My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To keep DC off school now until after the Christmas hols?

130 replies

FeatherySquawkington · 16/12/2019 16:22

D&V bug ripping through the DC's school, so many kids off. WIBU to just keep them off from now to avoid it? I have two immunocompromised close family members that we would be seeing a lot of over Christmas. Friday is supposed to be their last day.....

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

740 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
29%
You are NOT being unreasonable
71%
MadamShazam · 17/12/2019 18:04

Keep them off. They won't miss anything important the last week before the hols!

Sara107 · 17/12/2019 18:19

There are multiple bugs in my dds school and I am very tempted to just keep her home. Yesterday half the day was nativity rehearsal and today half the day was nativity play. They are not doing any more ‘learning’ this week- panto visit tomorrow, colouring and computer games on Thurs, films on Fri. Almost half the school are sick, some have vomiting bug, dds class have throat / chest / fever thing. Personally I think the school should be closed, given a deep clean and bring everyone back in the new term. Keep your kids at home OP!

GhostsInSnow · 17/12/2019 18:20

Lots of our local schools have closed for a couple of days over the last week for deep cleaning as so many staff and pupils had Noro.

I'm avoiding all children until the New Year Grin

scottsparkteacher · 17/12/2019 18:22

Load of nonsense about no work being done in the last week. My year 5 class will be doing some Xmas activites on the last day but also some really important work too.

cherrybath · 17/12/2019 18:25

Sorry if this repeats what others have said, I've not had time to read many posts.
I'd take DC out in your circumstances. They don't really do a lot of work at this stage of the Christmas term so they wouldn't be missing much in terms of work, though I guess they'd be disappointed to miss the Christmas events.

AdobeWanKenobi · 17/12/2019 18:41

Load of nonsense about no work being done in the last week

I suspect that depends on the school, staff and pupils on register. Just because something is being done in your school doesn't mean it's happening in all.

Jeeperscreepers69 · 17/12/2019 18:45

Wow i had to have a leg off to stay off school. How silly. Send them. Germs never hurt anyone

FelicisNox · 17/12/2019 18:56

You have immunocompromised family members so I would say yes.

I'm not a fan of keeping kids off school for no reason but DnV is nasty, there are only a few days to go and none of you need that at the Christmas and besides, it's a one off.

Keep them off and tell the school they caught the bug.

Londongirl86 · 17/12/2019 19:02

@Jeeperscreepers69 I think it's more that people have spent a fortune, got plans with family and want healthy children for christmas. Nobody wants to risk it all going to waste whilst they vomit into a bucket. It's once a year and it's a special time. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to protect their children from a horrible stomach bug!

sunshine11 · 17/12/2019 19:21

Unfortunately D&V is a side effect of the flu nasal spray (check the product insert). There's been a huge roll out of the nasal spray and subsequently/coincidentally a hug increase in D&V.

I would absolutely keep them off, not least to avoid the shedding - those recently vaccinated with the nasal spray shouldn't be around the immuno-compromised.

AdobeWanKenobi · 17/12/2019 19:52

Germs never hurt anyone

Grin

olivertwistwantsmore · 17/12/2019 20:12

Unfortunately D&V is a side effect of the flu nasal spray (check the product insert). There's been a huge roll out of the nasal spray and subsequently/coincidentally a hug increase in D&V.

Really, @sunshine11?? Do you have proof of this?? Doesn't mention it on NHS wsebsite

Commonwasher · 17/12/2019 21:32

Just do it, not worth the risk x

littlejlb · 17/12/2019 22:12

@sunshine11, the nasel flu spray does not make you ill, with flu or anything else. Just like any other vaccine, it gives you protection, not illness or disability.
Original poster, if your really worried, then keep your children off, your certainly not being unreasonable.

Shhimtryingtosleep · 17/12/2019 22:14

My kids school don't even have the 48 hour sickness rule. It only applies IF it's a confirmed case of stomach flu.

olivertwistwantsmore · 17/12/2019 22:21

Wtf is a confirmed case of stomach flu? Is that even a thing? Who confirms it? Who even goes to the gp with d&v?

