Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Education, the NHS and families cannot take much more

119 replies

WorldsGoneKrazy · 21/11/2019 20:59

INBU, but just thought I'd put this out there.

You cannot blame immigration or EU policies - try harder to explain that one please.The conservatives are to blame for the shitshow we're in - by having policies that lack any real foresight or holistic approach to public services, while working off skin and bone budgets.

Despite not liking Corbyn at all, worries about the erasure of women and some far left policy, I've changed my mind on who I will be voting for.

I cannot trust the conservatives to make any changes for the better, Brexit or no Brexit. I've never felt strongly about Brexit either way anyhow. Plus I don't want to have to retire at 70+, that is fucking bonkers.

I will be voting Labour. Anyone else?

OP posts:
nnrrrrgggghhh · 22/11/2019 15:18

Live in Corbyn’s constituency. I will be voting Tory, my 98% Labour represented council is beyond diabolical.

tequilasunrises · 22/11/2019 15:34

Yep Labour for me although in a strong Tory area. I think a lot of the arguments against him fall flat tbh. Ok he’s not expressed a strong opinion on Brexit. He doesn’t have to! It isn’t up to the PM to push through his wants at all costs, it’s up to them to listen to the people. Hence second referendum and negotiated deal. It seems perfectly clear to me.

His party aren’t perfect and nor is he. His policies may be ambitious but they are designed to end the misery and poverty that Tory policies are causing. That’s a far better goal than getting fucking Brexit done. Brexit isn’t the be all and end all. In fact I cant believe there are people out there who care more about what trading bloc we are in than our own welfare! Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas.

“Taking Back control” is all well and good but think about who you are passing that control to. News flash - if you vote Tory it isnt anyone who has your/any average working persons best interests at heart.

There are also some excellent, moderate Labour Party members at the moment and even if you hate Corbyn he won’t be leader forever.

If you Vote Conservative you are literally voting for even more poor and disabled people to die.

BMW6 · 22/11/2019 15:41

I am a floating voter - I will NOT be voting Labour as long as Momentum are pulling the strings.

Velveteenfruitbowl · 22/11/2019 15:44

Hell would freeze over before I voted for the current Labour manifesto. It’s economic suicide.

Crass12 · 22/11/2019 15:44

Fuck no, not a chance in hell I’d ever vote Labour

SilverySurfer · 22/11/2019 15:58

I don't understand why any woman; any person with a disability; any person of colour; any working class person; any Northerner, Welsh person, Scot, Geordie, Scouser, or Brummie (I could go on); or anyone earning less than £100K PERSONALLY, not as family or husband's income, or anyone in healthcare or education would vote Tory

I'm a woman, I have a severe physical disability, I am working class and I definitely don't earn £100k, my last tax bill was £0, oh and I'm half Welsh.

Vote Conservatives!

Listeningtoday · 22/11/2019 18:54

I trust JC and think the Tory’s have been trying to smear him consistently since he became a threat to them.
I’m voting labour.
Boris will be looking to erase all our worker’s rights, human rights and sell off the nhs if he gets his hands on a 5 year term. This right wing Tory cabinet do not care about any of us. They care only about themselves and their very rich and influential corporate friends.

Justanotherlurker · 22/11/2019 19:07

You cannot blame immigration or EU policies - try harder to explain that one please.The conservatives are to blame for the shitshow we're in - by having policies that lack any real foresight or holistic approach to public services, while working off skin and bone budgets.

You are ignorant if you think one doesn't lead into the other, it is far more nuanced than just 'muh tories' just the same as it is 'muh immigration'

I partly want Corbyn to win just so we can go through another loop of not true labour and the populist policies he has presented being restricted when real world globalist politics come into play and it isn't just shouting from the sidelines.

Some people are showing their lack of critical thinking skills when they treat things in such black and white terms such as the OP.

