Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Champions league ban at wedding

User12038483 · 18/05/2019 11:21

Were attending a wedding the day of the champion leagues final, now Liverpool have gotten to the final DH understandably wants to watch it. The majority of people attending are from Liverpool and the surrounding areas, my DH included. The couple getting married have now put out a notice saying that they have chosen not to screen the champions league, and they do not want anyone to ask for it to be put on, to leave and watch it or to be watching it on any devices and to please respect that this day is about them.

On one hand, I get it.. it's your wedding day. You want it to be about you. But DH and his brothers aren't willing to miss such a massive game and are now trying to work out a plan to be able to watch it and then return to the wedding after. It ended with DH and I having a bit of an argument because I think it's extremely rude to leave, watch the game and return. It's just been left with they will be watching and that's that, they think the bride and groom are being unreasonable to put a blanket ban on the whole thing and not just shove it on a tele in the bar. There's over 200 guests invited to the wedding.

Who's being unreasonable?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BecksDriver · 18/05/2019 11:52

If it was my team, I'd want to watch the football for a game as important as this. Sorry

Please
or

mynameiscalypso · 18/05/2019 11:53

Not just the superiority but also the sexism. Women like football too (and Spurs fans are also pretty keen on watching too...)

Please
or

Rach182 · 18/05/2019 11:53

I would think anyone who put a fricking football game ahead of their friends' once in a lifetime wedding was a massive twat. It's a game. Literally just a game.

You could say the same thing about the friends. It's a wedding, literally just a wedding. Why monopolize the day and prevent your family and friends getting enjoyment from the magnitude of this game and experiencing the moment. Some of these football fans have invested their money, lives and have significant emotional stake in this game. Only childbirth, a funeral or death would prevent me from watching my team in the CL final.

It's the couple's prerogative you ban the match at their venue, but they will also have to expect that many people would leave to watch it elsewhere.

Please
or

Greggers2017 · 18/05/2019 11:53

If they didn't want anybody watching a big game at their wedding why on earth book it for the end of May when all the major cup
Finals are on?
My family are Man Utd fans but they'd
Still have the champions league final on.
Recording it and watching the next day is a rediculous idea. It'd be impossible to ignore the result and everybody would be celebrating anyway.
Plus the kick off is evening anyway so what's a little tele in the corner? It'd add atmosphere if anything. Surely by then speeches, first dance, cake cutting etc would be over.

Please
or

GeoffreyEatsPancakes · 18/05/2019 11:54

Imagine the atmosphere if Liverpool lose Grin

As someone who grew up in a football obsessed house I am glad I married a man from a rugby town. When the football team loses it dictates people's moods, or it did in my house and my parents supported a very successful team.

I detest football due to the hatred that it breeds towards other teams and their players and the violence.

We got married when football season was over. My SIL booked her wedding around her team's fixtures.

Please
or

DobbyLovesSocks · 18/05/2019 11:54

I don't get football AT ALL but if this was my wedding, I would be happy for the game to be shown.

DH and I snuck off for half hour or so between dinner and the evening part of our day just to absorb the fact we had gotten married and savour the first part of the day. When we returned, no-one had really missed us and as the rest of the evening was spent with my DH catching up with family he had not seen in years and me not really seeing him, that half hour was really important.

The men can have a drink and watch the football and the girls can boogie away (which is what happens at most weddings except the men are drinking and watching the women dance).

At my in-laws reception in the 70's the DJ announced half way through that his football team had won their match (just a normal Saturday match). He shouted 'oh that's made my day' to which everyone found hilarious including my mother in law - it was just the icing on the cake.

Please
or

ooooohbetty · 18/05/2019 11:55

This would pee me off but I'm a football fan. If you're not there is no way you can understand what this game means. I bet you there will be a lot of people who suddenly become ill on the day and don't attend. Far better to let everyone who wants to just watch it. It's a really big deal and it's only 90 minutes in the evening. I know of a couple who cancelled and rearranged their wedding years ago when the local team reached a final. They knew that there would be lots of people going to Wembley instead of their wedding.

Please
or

Imaystillbedrunk · 18/05/2019 11:55

I wouldn't leave a wedding, but I know loads who would. Honestly I would embrace the football. By putting a ban on you'll have loads of people secretly watching it, leaving the wedding, resenting missing it etc. It will put a downer on the day. Embrace it, show it in another room to the disco, you could probably time it so evening guests arrive, first dance, kick off, cake cut at half time second half and still have time for everyone to enjoy the disco

Please
or

Rach182 · 18/05/2019 11:55

It's as if someone is really into Game of Thrones and insisted on watching the first new episode live at the wedding, just because it was on then, and everyone accepting this was ok because they were a fan hmm

Not the same at all. I'm a football and a GoT fan. Sport is live, most of its enjoyment is in the live action and emotions.

Please
or

User12038483 · 18/05/2019 11:56

DH and his brothers are all saying if it was during the meal they'd get it more, they're annoyed that during a party where with evening guests included there's 200 guests (mainly liverpudlians) that they won't just put it on a tele in the bar. Bride and groom sent the email saying "we know you're all massive LFC fans but..." because it's blatantly obvious most of their guests want to watch the game.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sakura7 · 18/05/2019 11:56

People who are excited about the CL final are not immature children FFS. For Spurs fans this is the biggest match of their lives and truly is once in a lifetime. It's the biggest prize in club football and its damn hard to win. For Liverpool, it's their biggest match in 14 years (yes they were there last year, but have a much better chance of winning it this time). If a lot of the guests are from Liverpool it's ingrained in their community and it's a part of them - it's totally unreasonable to try to stop them from watching. By 8pm all the important stuff is over with anyway.

