Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Education, the NHS and families cannot take much more

119 replies

WorldsGoneKrazy · 21/11/2019 20:59

INBU, but just thought I'd put this out there.

You cannot blame immigration or EU policies - try harder to explain that one please.The conservatives are to blame for the shitshow we're in - by having policies that lack any real foresight or holistic approach to public services, while working off skin and bone budgets.

Despite not liking Corbyn at all, worries about the erasure of women and some far left policy, I've changed my mind on who I will be voting for.

I cannot trust the conservatives to make any changes for the better, Brexit or no Brexit. I've never felt strongly about Brexit either way anyhow. Plus I don't want to have to retire at 70+, that is fucking bonkers.

I will be voting Labour. Anyone else?

OP posts:
iamadalek2 · 21/11/2019 22:02

@cannycat20 I know plenty of people earning far less than £100k who vote tory. business owners of small businesses. Also think the threat of Corbyn who doesn't support business in the slightest will sway more voters who normally don't vote Tory towards a Tory vote.

Dusty01 · 21/11/2019 22:09

Winter: the UK’s debt has tripled since the Tories came in. Has anyone got the figures. I’ll find them later if not.

Austerity was for nothing.

Serin · 21/11/2019 22:15

I'm voting Green.
The environment is my first priority.
I dont think either of the 2 main parties feel the same way (although actually, Gove has tried).
My second priority is the NHS and I think the biggest problem there is staff recruitment and retention.
They need to increase pay and stop charging for nurse education.
I remember the elation I felt, working in the NHS when Blair got in. I was so sure things would change for the better but all they did was invest in poorly researched projects with ridiculous numbers of managers.
Just pay the staff doing the work properly.

auditoryhallucinations · 21/11/2019 22:16

Not me thanks. and I'm in the NHS

Couldn't even consider it with Abbott McDonnell and corbyn in

Inebriati · 21/11/2019 22:18

Yanbu. I'm concerned that so many politicians today don't seem to have heard of The Nolan Principles. Politics seems to be seen as a chance to get on the gravy train rather than a burden of public service.

43v1jh14ux9mdvkuh362aheq.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/The-Nolan-Principles-of-Public-Life.pdf

iamadalek2 · 21/11/2019 22:20

It would be an easier decision if corbyn, Boris, Nichola and jo all stood down and let normal people come forward as leaders, oh and abbott. Why is she still around. She's not helping labour at all. So many embarrassing videos of her campaign on Twitter every day,

Abraid2 · 21/11/2019 22:22

@AzerByeBye I agree. I don't understand why any woman; any person with a disability; any person of colour; any working class person; any Northerner, Welsh person, Scot, Geordie, Scouser, or Brummie (I could go on); or anyone earning less than £100K PERSONALLY, not as family or husband's income, or anyone in healthcare or education would vote Tory
Well I did and the only reason I’m not is Brexit.

SilverySurfer · 21/11/2019 22:25

Lovely, just what we need, another thread brought to us and paid for by Labour.

a person not earning a million a year voting for the Tories is also like 'a turkey voting for Christmas'

Gosh how original, I have never heard that phrase before.... well, apart from it being used on countless posts in every single thread about the election Hmm

Vote Conservatives!

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed · 21/11/2019 22:26

No I will not be

The manifesto all sounds very promising but it’s not a manifesto that I believe can work

Work for the NHS it needs to change not just have money thrown at it

bigvig · 21/11/2019 22:36

I'm voting Labour. I like Corbyn. At least he stands for something and I believe him when he says he wants to improve the lives of ordinary people. 85% of the press is owned by 4 companies in this country. Of-course they hate anyone threatening their interests. They've done a brilliant job of convincing people to vote against their own interests.

Pieceofpurplesky · 21/11/2019 22:36

Dianne Abbot gets so much shit in here. She is a strong woman who made some errors. Bojo gets to have a scrap with his woman (who he cheated on his wife with), make racist comments and be a sexist git - yet Abbot is the bad one. She has been a fabulous MP throughout her career.

Pieceofpurplesky · 21/11/2019 22:40

@iamadalek2 Corbyn cannot help his parents sending him to private school - his son going private was his ex wife's decision and (according to various sources) causes their divorce.

iamadalek2 · 21/11/2019 22:45

@Pieceofpurplesky Dianne Abbott I'm sure is a lovely person but she shouldn't be speaking in public. She's made so many embarrassing gaffs she's not helping labours cause. Also she sent her child to private school so a hypocrite too!

Pieceofpurplesky · 21/11/2019 22:55

@iamadalek2 no more than many many MPs. She always seems to get more negative press. I wonder why.

