Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Education, the NHS and families cannot take much more

119 replies

WorldsGoneKrazy · 21/11/2019 20:59

INBU, but just thought I'd put this out there.

You cannot blame immigration or EU policies - try harder to explain that one please.The conservatives are to blame for the shitshow we're in - by having policies that lack any real foresight or holistic approach to public services, while working off skin and bone budgets.

Despite not liking Corbyn at all, worries about the erasure of women and some far left policy, I've changed my mind on who I will be voting for.

I cannot trust the conservatives to make any changes for the better, Brexit or no Brexit. I've never felt strongly about Brexit either way anyhow. Plus I don't want to have to retire at 70+, that is fucking bonkers.

I will be voting Labour. Anyone else?

OP posts:
fattt · 22/11/2019 06:46

The Tories aren’t “all keen” on brexit. To say this shows a real ignorance of basic politics, to be honest. EU membership (or not) crosses parties. Plenty of eurosceptics in Labour.

Abraid2 · 22/11/2019 06:52

Unfortunately the candidate replacing our lovely former Tory remainer is pro-Brexit.

WorldsGoneKrazy · 22/11/2019 07:11

I would love to know the average type of familial and cultural background (note - NOT social class) and household income of posters on here who say they will not vote for Labour. BTW, that does not mean I think they are horrible people, maybe less exposed to the real hardships of life for one reason or another.

Let me reiterate, Corbyn and co do not fill me with confidence, but if getting them in power means better funding for public services and improved standards for ALL of society, then the party gets my vote.

This country is turning into a one party state and is being driven into misery. The long running and perpetual culture of individualism in Britain is ultimately damaging to the long term and underlying morale and unity of its people.

OP posts:
littlebillie · 22/11/2019 07:22

Austerity began after Labour was in power with the catchy letter to the incumbent Chancellor - how quickly people forget

No money left

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2010/may/17/liam-byrne-note-successor

lljkk · 22/11/2019 08:34

It's funny... maybe 20 yrs ago frequently heard moaning that the parties weren't different enough, they were battling too much over the centre ground.

So now we have polarised politics, and unclear home for centrists like me. Folk got what they wished for... and I reckon they STILL aren't happy about it!

RaymondStopThat · 22/11/2019 08:41

A competent centre left leader for Labour would have walked this election I reckon. Assuming Jezza doesn't get in, hopefully that will be the end of the hard left as an opposition. Although I suspect the Momentum infiltration will make his removal difficult. Politics is always better with a strong opposition.

user1471448556 · 22/11/2019 08:42

I will be voting Labour. Our Labour candidate is the only one who can beat the Brexiter Tory. I’m no fan of Corbyn, but I like a lot of the Labour policies and I also don’t think our public services can take any more of what the Tories are doing to them. I don’t want to live in a country where I’m fine, but other people are living hand to mouth, with crumbling schools, a struggling health service, and no help to get a step up.

Baguetteaboutit · 22/11/2019 08:55

I think I probably will vote Labour although I'm fucking furious with the Labour Party as a whole and I hate Corbyn. I quite like my Labour MP though, so when the Tories are back in power at least he'll still be there too. But I am this fucking close >< to spoiling my ballot.

Baguetteaboutit · 22/11/2019 08:59

A competent centre left leader for Labour would have walked this election I reckon.

Agreed, even if competent were only understood relative to the current alternatives and not the commonly understood definition of proper capability.

Harpingon · 22/11/2019 09:24

If labour was to elect Jess Phillips as leader they would have a good chance imo (but that would never happen because she is a "woman"). Corbyn and Abbot are madness.

havingtochangeusernameagain · 22/11/2019 09:28

I'd much prefer Labour to the Tories. If they start to throw money around and the economy starts to suffer, they'll get voted out again.

But if the Tories crash us out of the EU transition at the end of next year, there'll be no going back for years.

I'm far more worried about Brexit and the Tories than I am about self-ID. I know it's an issue but it can be sorted. Once the Tories have got their way over Brexit (and the moderate pro-European ones have stood down, so it's now a Brexit party in all but name) we'll be in a much bigger mess.