Plus, the obvious momentum cheat sheet is becoming more visible by the day.

organise.peoplesmomentum.com/canvassing

Alsohuman · 22/11/2019 19:14

I'm a woman, I have a severe physical disability, I am working class and I definitely don't earn £100k, my last tax bill was £0, oh and I'm half Welsh.

Vote Conservatives!

I absolutely can’t get my head round this level of self harm.

cannycat20 · 22/11/2019 21:46

@SilverySurfer would you care to explain why you're voting Conservative? I'm with @Alsohuman on this one. Did you vote Leave an' all?! I'm genuinely curious as to your reasons for voting for a party that despises you.

Mind you, my mother, a Geordie housewife from a very poor working class family with NO income beyond what Dad left her (which was liveable on, just) voted Tory her entire life until dementia was diagnosed and 24/7 care became necessary "because her mother always did". She and I had several discussions about it in the pre-dementia days. So perhaps it's something along those lines?

Dad, on the other hand, thought all politicians were scum, regardless of the colour of their tie or kitten heels.

midnightmisssuki · 22/11/2019 21:53

Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser who is anti women, and he hates Jewish people, we will drag us all back to the 50s among other things. He talks about being normal, anti private school, and sends his children to private school. But yes. Let’s vote for him.

PinkCrayon · 22/11/2019 21:53

I am not a fan of corbyn but I will be voting Labour. The Conservatives have implemented too many cuts. My children's schools are underfunded as are most schools due to all of the cuts. The NHS is at breaking point. I can't believe that people have to use food banks in this day and age its not acceptable. I can't stand the tories.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed · 23/11/2019 10:53

Corbyn didn’t send his children to private school (many around him did though)

But he went to private school himself comes from a very comfortable back ground which rather than admitting to and being thankful for plays it down 🙄

Dontdisturbmenow · 23/11/2019 11:17

Both parties are total cuckoo land when it comes to the NHS, have clearly no clue at all what the true issues are, let alone what initiatives could possibly help, but labour's ambitions are even more laughable. I can only assume the same goes for everything else. I'll be voting for neither of them.

iamadalek2 · 23/11/2019 11:24

@EnthusiasmIsDisturbed corbyn went to private school until he was 11. Also grew up in a manor. He's a complete hypocrite and will ruin this country!

SilverySurfer · 23/11/2019 11:25

cannycat20
@SilverySurfer would you care to explain why you're voting Conservative? I'm with @Alsohuman on this one. Did you vote Leave an' all?! I'm genuinely curious as to your reasons for voting for a party that despises you.

I simply see no viable alternative.

Labour - as midnightmisssuki said, Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser who is anti women, anti-semitic and is also economically illiterate. Then there's McDonnell whose raison d'etre appears to be overthrowing capitalism. Finally Momentum who would like to see us become a communist state. Centre left labour MPs have either left or been disenfranchised.

Libdims are a one policy party.

Greens - most of their policies are bonkers.

HTH

cannycat20 · 23/11/2019 17:03

@SilverySurfer

So essentially you're comfortable voting for a party that despises you, as well as, amongst others, the old, women, poor people, disabled people, immigrants and basically anyone who isn't a Caucasian upper middle class English male (British or even Colonial at a push but they must have attended the right schools/universities)? I could almost understand it more if you either said you weren't going to vote or you were going to spoil your ballot paper.

Don't you care about your fellow human beings at all? I'm just a little bewildered by your justification. I was hoping for something just a smidgeon more substantial - you know, a nice kind Tory man in a lovely suit helped you across a zebra crossing when you were 3, or bought you a kitten for your 8th birthday, or you had a teacher at school who was ever so clever but happened to be Tory, or something!

If I went with my heart I'd vote Green. But that will not get rid of the Tory monsters who have been our most recent "rulers". Nor will voting for the Jo Swinson Admiration Party, and sadly I don't live in Scotland (yet) so I can't vote SNP. So in England I'm left with Labour. I can't say for sure that a vote for Labour will get rid of these spiritually compromised bags of skin who call themselves Conservatives, but there is a very, very slim chance that it might.

