My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your tips on drying washing in this awful rain!

121 replies

nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:14

I feel like i am drowning in washing! 3 kids, dh and me! We all end up changing daily. Kids are 4 months, 2.5 years and 4 years. Dh works in an environment where he needs fresh clothes everyday. And i am covered in baby sick and god knows what by the end of the day. If im lucky the 2 older ones will wear their clothes for 2 days.

Anyway. We dont have a tumble dryer. We had one but it didnt work when we moved in. And i wanted a dishwasher so that went in its place. No where else to put one! I have a clothes airerer. Its not big enough so would need another one but it takes days for clothes to dry when its crap weather so then the washing backs up! Its not cold enoigh to use the radiators. And it is effecting my chest havimg damp and wet washing around. Ive seen the heates airers. Are they any good...? Any other ideas

TIA

OP posts:
theEagleIsLost · 09/08/2017 23:21

I have same as Birdsgottaf1y <a class="break-all" href="//www.amazon.co.uk/DriBUDDi-Portable-Electric-Clothes-Energy-Efficient/dp/B007RDEPHM?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21" rel="nofollow noindex" target="_blank">//www.amazon.co.uk/DriBUDDi-Portable-Electric-Clothes-Energy-Efficient/dp/B007RDEPHM?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21 though I think we got it from argos as well.

Though I also have a drier and many clothes horses and a dehumidifer.

Keep looking at the ceiling rack one but can't fit accordng to DH and FIL.

There are times we still struggle with wet washing and there there are only five of us.

elliejjtiny · 09/08/2017 23:25

I feel your pain OP. I've got 5 DC and no tumble dryer and it's a total nightmare. I've got 2 heated airers and they are brilliant but we can only have them out at night because my 3 year old climbs them.

elliejjtiny · 09/08/2017 23:29

Wow, that dribuddi thing looks brilliant, does it take up much space?

theEagleIsLost · 09/08/2017 23:34

A bit - but it's not to bad. Better than the clothes horses I have.

It comes apart so when we have people stopping we can take it down - two bits top fold up like umbrella- and put it away. It's usually up and stood in front of window or open door most of winter in our house.

varvara · 09/08/2017 23:40

Yy to the posters who suggested a pulley. It was a lifesaver when we lived in a flat, and clothes easily dried overnight. You do need a reasonably high ceiling though.

gttia · 09/08/2017 23:42

Five of us here, I hang washing out at night with a dehumidifier on and its nearly always dry in the morning. Towels and jeans maybe a bit longer.

AllToadsLeadToHome · 10/08/2017 00:28

I would like to know how anyone can get a whole load of stuff dry on a Lakeland airer in one day as was mentioned previously. I can't get a set of kingsize bedding and much else dry in a day never mind several loads.

Also if you hang things on the rails it doesn't dry, you need to lay it all flat which reduces the amount you can put on it.

Have recently had a condenser dryer dumped on me and I am not impressed by it so far. Washing doesn't smell fresh and it feels claggy.

icelolly99 · 10/08/2017 00:40

AllToadsLeadToHome you might need to take the condenser out and give it a good clean.

KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth · 10/08/2017 00:50

I have a large family so couldn't be without my dryer however I also have two airers and a dry buddy www.robertdyas.co.uk/dribuddi-electric-clothes-dryer-by-jml?istCompanyId=bf3344d9-83f5-4abd-b69a-da131f7567d1&istItemId=pttatxaia&istBid=tztx&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm6uzwqvL1QIVRrXtCh0NJAdPEAQYBCABEgJlqvD_BwE which is currently down to under £50 and a real bargain IMO. I love mine.

KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth · 10/08/2017 00:53

Hasten to add not my affiliate code on that link above but from the google ad.

CherryChasingDotMuncher · 10/08/2017 00:55

This is why I'd never be without a tumble dryer. I rarely put washing out on the line.

I'd rather get rid of my oven than my tumble dryer

ImpossibleGirl · 10/08/2017 01:00

Can you get a dehumidifier? We picked one up on amazon Black Friday and wouldn't be without it now. Dries 2 full racks of washing in about a day if you make sure you empty it regularly enough not to get full and turn off... Not too expensive to run either.

Shadow666 · 10/08/2017 01:15

When I get really backed up, I just take it to the launderette and use the big dryers there. It's not such a problem in winter as I have the heating on so it dries quicker. A lot of launderettes are 24 hour or close to it, so ask your OH to take it when he gets in, just so you can get caught up until payday.

LoniceraJaponica · 10/08/2017 06:28

"A lot of launderettes are 24 hour"

Maybe they are where you live. The nearest one to me now has one machine, yes just one, and is open for just a few hours a day. The got rid of all the other machines. I don't know why because they were always busy.

Perhaps there are more launderettes in student areas and where the housing has lots of bedsits and studio flats.

Winterview · 10/08/2017 06:40

Dehumidifier running in the room you dry washing, door closed. Mine dries overnight like this and it also takes the dampness out of the air

newmumwithquestions · 10/08/2017 06:45

Another vote for dehumidifier. My mind boggles with how much water the thing removes.

Brittbugs80 · 10/08/2017 06:47

Can you get to a Launderette at all?

Pre tumble dryer I only did one washing load a day or until the first lot had dried and dried in an airer in the kitchen. If they have plenty of clothes don't do lots of loads at once.

Put airer in front of radiator that's on too.

HipsterHunter · 10/08/2017 07:05

Can ou buy a condensor tumble dryer and put it somewhere, anywhere? Your bedroom??

HipsterHunter · 10/08/2017 07:08

Also obviously make sure you washing is being spun on the maximum spin to get as much water out as possible.

bushtailadventures · 10/08/2017 07:15

Might sound silly, but do you have anywhere you could fix a pull-out washing line? we had one for years, over the radiator in the dining room, didn't look pretty, but I could dry 3 or 4 loads of washing on it in a day if the heating had been on a couple of hours. We only got a tumble dryer a couple of years ago, after all the dc grew up Smile

Something like this: www.argos.co.uk/product/8505600

hibbledobble · 10/08/2017 07:17

Get rid of the washing machine and replace with a washer dryer. It's a life saver.

IdaDown · 10/08/2017 07:25

Another one here recommending a spin dryer.

You could spin then put clothes in a DriBuddy or similar. Washing would dry very quickly.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Fluffycloudland77 · 10/08/2017 07:39

I knew I wouldn't be the only one with a spin dryer!.

Fab little things. I'll still use it when I buy a dryer.

SheGotOffThePlane · 10/08/2017 07:53

The Lake land airers are cheaper and on easy payments from QVC, OP.

This is a link to the newer version that you looked at above, however they also sell the previous one that I have (and love)

www.qvcuk.com/Lakeland-Dry-Soon-Deluxe-Three-Tier-Airer-Package.product.806198.html

junglebookisthebest · 10/08/2017 07:56

We have a gazebo up in the garden for some shade in the summer. If it's just a showery day with some breeze then I string up some lines under it. Heavy rain and wind then no good but gets a lot dry on the other days - particularly stuff like towels

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.