It's easy to vote out a Labour government if you don't like them. It's not so easy to get back into the EU or the SM/CU (which I think Labour would keep us in).

DuckWillow · 22/11/2019 09:39

Mother of a disabled son.

I will be voting Labour.

However round here they could stick a pig in a coat with blue rosette on and they’d vote it in.

All I can do is hope a sizeable enough number of people vote Labour to massively reduce the majority.

Not keen on Corbyn, I reserve judgement on Abbott because as a WOC she gets massive hatred and misinformation shared in the media...I don’t feel I can trust this.

I predict a Tory win anyway,

Can’t leave the country so it’s a case of keeping the charities who pick up the pieces afloat by continuing to volunteer.

Abraid2 · 22/11/2019 10:23

If labour was to elect Jess Phillips as leader they would have a good chance

This Tory would vote for her and so would my husband.

Harpingon · 22/11/2019 11:16

Abraid2 the labour leadership seem to be completely oblivious to her popularity and potential, she is clearly the future of the party once they get rid of the "old school".

Alsohuman · 22/11/2019 11:21

Also think the threat of Corbyn who doesn't support business in the slightest will sway more voters who normally don't vote Tory towards a Tory vote.

Johnson “Fuck business”.

Abraid2 · 22/11/2019 12:12

Harpington it’s unbelievable.

iamadalek2 · 22/11/2019 12:38

@Alsohuman agree more people who normally vote labour will vote Tory because the thought of extremist left corbyn terrifies them.

Kazzyhoward · 22/11/2019 12:45

The economy has to be "balanced" within realistic parameters.

Labour will bankrupt us with their stupidly excessive spending pledges - it really is that simple.

Blair/Brown built all those new hospitals, schools, etc., gave public sector payrises, paid the GPs more money for less work, but they did it by passing the cost down to the next generation by obscene PFI deals.

Corbyn's spending plans are far more excessive than Blair/Brown, so the damage will be even worse.

As for not wanting to work until you're 70, if Corbyn has his way, we'll all have to work to our 80s to pay for it all.

Kazzyhoward · 22/11/2019 12:46

I'd vote for a centralist/moderate Labour party (I have done in the past), but not this load of incompetents.

Jojo2389 · 22/11/2019 12:56

I've been a bit of a floating voter in the past. I'm not keen on any of the options this time around, or any of the leaders. I'd find a more moderate Labour with a different leadership more appealing.

It's hard to decide what to do but at the moment I find Labour more unpleasant than I find other options so it won't be them.

Alsohuman · 22/11/2019 13:44

I find Labour more unpleasant than I find other options so it won't be them.

Absolutely genuine question - why?

SerenDippitty · 22/11/2019 13:52

I will be voting Labour. It’s the only way to keep the Tories out. Last time a Conservative got in, in 2010, his majority was less than the combined vote of Plaid and the Lib Dem’s.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Sewrainbow · 22/11/2019 14:29

They're all a shower of shite BUT I feel strongly about voting. Its les than 100 years since women have had the vote, I dont think people realise how much of a privilege that is.

Also if ordinary people do not use their vote it's how extremists end up getting more power....

As a NHS worker and teacher household I shall vote labour to be tactical in our Tory stronghold (govt minister's seat, utter idiot I couldn't vote for in am million years) I lean toward Lib Dem myself but no point voting for them here. I dont like Corbyn or many of his party but they must have a better grip on public services than conservatives surely?!

Baguetteaboutit · 22/11/2019 15:04

All these parties are bad for women in their own particular ways. Tory policies disproportionately harm women. Labour intend to push forward with the GRA with renewed vigor. The lib-dems don't even want women who think that women are a distinct biological category to vote for them. I think that leaves me with ukip. So yeah, apparently women are duty bound to vote even though there are no good options for them. So if I spoil my ballot then tough shit.

HRH2020 · 22/11/2019 15:17

Yes I will vote labour (work in children's services and have DC with medical/SEN)

I think Corbyn is not the greatest but I have a real sense of doom about another conservative term.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.