Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To wash bath towels after every use

299 replies

bananaramaspyjamas · 31/01/2019 13:33

Is this normal? I'm constantly washing towels.

OP posts:
Pickled0nion · 31/01/2019 16:08

but if you've just dried yourself off after a shower the towel isn't dry, is it? So in the morning, everyone trooping one after another into the shower - only the first person will get a dry towel.

We have two towels between us, not necessarily using the same one we used yesterday. As others have said, I always use the dry one, but if DP gets a shower after me he doesn't seem to worry about using the one I've just used.

trendingorange · 31/01/2019 16:09

One or two towels each (2 if you have long hair) then hung & dried in-between, washed every week/fortnight depending on how clean the showerers are when they exit the shower!

RiverTam · 31/01/2019 16:10

fair enough - I would hate it! None of our towels are the same so it would be one of us actively choosing to share rather than doing it 'by mistake' - and some of his towels are ancient and pre-date us moving in together so I'm not going anywhere near those Grin.

carrotflinger · 31/01/2019 16:15

Totally unnecessary unless you have a fungal infection or something - then it's a good idea to wash them after every use.
I did this for quite a while when I was trying to get rid of athlete's foot that wouldn't go away - had a separate towel for my feet.
Didn't help though - I eventually got rid of it with Vicks' Vaporub.

Gone4Good · 31/01/2019 16:27

Everyone has their own bath towel (different colours) and they are washed about once a week. There is also a large towel near the sink for hands and face which gets washed more often. Guests help themselves to bath towels from bathroom cabinet.

Fluffy40 · 31/01/2019 16:30

Ours get a monthly wash, hung up after every use.

formerbabe · 31/01/2019 16:33

Ours get a monthly wash

Shock

DaffydownClock · 31/01/2019 16:34

It would never cross my mind to share a towel with DH Hmmlet alone not launder one until it smells! That's truly rank.
I change hand towels every other day in the kitchen and probably twice a week in the bathroom, bath sheets get changed weekly.

pigsDOfly · 31/01/2019 16:39

banaramaspyjamas I don't know, some of the things people do, if everything you read on mn is to be believed, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them would share their bath towel with the dog.

Antkbow · 31/01/2019 16:48

I wash my bath towels after every single use!! How can it be hygienic to dry yourself ALLOVER, then rehang it ready for some other poor unsuspecting soul to come along and use the towel you just dried your butt on!!!
Eewwww I certainly wouldn’t want to dry my face on a towel someone had just dried their feet or butt on!! It’s a quick, easy process to just wash or hand wash then spin and place on a radiator or clothes airer.

WhentheDealGoesDown · 31/01/2019 16:56

Don’t towels go horrible and hard if you wash them and put over a radiator or airer, also puts damp into the house if you do it a lot, better to put in the dryer and just wash once a week or so

ShatnersBassoon · 31/01/2019 16:57

Easily solved by having your own towel rather than a communal one. Surely you trust yourself to wash your own arse sufficiently to not soil the towel.

Fresta · 31/01/2019 17:00

Haven't we discussed this a hundred times already?

You know you are unreasonable- it's a stupid question to ask!

JenniferJareau · 31/01/2019 17:01

Even in a hotel they no longer change the towels every day.

They do in every hotel I’ve ever stayed in.

The ones I've stayed in over the past few years all have a sign saying if you want towels washed leave them on the floor or in the tub, otherwise hang them up and they won't be changed.

ILuvBirdsEye · 31/01/2019 17:12

We have these radiators in the bathrooms. Keeps them dry and warm in the winter. They stay damp a bit longer in the summer - but not much. And plenty of room for everyone's towels.

Graphista · 31/01/2019 17:13

I've DX contamination OCD and even I don't!

Dd and I have our own towels though, I've always done that, we each have different colours. Dd does her own laundry now but even when I was doing it all we had our own colours, dd liked having her own colour scheme for her room that she got to choose & it hasn't even always been the same, helped by the fact my favourite colour which is my towel colour is one she hates and always has.

Radiator airers are used and are lovely for warning them up before a wash too so you've a nice warm towel when you get out.

Antkbow · 31/01/2019 17:14

I don’t care whether my arse is clean I still wouldn’t use a towel over and over.....I wouldn’t use a towel that other people have used. There are dead skin cells all over towels when they’ve been used. They are a breeding ground for bacteria!! Agree with the radiator making towels rough though 😁

SpringForEver · 31/01/2019 17:18

If the whole household share the same towel do you bath or shower daily? What about bum streaks and dribbles and all the dead skin cells, and hairs congealing on one towel and those who use it later finding it damp?
Envy not envy

Yes, I know that you are 'clean' after a bath or shower but there is still the thought that there might be reside or a dribble of something.

bibbitybobbityyhat · 31/01/2019 17:18

RTFT! most people use separate towels. It's not difficult.

bananaramaspyjamas · 31/01/2019 17:23

Haven't we discussed this a hundred times already?

I haven't but you may have

You know you are unreasonable- it's a stupid question to ask!

I disagree as I've found out what other people do and made a new plan

OP posts:
Twotabbycats · 31/01/2019 17:23

Thank you RiverTam we can be unreasonable (or not) together Grin

Missingstreetlife · 31/01/2019 17:29

My gran and grandad had seperate mug and glass to drink from, and seperate hand and bath towels. She swore they never caught a cold from each other. They had a dishwasher, and shared a bed (some do share bed with dog). People were quite germ conscious before antibiotics

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

WhentheDealGoesDown · 31/01/2019 17:29

Do people really leave bum streaks on towels, don’t they wipe their arse properly and wash properly beforehand

TheDowagerCuntess · 31/01/2019 17:38

Wow. Some threads really provide an insight into the level of hand-holding some people need in life.

MrsFrankDrebin · 31/01/2019 17:46

I love a towel thread!

Here we all have our own towels (girls have a body towel and a head towel, men just a body towel) and they get washed once a week. In between they are either hung on the radiators or clothes horse (winter) or out on the line/clothes horse (spring/summer/autumn) to dry. No need to wash towels every day at all!

As others have said, you're clean when you come out of the bath or shower, and it's not drying your body or hair that that makes them manky or smelly anyway. It's only when they can't dry properly (for that read 'when they're left mouldering on a teenager's bedroom floor!) and start to smell, and/or the damp gets trapped in them that they start to smell.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.