Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Champions league ban at wedding

User12038483 · 18/05/2019 11:21

Were attending a wedding the day of the champion leagues final, now Liverpool have gotten to the final DH understandably wants to watch it. The majority of people attending are from Liverpool and the surrounding areas, my DH included. The couple getting married have now put out a notice saying that they have chosen not to screen the champions league, and they do not want anyone to ask for it to be put on, to leave and watch it or to be watching it on any devices and to please respect that this day is about them.

On one hand, I get it.. it's your wedding day. You want it to be about you. But DH and his brothers aren't willing to miss such a massive game and are now trying to work out a plan to be able to watch it and then return to the wedding after. It ended with DH and I having a bit of an argument because I think it's extremely rude to leave, watch the game and return. It's just been left with they will be watching and that's that, they think the bride and groom are being unreasonable to put a blanket ban on the whole thing and not just shove it on a tele in the bar. There's over 200 guests invited to the wedding.

Who's being unreasonable?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ChipsAreLife · 18/05/2019 12:12

I hate football, no interest to me whatsoever. But if I were the bride I would let them watch it, otherwise people will leave or sulk. If it was bang in the middle of the day I would understand but 8 tends to be the post dinner lull where people chat/drink and then dance floor kicks off at 10ish

Please
or

onefootinthegrave · 18/05/2019 12:12

If you are inviting friends to your wedding that you know are football fans, why would you get married on cup final day? They are BU & might find a lot of their guests disappear at 5pm!

Please
or

maid1306 · 18/05/2019 12:13

My brother got married on fa cup final day. We are all huge footy fans but lower league. We descended to my mums room had snacks & drinks and watched the match with about 15 of us.
It was during the day and a part when it was guests just milling around with drinks before the evening do. The bar also had the match on where lots of guests watched it.
It was a great part of the day filled with laughs.
Never once have they said it ruined their day.
They wanted their guests to enjoy themselves

Please
or

LittleKitty1985 · 18/05/2019 12:13

Fascinating thread! I feel so sad for the bride and groom that they've paid for a dance floor that holds 200 people and it's probably going to be virtually empty! There will be tears no doubt...

@User12038483 please get back in touch after the wedding to let us know how it worked out!

Please
or

Mummyshark2018 · 18/05/2019 12:14

I think the couple are going to be very disappointed! Most of my family are Liverpool supporters and if it were my day I would've embraced it and integrated the game into the wedding reception. I honestly do not blame people going to watch such a big game over sitting in a wedding reception listening to cheesy 90's classics (as much as I love that 😂). The couple would probably be best having their first dance, getting a big screen and showing the game!

Please
or

Reddedder · 18/05/2019 12:14

I’d choose the football if it were my team. It’s not only men who can be football daft. Lots of people on Mumsnet hate football though (far too working class) so they will always side with the bride and groom.

Please
or

TaxiGood · 18/05/2019 12:15

We are expats so our games tend to happen in the middle of the night UK time. My DH IS A fanatic for his teams but he is also a grownup with a job and the ability to exercise basic self-control, so he records the game and avoids hearing the result until he can watch it. Usually he can watch it first thing the morning but sometimes he goes a full workday without hearing the result. He texts friends and family in advance so they don’t spoil it and he stays off news and social media sites. As a bonus he gets a lot more work done without all of the distractions. My neighbour who is obsessed with Game of Thrones buy works night shifts does the same thing. It’s not a huge deal. A wedding would be a very easy place to hide from the game as you shouldn’t be on your phone much anyway, if at all, and they could make an announcement at the beginning so everyone knows not to discuss the game publicly as a courtesy to those who are waiting to watch it afterward.

Please
or

puma84 · 18/05/2019 12:15

I don't even like/follow football. But even I think it's unreasonable to not show the game. It's massive!

Please
or

BackforGood · 18/05/2019 12:15

I can't believe some of the responses on here. Why do adults think they get to act however they want because they happen to like a particular sport? Grow up

I think it's more a case of why do a couple get to dictate what everyone does at that time.
The ceremony will be over. The meal will be over. The speeches will be over.
At that point, some older folk go home anyway. Some people who struggle to get babysitters go home anyway. Some people who have a long way to travel go home anyway. In all wedding I've been to, evening guests arrive. Some people head of to drink and chat in the bar. Some people start to dance.
The sensible thing to do would be to reassure everyone the venue will have the match on in X room and dancing will be in Y room.
By sending out these ridiculous orders, all that will happen is now people will go home after the meal and speeches and the evening will fall flat.

This is much less "just a game" than it is "just another wedding" to all but the B&G and maybe their parents.

Please
or

blue25 · 18/05/2019 12:16

They can't dictate what other people do, even on their wedding day!

If some people want to watch the match, they'll watch it. In my view it's better to acknowledge that and show it in the bar, volume down. Otherwise people will be sneaking off and probably not returning.

