My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your tips on drying washing in this awful rain!

121 replies

nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:14

I feel like i am drowning in washing! 3 kids, dh and me! We all end up changing daily. Kids are 4 months, 2.5 years and 4 years. Dh works in an environment where he needs fresh clothes everyday. And i am covered in baby sick and god knows what by the end of the day. If im lucky the 2 older ones will wear their clothes for 2 days.

Anyway. We dont have a tumble dryer. We had one but it didnt work when we moved in. And i wanted a dishwasher so that went in its place. No where else to put one! I have a clothes airerer. Its not big enough so would need another one but it takes days for clothes to dry when its crap weather so then the washing backs up! Its not cold enoigh to use the radiators. And it is effecting my chest havimg damp and wet washing around. Ive seen the heates airers. Are they any good...? Any other ideas

TIA

OP posts:
StillDrivingMeBonkers · 09/08/2017 21:34

There are 5 of us. I do a load every night. I hang it on the airer (in this weather) at roughly 8pm. Its dry by 6am. I do not have the heating on, neither is my house wringing with damp necessitating a dehumidifier. Sometimes I think I live on a parallel planet, let alone the same country.

chocolatespiders · 09/08/2017 21:34

Tomorrow looks like a better day for drying washing.

YellowLawn · 09/08/2017 21:36

I have a heated airer.
andwhen I really really need stuff to dry quickly I put the heated airer into our smallest room with the dehumidifier.

User0ne · 09/08/2017 21:37

we use one of these

www.castinstyle.co.uk/product.php/3415/7-lath-victorian-kitchen-maid-reg-pulley-clothes-airer

everything is dry in 24 hours so a washload a day is fine, just keep the room reasonably well ventilated (ie windows on ventilate) and it's great even in winter. We have quite a cold house too; rarely above 18C

nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:38

I am clearly doing something wrong then! I try to put a load on every day but if the others isnt dry yet then i cant put it out. Im forever dragging it in and out of the house between rain showers. Its such a narrow door i end uo knocking most off and replacing them again. Kids think its good for hide and seek Hmm dh travels a lot so i temd to get a suit case of cmothes at a time also. Plus i work from home for the family business so im super busy. Cant wait for holidays to be over. Ds 4 starting reception and ds 2.5 starting nursery! So at least it will be less chaotic in the day

OP posts:
nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:42
OP posts:
Goldmandra · 09/08/2017 21:44

If I want washing to dry more quickly on the airer, I point a fan at it. It definitely reduces the drying time dramatically.

I think it's probably cheaper than putting the heating on.

Birdsgottaf1y · 09/08/2017 21:44

I use a Drybuddy, got it from Argos.

It costs about 4p an hour and takes between 30 mins to an hour and a half depending on what you are drying.

I throw sheets over the top, under the cover and put towels on hangers. There are YouTube clips on them.

To ask for your tips on drying washing in this awful rain!
nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:45

Thats a good idea gold. Thank you

OP posts:
nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:45

Thanks birds

OP posts:
Birdsgottaf1y · 09/08/2017 21:46

There's also an updated version.

dudsville · 09/08/2017 21:46

Could you nip to a laundromat to use the big driers? I'm fortunate in that I have two airing cupboards so I can do a wash leave it in the clothes horses in the day, put it in the cupboard at night and is warm and dry by morning.

Magpie24 · 09/08/2017 21:46

Get a dehumidifier. I love mine, and as my house is a bit damp it helps with that as well when not drying the washing.

GinnyWreckin · 09/08/2017 21:47

Bring all the clothes to the laundrette until the weather's better.
Install a dryer on top of your washing machine.

And your DH should do his own ironing.

LoniceraJaponica · 09/08/2017 21:47

" I do not have the heating on, neither is my house wringing with damp necessitating a dehumidifier. Sometimes I think I live on a parallel planet, let alone the same country."

Your house must be very well ventilated then StillDrivingMeBonkers. If you don't have a window open or good ventilation the water off the washing will condense somewhere and create damp. I can tell from my condenser dryer how much water is in my washing.

BahHumbygge · 09/08/2017 21:48

When I stayed at a campsite, they had a drying shack... had roof and slatted sides so it kept the rain off but the winds would dry the washing fast. Build something like that in the garden, or covered washing carosel?

nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:50

I like that idea bah.

Im gettimg a car soon so could go to a laundrette but not yet.

Dh works rediculous hours and doesnt have time to iron. Otherwise he would. We run 2 family businesses so things fit around that.

OP posts:
sahknowme · 09/08/2017 21:50

We have had this problem before. We had a dessicant dehumidifier which heated the air while drying the air. We also had a heated clothes horse and a normal clothes horse. We used to put the clothes to dry in the smallest room we had, with the dehumidifier on maximum, and things would tend to dry overnight - next afternoon at worst.

Now we also have a lovely Bosch washer dryer. The drying function does takes ages to get things dry, so we tend to dry things for about an hour on low heat, then when we hang them they finish drying super quickly.

Twotothreeagain · 09/08/2017 21:52

Dehumidifier here too, the house isn't wringing with damp but the dehumidifier definitely dries the clothes more quickly. It's amazing how quickly the tank fills up. We hardly ever use the dryer since we've got it and it's normally too warm here to have the radiators on in summer.

nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:52

Thanks for all the ideas guys! Will be making an investment on pay day!

Love mn!

OP posts:
troodiedoo · 09/08/2017 21:52

Another vote for a dehumidifier, they are well worth the money.

I have a heated airer, don't think it's all that. You need to space clothes well apart so you can only do about a third of a wash load at a time.

MotherOfBeagles · 09/08/2017 21:55

Another vote for the Lakeland airer. I've managed to dry a full king size set of bedding and three loads of washing today on mine. I love love love it!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

bexibean · 09/08/2017 21:55

Definitely dehumidifier- we got a Meaco one and it's amazing, a full load dries in half a day. (But then we moved house, now have space for a tumble dryer and it's heavenly!)

LoniceraJaponica · 09/08/2017 21:55

I had a heated airer and it made my clothes so crispy I had to iron them to soften them. I gave it to a friend.

Birdsgottaf1y · 09/08/2017 21:57

It folds up easily and can be kept on top of a wardrobe.

I haven't been well and have been able to lift it etc.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.