Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

If tomorrow the Tories/Boirs defeat the NHS

92 replies

HaHaVeryBunny · 11/12/2019 15:47

Can they own up to a picture of a child lying on the floor in the NHS, and say we need better treatment for all?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

88 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
68%
You are NOT being unreasonable
32%
voteJC · 11/12/2019 15:51

They will sell off the NHS. It's not safe with them

FoxFoxSierra · 11/12/2019 16:15

They will use it as an excuse to sell off the nhs

ArseDarkly · 11/12/2019 16:20

The last 9 years have clearly shown that they don't give a shit about 'better treatment for all'.

The NHS is finished if the Tories get in.

MerryShitmas · 11/12/2019 16:21

They’ve had years to sort this shit and year on year it’s gotten worse.
Tomorrow I’ll be voting labour for the first time... no regrets.

Lockshunkugel · 11/12/2019 16:23

Eh?

Baaaahhhhh · 11/12/2019 16:24

Conspiracy or cock-up.... the hospital had under-estimated demand requirements. Simple. The trust is in surplus. Mis-management.

Spamantha · 11/12/2019 16:43

In 2002, as a backbencher, Boris made a speech to parliament calling for the NHS to be broken up in favour of private healthcare.

The Conservative Party are fundamentally opposed to the idea of social care (but haven't actively campaigned to scrap it previously because that's a real vote-loser).

When Brexit happens, our economy will be on its knees and we'll be desperate for a trade deal.

The US have made quite clear that they expect full market access to the US as part of a trade deal.

You'd have to be crazy to think the NHS survives Brexit under the Torries.

HaHaVeryBunny · 11/12/2019 18:16

The answer no.

OP posts:
Mymycherrypie · 11/12/2019 18:19

It’s not the only photo of those conditions, my friends 3 month old was left to sleep on two chairs pushed together, with bronchitis.

I’m so scared my kids will become ill or my disability will get worse and we will find ourselves on the list of people the tories despise.

DowntownAbby · 11/12/2019 18:23

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

voteJC · 12/12/2019 08:59

Theres too many stories of the nHS being starved for cash, Torys will continue with this

Aroundnabout1 · 12/12/2019 09:00

Vote Labour if you love the NHS.

Clavinova · 12/12/2019 09:32

the hospital had under-estimated demand requirements

Probably - only one news outlet seems to have released the entire statement from Leeds NHS Trust:

"Dr Yvette Oade, Chief Medical Officer at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust said: “Our hospitals are extremely busy at the moment and we are very sorry that Jack’s family had a long wait in our Emergency Department."

“We have seen a significant increase in the number of people visiting our Paediatric Emergency Department, and this week we saw the highest attendances we have seen since April 2016. Despite this, our staff are working tirelessly to provide the best possible care under these extreme pressures."

“Jack was quickly assessed upon arrival and seen in two different clinical treatment rooms in the Paediatric Emergency Department."

“Within four hours a decision was made to admit Jack to our Children’s Assessment and Treatment (CAT) Unit for further monitoring overnight. Unfortunately, the unit was also experiencing exceptionally high levels of demand which meant that Jack was required to wait in the clinical treatment room in the Paediatric Emergency Department until a bed became available. Jack was admitted to the CAT Unit later that evening and was discharged home the following morning after a medical review."

“We are extremely sorry that there were only chairs available in the treatment room, and no bed.This falls below our usual high standards, and for this we would like to sincerely apologise to Jack and his family."

“We are increasing the bed availability in our Children’s Hospital and our Children’s Assessment and Treatment Unit will be relocating to a larger area in the new year. We are continuing to develop the plans for our new Children’s Hospital in Leeds which will be built in 2025.”

www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/people/it-was-chaos-shocking-photo-shows-leeds-four-year-old-suspected-pneumonia-forced-sleep-floor-lgi-due-lack-beds-1334909

There's too many stories of the nHS being starved for cash, Torys will continue with this

23 Nov:
“Beautiful”, “transformational” and “phenomenal” – just some of the words used by Leeds planning chiefs to describe blueprints for a brand new £450m hospital complex in the city centre."

"Leeds City councillors approved in principle early plans for a radical revamp of the Leeds General Infirmary site, which would include new children’s and adults’ hospitals."

www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/new-450m-lgi-hospital-revamp-17303382

"Hospitals of the future. For everyone. We have an exciting vision to transform healthcare for patients from Leeds, the wider region and beyond."
www.leedsth.nhs.uk/about-us/building-the-leeds-way/

Baaaahhhhh · 12/12/2019 12:14

Theres too many stories of the nHS being starved for cash, Torys will continue with this

NHS England underspent by £1bn (!) last year according to the National Audit Office. Meanwhile hosptial trusts were in deficit. There is actually enough money washing around, it just doesn't seem to be managed very well.

SpoonBlender · 12/12/2019 12:20

@Baaaahhhhh NHS spend in England alone was £115b last year. Getting to within 1% of budgeted funds across about 400 trusts/groups without overspending is astonishingly efficient. I'd love to see other businesses manage their finances so well!

RunningAwaywiththeCircus · 12/12/2019 12:32

This reply has been withdrawn

Message from MNHQ: This post has been withdrawn

RunningAwaywiththeCircus · 12/12/2019 12:33

LochJessMonster · 12/12/2019 12:37

There will never be enough capacity in the NHS to provide a child who did not need to be admitted to hospital with an unnecessary (clinically speaking) bed on the busiest day in A&E for 3.5 years. This

No matter how much money we throw at the NHS until people stop mistreating it, it will never cope.

Trewser · 12/12/2019 12:37

I didn't find the photo shocking. He could have sat in a chair but didn't want to. The hospital was busy and the bed was needed. He got a bed eventually. The hospital has plenty of money and is about to become a huge new swanky hospital. It's a non story imo.

Trewser · 12/12/2019 12:44

Yes the true shocking story of the nhs is how idiotic people are about going to a and e when they don't need to. Sat next to a woman with a cold when i was there with dds asthma attack. Literally a cold. But she was snotty and couldn't get to sleep and wanted sleeping pills.

Ringdonna · 12/12/2019 12:48

FFS they are not selli g off the NHS, if some posters had brains on here they would be dangerous.

Ringdonna · 12/12/2019 12:51

Havi g worked in the NHS as a senior manager for 23 years it is the managers and staff who are the problem. Poor decision makiNG, to many managers in non_ positions, lazy stff, timewastersabusing services etc etc.

suziesue45 · 12/12/2019 12:59

Ok so do any of you actually work for the NHS? If you do then you'd already know a fair amount of the NHS is privately owned and ran anyway. Most catering, housekeeping, estates etc are outsourced and the NHS is paying a lease on most hospitals as they are privately owned buildings. The Trust I work for has sold off a lot of its own buildings (which have now been turned into flats) and it is renting its main hospital sites but paying for the upkeep of the buildings themselves. For example, one of the main sites has recently have a new roof put on at a cost of £2million, paid for by the Trust, a building that they don't even own. So, a lot of the NHS is already private but the general public don't get to know that due to the lies spouted from the Government.

RunningAwaywiththeCircus · 12/12/2019 13:00

RunningAwaywiththeCircus · 12/12/2019 13:01

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.