Please
or

Lifecraft · 18/05/2019 12:16

I would think anyone who put a fricking football game ahead of their friends' once in a lifetime wedding was a massive twat. It's a game. Literally just a game.

Once in a lifetime Grin. The chances that the marriage will end in divorce and they will both marry again are under 1 in 2. The chances of Spurs getting to another CL final are a million to one.

The football fans should watch the game, and tell whoever has invited them , the bride or groom, that they'll come to their next wedding!!!

Please
or

Rach182 · 18/05/2019 12:16

@Wannabeyorkshirelass I imagine it wasn't a final though? An international friendly or group stage match is not the same as final. If your friends and family were football fans and the game was a final you'd have found out they're not as noble as you're making out.

Please
or

cuppycakey · 18/05/2019 12:16

Yeah I think the B&G have indeed set themselves up to look very stupid here.

There will be a mass exodus just before the game starts, people will go to rooms in large groups to watch the game (with booze) and comeback after.

If I were the Bride I would just put it on the tv. No drama.

Please
or

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis · 18/05/2019 12:16

"If their wedding is that big then they will have spent 18 months planning and a shed ton of money. Imagine the empty room while it on."

They are going to have that either way. They cannot insist people stay, and focus to their evening do by sending out messages reminding people it's actually all about them. They can't beat this, the only way is to go with it.

Please
or

cocomelon23 · 18/05/2019 12:16

I'd choose the football over a wedding too. 100%. Nobody really likes weddings so they. This game is massive. I've planned my wedding around football fixtures Grin

Please
or

UnicornDaisy · 18/05/2019 12:17

Personally I would show the game providing it does not clash with the ceremony / meal / speeches. For Liverpool fans this is a huge game and I would think that your DH will not be alone. A wedding is about love and friendship and fun and I would think it would make for happier guests (especially if Liverpool win!). I get a wedding is about a bride and groom but it's 90 mins and could create a great atmosphere for the evening if people are celebrating rather than being told what they can and can't do! My cousin showed an England game at her wedding and she hates football but it was the World Cup, she found a way of making it part of her day and we had sweep stakes etc.

Obviously you have no say on if the game is shown but your husband is an adult and should make his own choice.

Please
or

BookwormMe2 · 18/05/2019 12:17

It's a wedding full of LFC fans in Liverpool? If the bride and groom want to dig their heels in and ban guests from watching it, that's their call. But they really should be prepared for an empty dancefloor as people slope off to watch it! Don't give your DH grief, let him sneak out, OP - it sounds like he'll be one of dozens doing the same!

Please
or

HBStowe · 18/05/2019 12:17

Honestly, if it were anything else people would be aghast at the idea that you could slope off from a wedding you had RSVPd to just so you could watching it on the tv but because it’s football it’s somehow acceptable for it to take precedence over friends / family / manners / decency. I don’t come from a family who care about football and none of my friends are fans, so I do appreciate that I don’t get ‘it’ (whatever it is to get), but I do think football fans expect as a god-given right to be accommodated in a way no other person would expect for their hobby, regardless of how passionate they were about it.

Please
or

Myworstnightmare123 · 18/05/2019 12:18

If I had spent a lot of time and paid 1000's organising a wedding only for a bunch of people to have a hissy fit because they couldn't watch a sodding football game I would be mightily fucked off. If these people are that selfish they should probably stay away. Really rude and disrespectful to the couple who have invited people they love and care about to share in what is a really huge day for them.

Please
or

Betty777 · 18/05/2019 12:18

@Bookworm4 You're a delight, aren't you?

I was somewhat joking about crying, obviously.

8pm at my wedding was a chance for me to get to finally relax on the day with friends and family and get to speak to them, have them get drunk and dance together, not a time to have people shouting at the TV

Fortunately few of my friends would have thought it appropriate to even consider watching it. and would have had the manners to keep any thoughts of doing so to themselves

Please
or

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis · 18/05/2019 12:18

I think someone needs to make an intervention with the B&G.

Please
or

RiftGibbon · 18/05/2019 12:20

rudewords has summed it up nicely. It's a game. You can watch it later if you need to. You can't attend the wedding later.

Please
or

Myworstnightmare123 · 18/05/2019 12:20

Sorry haven’t rtwt but what about the groom?

What about the groom??

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 18/05/2019 12:21

I organised a massive event recently in a royal building (not my choice) and was worried about a big royal death perhaps occurring (yes I was anxious). Wonder what will happen to events organised when that happens !

Please
or

Teddybear45 · 18/05/2019 12:23

In an Indian wedding that may cost, overall 30-100k across all events (often paid for by the couple, parents and aunts/uncles), adding on the cost of a screen to show a cricket or football match at one of the events is often considered small fry. White weddings tend to have much tighter budgets so an extra 2-3k might blow the budget. I do, however, think it’s unacceptable to say not to stream it on devices if the guests are from Liverpool — it won’t harm anyone if the guests view the game outside / in the lobby of the hotel etc.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.