Your dc’s school sounds very ill-informed, @sshimtryingtosleep.

xmastreestar · 17/12/2019 22:28

Keep them off. My 9 year old has come to me worried that none of the older yr 5 and 6 kids wash their hands after the toilet and are making all the younger kids poorly. They don’t have better hygiene we just hope they do and goes unnoticed! It’s all parties and crafts now keep them off for their own health if that’s what you think they won’t miss much

Toomuchtrouble4me · 17/12/2019 22:34

Yes - definitely, I would. Just say they’ve got it and keep them well for Christmas.
Had a parent on the phone telling me that she didn’t know how she’d managed to get through the day accompanying children in school trip to pants as her flu was so bad and she felt so ill. I think she wanted congratulating - She got a rollicking from me for risking making all the kids sick for Christmas!

MrsPilkington · 18/12/2019 12:05

Nope. I’ve kept mine off from today too. The eldest school demand they go in as soon as vomiting stops and they called a class assembly yesterday to remind students that Noro is in the school in every year group and to wash their hands. Great. How about implementing the 48hr rule. The younger two have a sore throat and cough after a cold that they finally shook off just last week, croup in October and a chest infection. I’m done now. They’re exhausted and worn down and I want them to be well and rested before the festivities begin. We had to leave two sets of vulnerable grandies alone all Christmas last year after planning to have them stay from Christmas seven to Boxing Day because the youngest came out with chicken pox and I’m desperate to give everyone a good one this year. It could well be the grandparents last.

lovelyupnorth · 18/12/2019 12:09

To be honest my 17 y/o DD is not going in tomorrow and Friday as would much rather revise and work at home with mocks first week back rather than play games at school. She’s in year 13 at a selective Grammer and most of her class are pissed off as have plenty to do rather than play fucking scrabble.

Do with D&V going around I’d be steering clear.

juneo63 · 18/12/2019 16:41

Keep them off, it's not worth the risk!

juneo63 · 18/12/2019 19:09

Oh no!! Hope all is ok xx

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LucyintheSky21 · 18/12/2019 20:10

I have had the exact same dilemma since last weekend! One of my DC was poorly (with tonsillitis) the week before last and was off school. Then last week my other DC was off for the full 5 day week with flu symptoms (high temperature, aches and pains, not eating, very unwell but no sickness or the other). Both DC were well enough to go back to school on Monday (as in this Monday) for their last week of school, however illness has been absolutely rife at our school and there were hardly any children at school the whole of last week due to the winter vomiting bug. I have been (and still am) very worried that although my DC have been unwell with other things that going back to school this week they will pick up the d&v bug and then be poorly for xmas and xmas ruined. I have been saying to DH every day, should I just send them for the first few days this week and then keep them off so that if they do get it, there’s a chance they might recover in time for xmas day. As it stands, my DC have both been back at school since Monday and have just tomorrow and Friday until they break up. I don’t think illness is quite as bad as what it was last week although I know the d&v bug is going around. I have been trying to Google what the incubation period is and I believe it’s 12 to 48 hours. I’m still not sure whether to send mine for their last two days but both would like to go as apparently they are doing lots of ‘fun’ things at school like xmas parties tomorrow and a games day etc. It’s very difficult knowing what to do and as some of the other posters have said above, a lot of the problem with this is that so many parents send their DC back to school when they haven’t been off long enough and are still contagious to others. A good friend of mine has had her DC off for less than 48 hours since he was last sick and plans to send him back tomorrow as she ‘needs’ to work.
Alarmingly my DC were at a party a few weeks ago just before they were both poorly and another parent actually sent a child to the same party with the d&v bug and the child had to run outside the party venture twice to be sick outside for all to see. It amazes me how stupid some people are when it comes to the issue of children and illness. Did your kids are poorly, keep them at home. It’s simple.

LucyintheSky21 · 18/12/2019 20:12

Sorry for the typo’s. Meant to say ‘if’ your children are poorly keep them at home. And the party ‘venue’ not ‘venture’.

Mumtobe1608 · 19/12/2019 05:54

Your child’s school is judged on their attendance. You should support them. It is a huge struggle at this time of year with students being genuinely unwell. You should send them in, this is a long time to keep them off.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.