As for private school - I am against private school and am lucky enough to live in an area with good state schools. If I didn't and I could afford it I would probably go against my principles and send DS to one. I wouldn't jeopardise his life for my political leanings - I would hate it but given a choice between a failing school or paying ... The issue is that ALL schools should be good enough

NightsOfCabiria · 21/11/2019 23:14

Nope. I’ll never vote Labour. I live in a Tory stronghold.

iamadalek2 · 21/11/2019 23:17

@Pieceofpurplesky totally agree education should be for everyone and not just a postcode lottery. Same here. Some areas have great schools and others not do much. It's not fair. I think Abbott just comes across on tv as clueless. I have actually never seen a clip of her on tv or even in Parliament saying anything sensible. If she is indeed a good mp then it's just unfortunate she gets snapped saying daft things. She must be doing something right though or she wouldn't still be there - so you may be correct.

CoastalWave · 21/11/2019 23:21

So, financially I've got myself in a bit of a mess (lots of reasons). Hence, I've had to cut back massively to get myself back on an even keel.

This is what the Conservatives have been doing for the last 10 years. Sorting out the SHIT SHOW that Labour left.

How the hell any educated person can't understand this is beyond me!

Yeah sure, let's all vote Labour again to give them a chance to come back in and put us right back to square one. Genius idea. (and that's before the fact you have to take a leader such as Corbyn on board! )

IceCreamAndCandyfloss · 21/11/2019 23:21

No, conservatives will get my vote. Not sure what being a female has to do with voting choices though.

I want the next generations to have a better future, one they have to work for and be self reliant rather than living off benefits and not contributing to the tax pot whilst using services.

SheOfManyNames · 21/11/2019 23:24

CoastalWave conservatives have increased the debt, and will ruin the economy for generations if they push through a no-deal Brexit, but sure.

Helmlover1 · 21/11/2019 23:35

Coastalwave what planet are you living on? You admit the tories have been in power for nearly 10 years yet you still think all of our problems are because of labour? They have been out of power for nearly a decade! Are you seriously for real?

cannycat20 · 22/11/2019 00:36

@iamadalek2 Have you looked at the figures for how many small businesses have gone to the wall since the Tories have been in power? Have a look at www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-government-is-not-on-the-side-of-small-businesses-vbwhfm3h3 (okay, that one's behind a paywall so if you want a public domain equivalent, try www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/24/start-ups-across-uk-going-bust-need-careful-management-economy/. These are both Tory papers. I've deliberately not included any left wing ones (not that there are many left).

And when you say "normal people" should be leaders, do you mean like BJ? Or are you volunteering? Just genuinely curious.

@Abraid2 Did you fall into one of the example categories I listed? Or are you one of those in one of those areas I mentioned who fall into the "I'm all right Jack and nowt's ever going to go wrong in my life so sod the rest of you it's your own fault to be born poor/have become sick/got divorced/ended up on the streets" camp?

I can only presume you'll be voting Yellow Tory on the 12th of next month then, based purely on Brexit, then!

If I followed my heart I'd vote Green. Despite being more than halfway through my probable lifespan, based on genetics, and not having my own kids, and thinking that actually, the best thing that could happen for Planet Earth would be for humans to become extinct, I would actually like the next generations to have a planet of some sort left to live on. Under our current regime though voting Green is a wasted vote. So the next option that is likely to do the least amount of damage to the largest percentage of the ordinary electorate is, overall, Labour. That doesn't mean I think they're perfect, just that, on balance, they are LIKELY to have a less uneven society. And we all know that Tory Blair was not really Labour. His aim was to get into power, whatever it took, so he just went for the party where he wouldn't be competing with other people so much as he would have in the Tories or the Lib Dems. It is a great shame that John Smith died when he did. It is a great shame, in my opinion, that old style Conservatism is dead and buried. But sadly that old if slightly patronising tradition of helping people up and not stamping on their heads or burning £50 notes in front of their faces just to give a couple of examples is long gone. And now we have mendacious monsters in charge.

Even though we all know the Tories are going to win in England yet again. Though when it happens I'm anticipating a queue of people heading for Scotland and/or Ireland. Including everyone in this household.

Judemahmoodid · 22/11/2019 00:39

I will be voting Labour. Anyone else?

Most emphatically not.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

cannycat20 · 22/11/2019 00:44

@IceCreamAndCandyfloss Tories generally hate women. Even the women in the Tory party mainly hate other women. They especially hate working class women.

They'd have us all permanently chained to the kitchen sink, cooker or four poster bed if they could and turned out on the metaphorical hillside if we dared to become pregnant while in their employ. Why do you think they're so keen on Brexit? While it's not necessarily true that ALL EU laws are better than ours, many of the protections we now have, including parental leave, equal pay, the right to return to your old job after having had a baby, and some health and safety legislation, are connected to our EU membership.

ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=82&langId=en, europa.eu/youreurope/business/human-resources/working-hours-holiday-leave/parental-leave/index_en.htm and www.bestforbritain.org/10womensrights are a few sites to look at for more information.

iamadalek2 · 22/11/2019 00:45

@cannycat20 Small businesses disappear all the time and others reappear but just imagine how they will cope with higher corporation tax, higher living wages and all on a 4 day week..........

Abraid2 · 22/11/2019 06:45

Haven’t A clue who I’ll vote for. Nobody appeals.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.