Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How does someone like Jacob Rees- Mogg even come to exist, let alone end up as Leader of the Commons?

screentime · 28/07/2019 19:54

Is anyone else in utter disbelief at what politics has come to in the UK? The nation being pushed off the precipice because “democracy”, even though nobody voted for either if these last two PMs Confused and if the referendum was a GE it would have been a hung Parliament. Plus nobody even knew what Brexit would entail when they voted. Everyone knows and openly admits we’ll all be worse off, but never mind, it’s “the voice if the people” Confused. How the hell is BJ PM when he ducked out after the referendum result and flounced out of the negotiations? One day he’s saying he’ll get a great new deal and the “doubters” will be proved wrong, the next day we hear he’s preparing for a no deal as the most likely outcome. What planet is he on? And having brought the nation to this point where we’re the laughing stock of Europe, this JRM “Esq” is focusing on how many spaces to leave between sentences and wittering on about banning random words like some demented headmaster on some petty power trip! It beggars belief. And then he turns up in Wales with a son who is wearing the same clothes as him. If you went out in the streets and looked, you couldn’t find anyone who is more of an utter loon. How is any of this happening? I ask this as someone who has mainly voted Conservative in the past due to the economy, but who in their right mind would vote for this lot? AIBU?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RosaWaiting · 28/07/2019 22:19

“I would trust Rees-Mogg Esq. to bring me the liver of a still warm child in Victorian London”

Ooh I think Lelly has won the thread already.

Please
or

BackforGood · 28/07/2019 22:20

I don't usually comment on any politial threads as they usually go downhill pretty rapidly and you are never going to change the minds of most people, but you've struck a chord with me OP.
I do agree that people shouldn't be mocked or ridiculed from coming from a privilaiged background anymore than someone should be mocked for coming from a poor background or immigrant background or any other background, but so may of JRM's policies, or beliefs if you prefer, are really rather scary.

Please
or

DarkAtEndOfTunnel · 28/07/2019 22:22

Fine. Attack the policies. Attacking the person on grounds of clothing preference, and attacking his kids as well, is a bit shit.

Please
or

coolwalking · 28/07/2019 22:25

@BarbariansMum I don't care much for diversity. Its tokenism at its finest. We live in a country where anyone can stand for election. After that it's up to the constituents. If people keep voting in rich white men i am not sure what the problem is.

Please
or

HopeClearwater · 28/07/2019 22:25

Catholics are taught to follow their conscience. They aren't dragooned into what they do - they choose according to their own free will

Hellfire sermons had nothing to do with it, then?

Please
or

longwayoff · 28/07/2019 22:34

Well, that makes his opinions even worse. He chooses his vile beliefs.

Please
or

Fraggling · 28/07/2019 22:36

He can think what he likes about abortion.

When men with views like his have power though, terrible things happen to women.

Let's not pretend otherwise.

Please
or

coolwalking · 28/07/2019 22:41

his beliefs are no worse than most religions but because he is white and rich he has more right to be vilified ?

Please
or

Fraggling · 28/07/2019 22:45

I think anyone who agrees with abortion under any circs is horrible, and if they have any power, dangerous.

Eg in will salvador where women get imprisoned for micarrying. The men who make those rules are from a diffetent neck of the woods to jrm.

Interestingly jrm invested in a company that sold, I think it was abortion pills or similar. So much for conscience.

Please
or

Fraggling · 28/07/2019 22:45

Didagrees with abortion under any circs!

Oops.

Please
or

Schwibble · 28/07/2019 22:47

JRM looks like a strict school Headmaster and BJ is a demented loon and a complete embarrassment to the UK.

Please
or

Justanotherlurker · 28/07/2019 22:48

his beliefs are no worse than most religions but because he is white and rich he has more right to be vilified ?

Pretty much sums up most of MN political discussions tbh, and why its this place is considered a joke elsewhere online, it fits into the juvenile political 'reasoning' made with a heavy side order of IDPOL opression stack.

