Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Road Rage

SoniOni · 20/10/2018 16:57

I might be being overly sensitive here as am very pregnant and ready to pop. Does anyone else not understand road rage? In a supermarket car park, pulling very slowly out of a space as cannot see due to two white vans being either side of me. I back out so, so slowly and find someone driving about 30mph who nearly crashed in to me. If they were doing the 5mph they were supposed to be they would be able to have slowed down to let me out. They then proceeded to wind their window down and shout 'stupid fucking woman driver' out of their car window.

I ignored, and drove off, shaking. I KNOW I did nothing wrong and what is funny is that I am ex military and am recently advanced driver trained. I know how to drive. I know what is safe.

How do you deal with other peoples road rage? Why do people get road rage like this? I have never understood it and can't stand when people speak to me like I am a child, or drive up my arse for actually daring to do 60 in a 60 zone.

AIBU to think that road rage is really quite dangerous? For those who suffer from it and those on the receiving end? People get upset at the tiniest of things and bar getting upset because someone has done something dangerous (I can understand this), it's just not necessary...

Sorry. Bit of a rant there but am really stressed out and annoyed the bloke got to me!

OP's posts:
Please
or

GreenLantern53 · 20/10/2018 17:00

How can you deal with if the person has driven off, I had someone shout at me and my dd to get out of the fucking road...at a zebra crossing.

Please
or

SoniOni · 20/10/2018 17:03

@GreenLantern53 that's my point. I find it so hard to let go of it and the fact that they have driven off irritates he hell out of me. It's so cowardly the way they bully from inside their car. I doubt they'd ever have the guts to say something if we didn't have a chunk of metal between us!

OP's posts:
Please
or

misstblue2 · 20/10/2018 17:13

i think some people change when they get behind the wheel of a car.
they go from being a normal rational person to an arrogent bad tempered twat.
tailgating or sounding the horn because you didn't cut someone up on an island.
i bet they don't start swearing at someone in the street cos they are in the way but behind the wheel they think the're in gta, and its not just men

Please
or

SoniOni · 20/10/2018 17:17

@misstblue2 definitely not just men you're right! Some of the road rage I've witnessed has been shocking. To the point that the actions by the angry person are actually worse than the person who they got annoyed at.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AandD1990 · 20/10/2018 17:19

My husband tells me to let it go because the road rage person will spend the rest of the day being angry & will carry it with them. If you can put it to one side you can enjoy the rest of your day :)

Please
or

PMSwithacockinmydress · 20/10/2018 17:20

But they didn't have to let you out. They should have been travelling slower but they had right of way.
Did you stop and allow them to pass, or just continue to pull out?

Please
or

misstblue2 · 20/10/2018 17:26

i gave way to a woman, she was on a side ride i was on the main road.
traffic ahead a come to a halt so i left a gap in the road to let her out.
i raised my hand slightly to gesture to her i was giving way.
she pulled up beside me stopped and glared then shook her head giving me a dirty look. no thanks nothing.
obviously i insulted her by my hand gesture and should of got out my car curtsy and waved her gently on her way.
some people just look for trouble and she had a child in the car

Please
or

SoniOni · 20/10/2018 17:27

@PMSwithacockinmydress I stopped to let them go. I had to pull out very slowly to see what was coming. Otherwise my only other option was to sit in the space until one of the vans had left. As soon as I saw them, I stopped, let them past and continued.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nicknacky · 20/10/2018 17:29

miss All she did was shake her head and look at you. Not exactly looking for trouble!

Please
or

misstblue2 · 20/10/2018 17:30

pms yes they did have right of way but they would of seen ops reverse lights on and seen she was in a blind spot. there was no need to be rude

Please
or

Sitranced · 20/10/2018 17:31

If you know how to drive why are you backing out of the space? You should be reversing in so you can see more clearly when you pull out forwards.

