Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To reuse my teacup?

92 replies

RatRolyPoly · 06/11/2018 15:35

To be fair I probably take it too far at home, as I happily reuse the same mug for tea until it's almost unrecognisable! But in the office every single person uses a fresh mug for every cup of tea. We have the dishwasher going daily and we're only a small office!

I'm really thinking these days about wasted water and reducing unnecessary energy usage, but would I be a total scrubber to mention that maybe I could use the same mug each time? Could I even go so far as to suggest maybe others might like to do the same?

Is this gross?? Or just eminently sensible in this day and age?

OP posts:
RandomObject · 06/11/2018 15:37

I'd happily use mine for two days without washing it. I was taught as a child to reuse the same cup/glass and if it's getting filled with boiling hot drinks I don't see what's unhygienic about it.

UpstartCrow · 06/11/2018 15:37

How about you make your own choice for yourself, explain your reasons why if anyone asks, and let the others make up their own mind?

tiggerkid · 06/11/2018 15:38

I might be OCD but I don't reuse my cups. Each cup of tea deserves a clean cup for me. Not judging you though. Each to their own.

RedPanda2 · 06/11/2018 15:38

What??? We have our own mugs here and i certainly do not wash it or use a new one every time. What a waste of time & water! Plys i love my tea strong so like that tea stank you get GrinGrin

MrsStrowman · 06/11/2018 15:38

Reuse it but at least rinse it in between, DH ruins our mugs doing this, then I end up bleaching then which is just as bad for the enamel.

dementedpixie · 06/11/2018 15:40

I reuse mine for a day and take a fresh one the next day

WeeMadArthur · 06/11/2018 15:40

I use the same mug all day but I do give it a rinse before the next cup otherwise it doesn’t brew as well. How many mugs do you need for an office full of people all using a new one each time?

RavenLG · 06/11/2018 15:42

My dad has some grotty looking cups from tea 🤢 they’re awful. I just thought it was normal to rinse after each cup? I daren't put my cup in the work dishwasher it would go missing.

amusedbush · 06/11/2018 15:42

I use the same mug but rinse between drinks. I never, ever take the last mouthful of a hot drink (no idea why, it just gives me the boke) so I tip that out and rinse.

RatRolyPoly · 06/11/2018 15:43

I'd happily use mine for two days without washing it.

Two days would be a quick turnaround for me, but then again I have favourite mugs that I would use until you can draw in the tea stains with a spoon... so my perspective might be whack Grin

I don't want to do the old goody-two-shoes act of "I'm so ecologically considerate" when actually I might just have low standards of cleanliness Upstart, but yes, I think I might spearhead it in the office in a sort of low key way to start...

OP posts:
marvellousnightforamooncup · 06/11/2018 15:43

I usually reuse mine. I may rinse a tea cup if my next drink's coffee or I may get a fresh.

RatRolyPoly · 06/11/2018 15:44

I reuse mine for a day and take a fresh one the next day

This is my vision for the office! There are literally just a handful of us, we could run the dishwasher once a week, not once a day!

OP posts:
RatRolyPoly · 06/11/2018 15:44

How many mugs do you need for an office full of people all using a new one each time?

Lots, but they're company branded mugs so we have stacks of the things. If we run out we just run the dishwasher in the middle of the day then start all over again...

OP posts:
GreatDuckCookery6211 · 06/11/2018 15:45

DH does this and it drives me a bit potty. He will use the same cup all day. Grim. I have a new cup every time. DH says I'm a princess.

Jlynhope · 06/11/2018 15:46

Do you mean use the same cup for tea each day, or are you taking about days??

RatRolyPoly · 06/11/2018 15:47

Do you mean use the same cup for tea each day, or are you taking about days??

At home I'm unstoppably unhygienic, but at work I was thinking just the one each day.

Start 'em off slowly, not everyone can stomach being as disgusting "ecofriendly" as me Wink

OP posts:
JellyBaby666 · 06/11/2018 15:48

Same cup, just rinse inbetween! Baffled as to why someone couldn't just rinse their mug, and make a fresh cup of tea? Surely sticking the dirty one in the dishwasher and getting a new one out takes the same amount of time?!

HowlsMovingBungalow · 06/11/2018 15:49

Same cup but rinsed out. DP would drink from his cup until it grew legs and ran away - minging.

femidom12 · 06/11/2018 15:49

I drink 4-5 cups a day.
I rinse and reuse all day and then wash mug the next morning...repeat, repeat.
Using a fresh mug everytime is crazy....

AmIRightOrAMeringue · 06/11/2018 15:50

I am officially minging, I use the same one for days at a time! I drink green tea though so no milk and I fully drain it so there is nothing really in the cup to go off

lazyarse123 · 06/11/2018 15:54

We have someone at work who uses the same cup for a week and gives it to me to wash it's a disgusting and gross habit.

lazyarse123 · 06/11/2018 15:56

He doesn't rinse it between uses if that makes a difference.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

RatRolyPoly · 06/11/2018 15:58

JellyBaby666 it's probably because we do office teas in "rounds", so you'd have to remember whose mug was whose... Maybe that makes it impractical to just rinse, but I do cry a sad tear for the planet every time I hear the dishwasher rumbling on (bleeding heart that I am).

OP posts:
tiggerkid · 06/11/2018 15:59

We have someone at work who uses the same cup for a week and gives it to me to wash it's a disgusting and gross habit.

Why does s/he give it to you to wash and why have you still not told that person where to go? :)

Bluelonerose · 06/11/2018 16:00

I'll use the same cup for a few brews then if I'm washing up I'll wash it up and get a fresh one.
I always start off the day with a fresh one.
I've got a really annoying cup that has little dips in it to make the outside pattern and they're a bastard to clean Angry

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.