Please
or

Monsterinmypocket · 28/07/2019 22:48

I think JRM came to exist via a time portal linked to workhouse in Victorian England.

Hope that answers your question.

Please
or

Esker · 28/07/2019 22:49

JRM the public figure is, like Boris Johnson, clearly a contrived persona. The 'eccentricities' and the extreme views are all for attention. They are both operators who seem to understand the fact that at present, there is no such thing as bad publicity. To have your name on people's lips is the most important thing. It's vile 🤢

Please
or

Fraggling · 28/07/2019 22:50

So woman saying they find it scary that a man who disagrees with abortion under any circs is becoming more prominent on political stage

Is a childish view

Can you even hear yourself :/

Please
or

longwayoff · 28/07/2019 22:51

No @coolwalking, not because he's white and rich, but because he is a politician who believes his opinions are the right opinions and wishes to impose those opinions on the electorate. People are entitled to excoriate politicians with whom they disagree and should do so at every opportunity.

Please
or

Justanotherlurker · 28/07/2019 22:56

JRM looks like a strict school Headmaster and BJ is a demented loon and a complete embarrassment to the UK.

If only there wasn't an even more UK embarrassment we could have a reasonable wish for a GE, we are in a situation where we have a liberal Tory who wants to grant 500,000 illigal immigrants amnesty in power and an opposition leader who has struggled to poll above "don't know" in his leadership, the saying about we get what we deserve should be focused on the left quite a lot considering we have had this shit show for nearly 10 years.

Please
or

coolwalking · 28/07/2019 22:57

@longwayoff most people think their opinions are the right ones Confused .

I totally get challenging views you disagree with but personally attacking someone for their background is not the right way to do this. He has a pretty big majority so maybe most of his electorate AGREE with his views?! Shock horror.

Please
or

Tavannach · 28/07/2019 22:59

JRM the public figure is, like Boris Johnson, clearly a contrived persona. The 'eccentricities' and the extreme views are all for attention. They are both operators who seem to understand the fact that at present, there is no such thing as bad publicity. To have your name on people's lips is the most important thing. It's vile

Totally agree.

Please
or

WhoWants2Know · 28/07/2019 23:00

I haven't yet RTFT, but I got to the point where OP asked who wanted BJ and JRM.

Come out to my neck of the woods, and you'll find it's everyone. It's just short of a ticker tape parade for BoJo for about 30 miles in any direction. They want no deal and feel it will all be fine once they get rid of the foreigners.

They may not be on Mumsnet, but there are plenty of people out there who are happy.

Please
or

longwayoff · 28/07/2019 23:04

Obviously, @ coolwalking, however, as stated, his background is of less account than his obnoxious opinions and his desire to impose those opinions. If his unfortunate electorate agree with him, more fool them.

Please
or

QualCheckBot · 28/07/2019 23:04

I'm not a fan of his ultra Catholic anti-abortionist views, but making comments along the lines of "how can someone come to exist" and comments about his looks are just a bit OTT and really quite offensive. God forbid that some people behave or look slightly different from whatever is considered the mainstream in this country. Lets have characters, and yes, lets have more diversity in politics - I take it you are putting yourself forth and out there for public ridicule, OP?

Please
or

Patroclus · 28/07/2019 23:06

I remember a clip of Reese Mogg claiming the plural of Octupus is octupi. When informed of the truth (a supposed classicist needed to be told this) he did his 'one must speak along with the common man' shit. His child should also be Sextus. Its a fucking act and apparantly thats all you need to do to convince people of having intelligence.
And as for those who are shocked tories are like this.....

Please
or

Patroclus · 28/07/2019 23:07

Diversity? hahaha. Of course thats why you support him, of course it is.

Please
or

coolwalking · 28/07/2019 23:12

Would you call out Shabana Mahmood on her vile views? She went to Oxford so one must assume she's reasonably well educated.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.