Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How does someone like Jacob Rees- Mogg even come to exist, let alone end up as Leader of the Commons?

screentime · 28/07/2019 19:54

Is anyone else in utter disbelief at what politics has come to in the UK? The nation being pushed off the precipice because “democracy”, even though nobody voted for either if these last two PMs Confused and if the referendum was a GE it would have been a hung Parliament. Plus nobody even knew what Brexit would entail when they voted. Everyone knows and openly admits we’ll all be worse off, but never mind, it’s “the voice if the people” Confused. How the hell is BJ PM when he ducked out after the referendum result and flounced out of the negotiations? One day he’s saying he’ll get a great new deal and the “doubters” will be proved wrong, the next day we hear he’s preparing for a no deal as the most likely outcome. What planet is he on? And having brought the nation to this point where we’re the laughing stock of Europe, this JRM “Esq” is focusing on how many spaces to leave between sentences and wittering on about banning random words like some demented headmaster on some petty power trip! It beggars belief. And then he turns up in Wales with a son who is wearing the same clothes as him. If you went out in the streets and looked, you couldn’t find anyone who is more of an utter loon. How is any of this happening? I ask this as someone who has mainly voted Conservative in the past due to the economy, but who in their right mind would vote for this lot? AIBU?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Alsohuman · 30/07/2019 08:45

I’m not objecting strongly at all, unlike Boris who frothed when Gordon Brown became PM.

Please
or

BarbariansMum · 30/07/2019 07:20

Hectares has been the standard in farming, forestry and land management for many years now.

Please
or

Gone2far · 30/07/2019 07:02

Did you object this strongly when Gordon Brown became PM also?

Please
or

Xenia · 29/07/2019 22:06

I use miles and pints. However I use C not F for temperature. I used stones for weight. I was taught both at school as I think they knew even then we would continue to use both. I use acres for land not hectares.

Please
or

Fifthtimelucky · 29/07/2019 19:50

I don't think JR's preference for imperial measurements is particularly good evidence that he is that out of touch. How many of us can honestly say that we always use metric measurements all the time?

We all use imperial when it comes to pints (of beer, cider or milk) and miles, because that is the UK standard. But (although hospitals don't), surely most people also use imperial measures when it comes to describing their height, waist size, weight, and the weight of their babies?

I'm probably older than the average mumsnetter so also confess to thinking mainly in imperial terms when cooking. I know perfectly well that butter is sold in packs of 250g, but still think of it as 'half a pound'.

People do seem to be going over to metric more when it comes to temperature, I think ( in terms of weather, cooking and health).

Please
or

Alsohuman · 29/07/2019 16:26

Nobody except his constituents has voted for Boris. You do know there are areas, like where I live, where if Corbyn stood wearing a blue rosette he’d get voted in?

Please
or

Gone2far · 29/07/2019 16:23

but don't you think it begs the question that WHY are people voting for Boris et al? As I said before, doesn't it point at the utter lack of a credible opposition?

Please
or

screentime · 29/07/2019 15:46

To all those who seem to be arguing “poor old JRM Esq - he can’t help his background..,” Well, I don’t give a hoot about his background or how he stacks up against people in a psychiatric hospital Confused (and I’ve worked in a few of those thanks). The man is truly bizarre, by any benchmark. Imagine a headmaster announcing that all his staff and pupils must switch back to imperial measurements. There would be a swathe of complaints and people would think he wasn’t fit for the job, not to mention the real world in 2019.

OP's posts:
Please
or

longwayoff · 29/07/2019 13:59

@Alsohuman me too. Shows how far the centre has shifted "things fall apart, the centre cannot hold".

Please
or

scaryteacher · 29/07/2019 13:40

Gazing No one in Europe seriously shares this view. Have you spoken to every single person living in Europe, including the leave voters like me who live here? Evidently not.

I don't think Greece thinks staying in was the right idea - from what I've been reading recently about ECB machinations behind the scenes, Tsiprias folded when the ECB cut off liquidity.

As for Hungary - Orban wants to keep the EU cash flowing in, so he is playing them all the way.

Please
or

scaryteacher · 29/07/2019 13:36

Iggly I knew that by voting Leave there might not be a deal, which would have consequences if we had a hard Brexit. I also knew that those who voted remain having thought they were voting to preserve the staus quo were misguided, as there is no status quo with the EU, as we have seen recently.

I am sick to the back teeth of people saying those who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for. Yes, I had a very good idea of what I was voting for...what I didn't have foreknowledge of was how the Commission would react, and how crap May was in holding the line.

