My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To keep DC off school now until after the Christmas hols?

130 replies

FeatherySquawkington · 16/12/2019 16:22

D&V bug ripping through the DC's school, so many kids off. WIBU to just keep them off from now to avoid it? I have two immunocompromised close family members that we would be seeing a lot of over Christmas. Friday is supposed to be their last day.....

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

740 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
29%
You are NOT being unreasonable
71%
Londongirl86 · 19/12/2019 08:06

@Lucyinthesky21

I've kept mine off yesterday and today for the same thing. I'd rather her attendance was down slightly than we don't get our much needed family Christmas. It is a shame my child's missing out on christmas jumper day today but a child has gone back after sickness too early. The school's dropping like flies too. It's just not worth the risk. Schools so important but so is family and the rare bit of time we get together each year. Christmas is the only time everyone is off work together and we can switch off from school and routine and work for two weeks. Also they are only children for a few years. These are the special parts arnt they x

Kazzyhoward · 19/12/2019 08:15

Yes, you would. It's a whole week of school.

Highly unlikely they'd be doing any new/important in the last week of any time. It's usually just the teachers, de-mob happy, biding their time to the holidays, doing admin, tidying, etc., and just leaving the kids to do random activities on their own, like "fun" worksheets (the amount of Christmas word searches they hand out is unbelievable!). So, no, it wouldn't have bothered me to keep my DS off in those circumstances.

Kazzyhoward · 19/12/2019 08:15

term, not time.

Londongirl86 · 19/12/2019 08:19

@Mumtobe1608

I get where you are coming from. Illness is a part of life though and I feel the school's and policies try and make you feel it shouldn't be. Bugs are rife through October to march. Even for adults! It is not ideal to skive off a healthy child to prevent norovirus entering the home for Christmas but, if the school's encouraged/allowed the child to stay off so they really can recover (without parents being penalised for children having a few days off) then it wouldn't need to spread. It's all a catch 22. We don't want you back for 48 hours but your attendance is below 95%. Not to mention the threats in the policies of meetings and fines if you dare get past 90%. Whilst 90% is low. It's not uncommon for a child to get chicken pox for a week and then get a tummy bug two months later for a few days. Then young kids have fevers and bad coughs and colds every few weeks sometimes over winter. There's a child with asthma in my child's class. He's has nearly three weeks off since September. But he goes back and theres more kids with bad coughs! My child's had four genuine sick days this year because she's had coughs and fevers. I sent her in with a cold one day and I was asked to collect as her eyes were streaming.

I also don't believe in giving rewards for 100% attendance. My friends child's had one day off since September. She's coughed until she was sick and went in. She had a horrendous cold for two weeks and looked miserable but still was sent in. She then gets norovirus and goes back the day after being sick on Monday. My child's best friends with her. I've got a child with swollen glands etc not eating this week. He's had a hospital stay this year. He's really weak right now. There's no way I want to risk norovirus. I'm putting my kids first. I don't care if the school's attendance is poor. They need to be more thorougher with the 48 hour rule and refuse kids back even if mum pretends Jonny overate!

Also dishonest parents are a huge part of the problem. If your child's ill and you work you need back up. Especially with stomach bugs. There's no excuse to send them in. Not to mention you will probably go down if your child's had it.

laudete · 19/12/2019 09:00

I am also a school governor. There is very little happening during the last week of our school term; all the essential stuff (for the kids; not the teachers) was completed the previous week - including almost all the Xmas activities. I hope your younger child is better soon. As your children have such high attendance rates, a couple of days of absence will not significantly affect them or the school.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.