If they show it and Liverpool win, the wedding will be a massive party and will be remembered for a long time. They should just embrace it.

Please
or

Lockheart · 18/05/2019 11:56

I don't understand it.

You were invited to a wedding (without football).

You RSVP'd yes to a wedding (without football).

You can't now kick off because you're going to a wedding (without football).

I have unfortunate experience of everyone I invited disappearing when something more interesting (not a sporting event) came along. Sitting on my own with a couple of tables of untouched food and alcohol, waiting for people who never came was a 21st birthday to remember. It was deeply upsetting to realise just how irrelevant I was to everyone around me.

Don't be flaky. Go to your friends wedding and be present at it.

Please
or

ShinyRuby · 18/05/2019 11:56

I'd definitely put it on probably in a bar area of the reception venue. The real hard core fans will be able to see the whole game, other guests can go in & out to check the results & anyone who doesn't want to watch can stay in the main room. I find guests drift in & out of the bar anyway at the evening do. Surely that's better than people actually leaving...which they will! What's the old famous quote? 'Football's not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!'

Please
or

longtimelurkerhelen · 18/05/2019 11:57

I am not into football, but even I understand that it is not just a football match, it is the Champions League Final. It could be 10, 15, 20 years or never that they get to see this. It is most probably once in a lifetime. I know they think their Wedding Day is special but lifelong football fans are very passionate and would rather watch the football.

If I were you OP I would have a word with B&G and let them know it is in their best interests to have somewhere for the fans to watch or half the wedding party will disappear to the nearest pub.

Please
or

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis · 18/05/2019 11:57

Time to inject a note of realism

They show it somewhere or they accept a ton of people will leave.

"please respect that this day is about them."
This is everything that is wrong about weddings these days. A wedding is a community and family celebration. Not an act of worship around a couple and their luurrve.

Please
or

AgileLass · 18/05/2019 11:57

Given that the wedding ceremony, meal and speeches will be well over by the time of the match, the couple are being completely unreasonable.

If they don’t screen the match, they run the risk of a load of guests going off somewhere else to watch it and not coming back (that’s what I’d do, to be honest).

Better to put on a big screen while the dj/band are setting up. Minimal disruption to the day and might even add to the enjoyment!

Please
or

Contraceptionismyfriend · 18/05/2019 11:58

@Betty777 kick off is 8pm. If the B&G won't show the game then they accept that most of their guests will make it an early night.

It's a wedding. The most important day of Their lives. Not their friends.

Please
or

MrsMoastyToasty · 18/05/2019 11:58

Irrespective of which teams reached the final, there was going to be a match on this date. These things are planned by the host stadium months in advance. Poor planning on the part of the bride and groom I'm afraid.

Please
or

Bookworm4 · 18/05/2019 11:58

It's an 8pm kick off, the wedding will have reached that biting bit where everyone is just sitting about, people will go watch it anyway.
@betty777
You would cry if people left any part of your wedding? Get over yourself princess 🙄

Please
or

NailsNeedDoing · 18/05/2019 11:58

I think any adult who puts that much importance into a game of football is an absolute loser, to be honest.

Grown men. Seriously. It’s pathetic.

I think the same about any adult that needs so much attention from guests on their wedding night disco that they'd rather completely spoil enjoyment of something important for people they presumably care about. Were not talking about people watching during the ceremony or the meal or the speeches, were talking about people who will have had attention on them all day by the time it kicks off.

Grown adults. (Although let's be honest, it's probably just the bride) Seriously. It's pathetic.

Please
or

Bookworm4 · 18/05/2019 11:58

*boring not biting

Please
or

KatyaZamolodchikova · 18/05/2019 11:58

There were no big games on during my wedding but the team my uncle supported were playing. He and a couple of my cousins watched it on a phone during the evening. I’d have been happy for them to watch it on a tv but we didn’t have one. There were lots of guests and I chatted to others and enjoyed the dancing. I was just pleased they were there & enjoying themselves.

I get that if everyone wants to watch it it’s a bit different.

Please
or

magicstar1 · 18/05/2019 12:00

But it’s in the evening....most people drift in and out then anyway. I went up and watched Strictly at my cousins wedding, for a break.
If it’s in a hotel, they’re all going to be out in the bar watching and the reception room will be empty...I’d rather put a screen up and try to enjoy the atmosphere.

Please
or

MelBurke · 18/05/2019 12:00

The bride and groom ANBU.
If Liverpool are that good they’ll make the next final and the next so missing one wouldn’t hurt surely Wink

Although having seen that KO is at 2000hrs I would probably put it on in another room. The important bit of the day is (usually) over by then. Depends on schedule obviously.

I’d be concerned about reactions to a loss though. Chances are there will have been much alcohol consumed during the day and football can have a strange and sometimes negative effect on its fans. It can turn the mildest of people into utter wankers.

Please
or

Rach182 · 18/05/2019 12:01

Well said @NailsNeedDoing. All this wedding nonsense, most important day in the world, all eyes on us nonsense is infantalising too

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.