I don't think this is a coup at all, any more than the Unions choosing Ed over David Miliband, or the opportunity seized to make Corbyn labour leader.

Please
or

longwayoff · 29/07/2019 12:00

@Iasktoomany? You're excusing the Tory loons by saying that they're not actually mentally ill, like many unfortunates, they just seem that way?

Please
or

GazingIntoTheAbyss · 29/07/2019 11:10

I live abroad and many hold the opposite view are positive about Brexit and just want the uk to complete Brexit as soon as possible.

I take it that you live in the US? I can see how Trump can't wait to exploit the UK's weak trading position after Brexit.

No one in Europe seriously shares this view. Even Greece and Hungary have realised that staying in the EU is the better option, despite past anti EU rhetoric.

Please
or

IAskTooManyQuestions · 29/07/2019 11:08

@Fantababy In a delayed answer to your question - none of us are responsibilt for our birth/upbringing/parents choices - so JRM is no more able to morph then someone from a sink estate is able to.

I feel pretty sure if I sat and created posts, in the same vein, using opposite terminology about people fromsaid sink estates, i would quite rightly be castigated

If you went out in the streets and looked, you couldn’t find anyone who is more of an utter loon.~

^^ I suggest the OP gets off her derriere and takes a little walk into the A&E department of her local hospital. Because if it's anything like mine, it's full of real people with real MH issues.

What I do see actually is the usual MN collective not pulling the OP up on terminology becasue they collectively dont like the person in the subject. JRM is fair game, hes a white, male, wealthy.

Please
or

megletthesecond · 29/07/2019 10:56

yy squishy, this >>. "I'll never question whether I'm a good enough for my job again. Not with BJ as PM..."

I thought I'd made a mistake at work last week and went into my usual overnight fretting about it. Then I remembered who PM was. And I hadn't made the mistake after all. Unlike the PM who is a walking liability of stupid rich privilege, who knows he might try and get another journalist beaten up again.

Please
or

Alsohuman · 29/07/2019 10:55

I’ve no doubt a lot of Europeans are positive about Brexit. We’re causing them endless trouble and sending fuckwits to Brussels to disrupt as much as possible. I imagine the rest of Europe can’t wait to see the back of us and I don’t blame them.

Please
or

Iggly · 29/07/2019 10:54

@Janista

That was the previous Tory government. The idea that any of the 90s old guard would ever have thought a Tory government would be one to legalise gay marriage would have been laughable

That Tory government no longer exists.

Please
or

Janista · 29/07/2019 10:52

I live abroad and many hold the opposite view are positive about Brexit and just want the uk to complete Brexit as soon as possible.

Please
or

GazingIntoTheAbyss · 29/07/2019 10:32

Money.

I live abroad and people here think the UK has truly lost its marbles.

Please
or

Alsohuman · 29/07/2019 10:32

Try actually reading what was written before you start ranting @Janista. This cabinet is way, way, way further right than Thatcher’s government, no way would this lot put same sex marriage on the statute book. My memory is longer than most round here and, even in the 80s, I didn’t wake up anxious and fearful.

Please
or

Janista · 29/07/2019 10:23

People have short memories. All those moaning about how moderate and lovely Majors government was....it was seen as authoritarian, censorious and very controlling at the time. Heseltine was in many ways feared and who can forget the Criminal Justice Act. To people on their 20s they seemed more aloof and out of reach and touch than JRM and Boris do today. The idea that any of the 90s old guard would ever have thought a Tory government would be one to legalise gay marriage would have been laughable.

The Tories are way more socially liberal, environmentally progressive and open to new ideas than the 90s Tory mob you are drooling over - who were also constantly at war with each other - ever were.

No deal Brexit is here, and these are exactly the people you’d want to lead this country through it.

Please
or

Enclume · 29/07/2019 10:20

Quite like Moggy.

Please
or

Boom25 · 29/07/2019 10:17

Imperial measurements? Double space after a full stop? Does he think it the fifties? What an out of touch loon.

Please
or

Boom25 · 29/07/2019 10:11

I have to agree with you. Jacob Rees Moggs is a foul aberration.

Please
or

Alsohuman · 29/07/2019 10:08

Never did I think when I was shouting at the radio in the 80s, that the day would dawn when the Thatcher government would look moderate. The cabinet members from those days who are still around are so measured, intelligent and sensible. If Major, Heseltine, Patten and Clarke were running the show, I could actually vote Tory - something I’d sooner have eaten my own liver than contemplated 30 years ago.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.