Please
or

misstblue2 · 20/10/2018 17:33

nicknacky she was rude, she could of said thanks, no need to give out nasty looks. i thought i was doing a good turn

Please
or

misstblue2 · 20/10/2018 17:34

and what if i had got out my car and said what's your problem. she was looking for trouble

Please
or

Nicknacky · 20/10/2018 17:36

Why would you have gotten out your car just because someone looked at you and shook her head? You are creating a situation then, not her

Please
or

Eliza9917 · 20/10/2018 17:40

If you know what is safe, why didn't you back INTO the space?

Please
or

misstblue2 · 20/10/2018 17:40

i didn't but she could of done it to someone with an aggressive nature thats my point

Please
or

SoniOni · 20/10/2018 17:44

I didn't back in to the space because I needed to load the shopping in to my boot and the spaces were minuscule so wouldn't have been able to get in to my boot if I backed in. I am more than capable of backing in to a space when necessary.

OP's posts:
Please
or

wowfudge · 20/10/2018 17:45

Oh fgs - if you back into a supermarket car park space you can't exactly put your shopping in the boot very easily. Even less so if you are pregnant.

Please
or

SoniOni · 20/10/2018 17:49

MN is weird. Someone driving 30 in a supermarket car park who nearly drove in to me as they were going to fast to see that I was coming out of a space (very slowly) then continued to shout a sexist and aggressive remark and I'm the one who should've 'backed in to the space'  I'll just accept that I was BU then.

OP's posts:
Please
or

sirmione16 · 20/10/2018 17:53

Idiots. What's worse than bad drivers to me, can only be arrogant bad drivers. Like the asshole who tailgated me at 7am (dead quiet roads in my area) waving and flapping his arms about obviously yelling obscenities. With his older child (10ish) in the front seat and baby in the back. Made my blood boil. I was actually slightly above the speed limit (by like 5mph) so wasn't because I was driving slow. Just too slow for mr soggy-weetabix begins me. As for yelling and swearing like that with young children in the car, ppfftt I hope he steps on multiple drawing pins with bare feet. Idiot.

Please
or

Nicknacky · 20/10/2018 17:53

How can’t you put shopping in the boot if you are pregnant?!

Depends entirely in the space and if there are cars and no pathway behind it but it’s not impossible.

And op, to be fair you don’t know if they were doing 30 as you didn’t see them.

Please
or

sirmione16 · 20/10/2018 17:55

TO ALL THE POSTERS SAYING ABOUT REVERSING INTO A SPACE - ACTUALLY LEARNERS ARE TAUGHT TO DO A FORWARD BAY PARK AND A REVERSE BAY PARK NOW. They're actually taught and assessed on going into a space forwards and backwards. So it's not wrong.

Please
or

Kool4katz · 20/10/2018 17:55

Who on earth backs into a supermarket car park space? If you're shopping, you're likely to need to get into the boot.
Thankfully, I rarely see road rage over here in rural Ireland compared to when I lived in the U.K. Most drivers are very relaxed.
On the contrary, you're likely to have to wait whilst 2 drivers stop for a natter on a rural country road. You see the most bizarre parking like the OAP's parking almost within a couple of feet of the supermarket doors (across the pavement) or parents dropping off kids within a foot of the entrance gates despite a huge empty church car park across the road.
And nobody bats an eyelid.

Please
or

Guavaf1sh · 20/10/2018 17:57

Driverless cars can’t come fast enough for me. The vast majority of drivers think they are above average and the car creates a quasi-internet like distance that frees drivers to be more insulting that they would usually be as they can quickly depart. Always a different tune if the insulting driver can’t easily escape and you start walking toward them

Please
or

SoniOni · 20/10/2018 17:58

@Nicknacky I made an educated guess that they were going very fast and they were definitely going no less than 25. I stopped as soon as I saw them and their braking distance wasn't exactly short.

I was squeezed between two white vans. Do you honestly think I should've carried a couple of bags at a time through the tiny space I had to navigate and put in to the boot of my car which was close too large bank? At 8.5 months pregnant?

But ok if that's how you do it just so you can go forwards out of a space then hats off.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.