Baguetteaboutit · 23/11/2019 17:08

Don't you care about your fellow human beings at all?

FFS. I've never voted Tory in my life but this is beyond the fucking pale. Pull your head in.

cardibach · 23/11/2019 17:18

Those worrying about labour due to the GRA - have you looked at the manifesto? It’s caused TRAs to say it was written by ‘TERF’s. And as for the supposed vast expense of the manifesto promises, if you line up the spend with other countries (on a % basis, not absolute sums so it’s not due to population differences) it’s pretty modest - see chart. Why do you think all these other countries can afford it but not us? Plus Labour borrow less and repay more than Tories, consistently (see other chart). There’s way too much disinformation about a Labour.

cannycat20 · 23/11/2019 17:31

@Baguetteaboutit Just as one example, haven't you seen the homelessness figures, let alone actually seen the homeless sitting in doorways in the pouring rain? Or don't you have them in your part of the world? Haven't you seen the increase in the numbers of food banks and of people using them, in the 5th richest country in the world (or wherever we're supposed to be this week)? I just don't understand how people can justify using their vote to sustain that implicit level of contempt for others.

So, for instance: www.politicshome.com/news/uk/social-affairs/welfare/news/107943/universal-credit-slammed-figures-show-sharpest-rise-food

metro.co.uk/2019/01/31/165-increase-homelessness-since-tories-took-power-8419274/ (This is from the Metro, which is bankrolled by the Daily Mail and dished out free on buses, trains and at other outlets to unsuspecting half-asleep commuters. I know. I was one. So it's hardly a left-wing leaning paper.)

Also, www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/01/perfect-storm-austerity-behind-130000-deaths-uk-ippr-report;

And, for balance on that last one, www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-did-austerity-kill-120000-people

On this occasion I was also a bit taken aback by the Green comment. Or haven't people seen the flooded fields from Cornwall to Cumbria? In 15 years I have never seen the waters of the Severn as high as they were this time last week at this time of year. I lived in the East Midlands for three years. I never saw trains between two of the major cities cancelled, as they have been this year. That's without looking at those poor people who've lost their homes and their livelihoods. Or what about the fires raging across Australia? Oh yes, right, climate change is a myth.

As it happens, like many on here I'll be long dead by the time the true impact becomes apparent; I'll probably see the start of the worst of it. While I sometimes think a random meteorite putting the entire human race out of its misery would be the best thing that could happen for the sake of the rest of the planet, I still like to think there'll be something left of the Earth for the next generation as a whole, not just my direct relatives. And to bring it back to the Tories, even their "let's call off fracking" headline is likely to have been just a temporary ruse: "https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-fracking-ban-u-turn-shale-gas-general-election-921414". They certainly don't give a toss about the environment, in any shape or form, unless they can make money from it.

So I stand by my statement.

AutumnColours9 · 23/11/2019 17:35

Labour here

The only people I know voting Tory have been brainwashed by right wing rags. They're going to be screwed the most. Such a con how people somehow believe Tories care for the working class!!
Figures show the lower the education, the more chance people vote Tory.

Baguetteaboutit · 23/11/2019 18:10

Yes cardi, I read:

"Labour is committed to reforming the Gender Recognition Act 2004 to introduce self-declaration for transgender people".

...in the manifesto.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LynseyLou1982 · 23/11/2019 18:17

I'll be voting Labour. I don't particularly like Corbyn but I'm not voting for the man I'm voting for the policies. As a northerner I cannot bring myself to vote Tory, I despise them and their policies.

Baguetteaboutit · 23/11/2019 18:18

That's on Pg 68, fyi.

iamadalek2 · 23/11/2019 18:31

@AutumnColours9 "Figures show the lower the education, the more chance people vote Tory"

What figures? Where? You just made that up didn't you? All credibility lost!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.