment on the lips a lifetime at the kitchen sink. Confused

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.