Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

How is beans on toast a treat?

280 replies

kit05 · 22/11/2019 14:09

Saw someone on here the other day said they were having beans on toast as a "treat".

Why is this a treat? Is it due to salt and sugar in them ?

This was staple of my student diet, not sure I see it as a treat , more so that times are hard.

Any other treats ?

OP posts:
Bluntness100 · 25/11/2019 18:05

In your case it's apparenty food that somebody else cooked for you.
so yes, it seems to me as if you do actually understand the concept of food as a treat

Well no, because it's the act of someone I care about doing something for me that's the treat, the food itself is irreverent, I don't care if it's a sandwich or a curry. Doesn't even matter if it's not very nice. The treat is that someone making me something.

I generally low carb, through choice, but when I choose not to, I still don't think I'm treating myself by any choice of food. It's all food to me. I'm a grown up, I eat what I choose when I choose. None of it is a treat.

I also don't think food should be seen as a treat. Because it often leads to weight issues, people have a bad day they "treat" themselves, because they deserve it, because mummy told them they were good so got a chocolate bar as a kid as a treat, and then as an adult the "treats" become more and more often. Because life gets more and more shitty. Daily treats. Of often unhealthy food.

I honestly can't perceive of ever having eaten anything where I've thought this is a treat. 🤷‍♀️

mizzmelli · 25/11/2019 23:39

Literally just SCREAMED at that lol! TY for cheering me up b4 I have to get to bed b4 work.

theEnglishInPatient · 26/11/2019 11:47

I also don't think food should be seen as a treat.

You can have a very healthy view and relationship with food and have "treats" - that's what birthday cakes, party food and Christmas dinner were invented for.

"treats" like you give your dog every day for a child is just plain weird, I give you that.
But "treat food" is fine. A cup of coffee on your own in a nice and peaceful cafe can be a treat.

EleanorShellstrop100 · 26/11/2019 11:56

I live abroad in an area where there are no beans and very little cheese, and strange bread. To me, beans on toast would be an absolute dream!

thecatsthecats · 26/11/2019 12:05

I also don't think food should be seen as a treat. Because it often leads to weight issues, people have a bad day they "treat" themselves, because they deserve it, because mummy told them they were good so got a chocolate bar as a kid as a treat, and then as an adult the "treats" become more and more often. Because life gets more and more shitty. Daily treats. Of often unhealthy food.

I agree with you about the problem, but not the solution.

Food is a treat, our body reacts to it in a hormonally positive way, one linked to positive emotions.

What I have done is reprogram myself to include a greater range of foods and food behaviours as a treat.

Having a fridge full to bursting with fresh veg is a treat.
Having the time to savour breakfast is a treat.
Having a quick 5m nutritionally 'ok' meal is a treat because it leaves more time for hobbies, exercise or relaxation.
Having the time to cook an elaborate and complex meal is a treat.
And yes, sometimes, having a great big bloody slice of cake is a treat.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.