My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your tips on drying washing in this awful rain!

121 replies

nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:14

I feel like i am drowning in washing! 3 kids, dh and me! We all end up changing daily. Kids are 4 months, 2.5 years and 4 years. Dh works in an environment where he needs fresh clothes everyday. And i am covered in baby sick and god knows what by the end of the day. If im lucky the 2 older ones will wear their clothes for 2 days.

Anyway. We dont have a tumble dryer. We had one but it didnt work when we moved in. And i wanted a dishwasher so that went in its place. No where else to put one! I have a clothes airerer. Its not big enough so would need another one but it takes days for clothes to dry when its crap weather so then the washing backs up! Its not cold enoigh to use the radiators. And it is effecting my chest havimg damp and wet washing around. Ive seen the heates airers. Are they any good...? Any other ideas

TIA

OP posts:
00100001 · 10/08/2017 08:03

Just lower your standards.

Only wash kids clothing when visibly dirty

Wear a top twice.

Just hang trousers up overnight to unwrinkle and air.

Let the kids wear pyjamas all day.

StillDrivingMeBonkers · 10/08/2017 08:05

Your house must be very well ventilated then StillDrivingMeBonkers. If you don't have a window open or good ventilation the water off the washing will condense somewhere and create damp

Windows and doors are always wide open, aren't everyones?

Mamia15 · 10/08/2017 08:06

Use a pulley maid thingy to hang washing up - it all dries within a day.

Hardly ever use my tumble dryer.

On dry days, hang everything outside - even if its not sunny, the wind will help.

nomorebabiesyet · 10/08/2017 08:07

Thanks everyone! Cant change tk a washer dryer. The landlord owns the washing machine. Its ancient but he wont change it or let ua put this one in storage and get our own! And its under a work top so no tumble dryer on top. We were going to replace his tumble dryer but then he saw about the tumble dryers catching fire on the news and then said we werent allowed one. Cant move before anyone suggests as theres nothing else in this village and 4 year old about to start school and 2.5 year old nursery.

OP posts:
nomorebabiesyet · 10/08/2017 08:07

Will look at all your links

OP posts:
Mamia15 · 10/08/2017 08:07

And try to wear things twice or three times before washing - a damp cloth helps remove dirt marks.

nomorebabiesyet · 10/08/2017 08:11

Ofcourse if its clean we do. But like i said with a sicky baby not possible for me and her. And dh sweats and needs clean shirts

OP posts:
onemorecakeplease · 10/08/2017 08:47

I have two airers upstairs in the spare room and keep the window open.
I also have a huge washing line which I put things out on - if it gets wet again I leave it overnight when it's been drier and it's ok by morning.
A line is better than a rotary thing as the wind gets all of the washing at once so it's much faster.
On a windy day it's dry in two hours (in between showers)
What's going on with this awful weather??!!

BendydickCuminsnatch · 10/08/2017 08:49

Dehumidifier next to airer - sucks the moisture right out.

MrsPnut · 10/08/2017 08:57

I definitely agree about a pulley airer, I know people that have put them on the landing.
We don't use the tumble dryer except for towels and bedding in the winter because you can get two loads a day dried on the racks.

Kittymum03 · 10/08/2017 09:05

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissHemsworth · 10/08/2017 09:10

I've never had a tumble dryer but my lovely lovely MIL bought me one last year. Life changer. Our kitchen is tiny so we keep it in the garage. Like a PP has said, the amount of water that comes out of the condenser is quite a bit so no wonder your poor chest is suffering. Is there anywhere at all you could put one? It also makes putting washing away etc so much quicker & easier as it all comes out lovely & soft & uncreased.

nomorebabiesyet · 10/08/2017 09:46

I will speak to him again but he is a bit funny. He loves this house, understandably. But we are his first tenants with him. We have an estate agent but he contacts me directly.Hmm

OP posts:
loveliesbleeding1 · 10/08/2017 09:56

Hopefully it's a better day for drying outside for you today nomorebabiesyet it certainly is here.(S/E).Two lines of washing out already.

nomorebabiesyet · 10/08/2017 10:06

Yes i have just popped it outside now.

OP posts:
Wormulonian · 10/08/2017 10:07

As others have said get a dehumidifier. You can also use it to keep the condensation (damp and mould) down in the Autumn and Winter in your flat/house. Also get a few airers and space the clothes out (put 1 load of washing over 2 or 3 airers) they will dry quickly that way, even though it is annoying having them take up space.

If you have an electric fan you can also use that to speed up drying.

ginghamstarfish · 10/08/2017 11:20

OP if you have room for one of those heated airers then you have room for a drier! Condenser one of course, can go anywhere, also warms up the room it's in which is good in winter. I resisted having one for many years but am now a convert. Don't use it constantly, but in cold and damp weather it really is necessary.

Kittymum03 · 10/08/2017 13:53

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SciFiFan2015 · 10/08/2017 21:27

The long post I wrote has disappeared so here's the short version.
Idea: https://www.weedfabricdirect.co.uk/culti-cave-laundry-dome-home-garden-holiday-camping-washing-line-dryer-airer.html

There's loads just search laundry done or tent

But too expensive!

Cheaper way of achieving same? Tiny greenhouse things what about this?

https://www.outdoorvalue.co.uk/products/99979-woodside-tomato-greenhouse.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlKKpk8DN1QIVJLHtCh2sUwZuEAQYAyABEgImPDD_BwE

This way you get two benefits. Keep rain off and heat of greenhouse will help dry! Might be a solution???

EB123 · 10/08/2017 22:14

I feel your pain on this. Husband in a job where he gets mucky, 6 and 4 year old boys who love dirt, paint, chalk etc, 1 year old who loves to wear his meals and me who gets snot, food etc smeared on me. No tumble drier.

Last winter we started taking bags of wet washing to the laundrette to be tumble dried. They even fold it and pair the socks and it is so cheap. Well worth it!

Ceto · 19/08/2017 10:52

Does anyone have experience of the smaller versions of those heated airers? e.g something like this - <a class="break-all" href="//www.amazon.co.uk/Status-Portable-Heated-Clothes-Silver/dp/B01CUDHFZC/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1503136254&sr=1-5&keywords=heated%20clothes%20airer&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21" rel="nofollow noindex" target="_blank">//www.amazon.co.uk/Status-Portable-Heated-Clothes-Silver/dp/B01CUDHFZC/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1503136254&sr=1-5&keywords=heated%20clothes%20airer&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

I think the Lakeland ones may take up too much space. How are they when folded away?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.