My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your tips on drying washing in this awful rain!

121 replies

nomorebabiesyet · 09/08/2017 21:14

I feel like i am drowning in washing! 3 kids, dh and me! We all end up changing daily. Kids are 4 months, 2.5 years and 4 years. Dh works in an environment where he needs fresh clothes everyday. And i am covered in baby sick and god knows what by the end of the day. If im lucky the 2 older ones will wear their clothes for 2 days.

Anyway. We dont have a tumble dryer. We had one but it didnt work when we moved in. And i wanted a dishwasher so that went in its place. No where else to put one! I have a clothes airerer. Its not big enough so would need another one but it takes days for clothes to dry when its crap weather so then the washing backs up! Its not cold enoigh to use the radiators. And it is effecting my chest havimg damp and wet washing around. Ive seen the heates airers. Are they any good...? Any other ideas

TIA

OP posts:
Raver84 · 09/08/2017 22:00

I had children same age as you and now have a 4th. Our tumble dryer broke recently and I waited a month for repair. Bag up your clothes and wash and dry in a laundrette ob ine morni g when you can get to a laundrette. The reason I wash and dry is that a laundrette machine will wash about 2 loads in one machine in 30 mins. So for a weeks load of washing I would do 6 loads (three machines) in 30 mins. Then I'd tumble those 3 loads in 30 -45 mins. I didn't even wash clothes at home as hated the damp of clothes hanging around. I did all my weeks washing in two hours it was bliss.

Failing that put the airer in the bath. Get a portable heater near the bathroom door facing the bath then open the bathroom window wide even if it's raining. The heat will help dry the clothes but the open window will atop them smelling of damp.

Raver84 · 09/08/2017 22:02

Obvs keep the heater away front the clothes just face it toward them so not a risk.

Fluffycloudland77 · 09/08/2017 22:05

I use a spin dryer, you can get them off eBay second hand.

Alittlepotofrosie · 09/08/2017 22:06

Is your washing machine under a worktop? If not you can get a thing for about £50 which lets you stack a tumble on top of it. I wouldn't be without mine.

chocolatespiders · 09/08/2017 22:07

Have you got room for a 3kg tumble dryer? White knight do one. Vented works better than condenser apparently. I never put washibg in straight from machinew but use it to finish off washig on line or indoor airer. But a few tennis balls in tumble drier helps speed drying.

10greenapples · 09/08/2017 22:10

I use a clothes airer and it can take 2-3 days to dry! Not sure how some peoples are dry over night.

Petalflowers · 09/08/2017 22:10

We have a tumble drier in the garage. It's useful for sheets etc. However, we seem to,have an awful,lot of non tumble-drier clothes. We have a dehumidifier which is a great asset. However, slightly embaressed to admit that I put the heating on for an house to finish the drying off. Most of it was almost dry when it rained earlier today.

Bunnyjo · 09/08/2017 22:11

I have the deluxe heated airer from Lakeland; it's a Godsend and really worth the money.

I do second the advice about making sure that where you dry the clothes is well-ventilated or dehumidified, as that will make a huge difference to how quickly the clothes dry.

Cakesprinkles · 09/08/2017 22:12

We have a washer/dryer but the dryer is sooooo slow so we only use it for underwear and emergency school uniform. I hang dresses and dh's shirts on coat hangers on the curtain rails in the bedrooms and have the window wide open and stick a fan on. They dry overnight. Towels and sheets get hung over doors/the banisters overnight and put away in the morning. We also have a heated aired which works well.

Rinkydinkypink · 09/08/2017 22:17

Do you have a hot cupboard? I hang stuff in the hot water tank cupboard and it dries over night.

I have an airer and put things on hangers. I also open the windows slightly to get the air moving. Heating has been on for a short time. I do many loads of washing on dry days. Dehumidifiers are good.

Hang bedding and towels on clip hangers in doorways. Dry as much stuff on hangers as you can.

juicemum · 09/08/2017 22:27

I have a dri buddi and it's a life saver. I haven't used my tumble in ages. Can get them in Argos but cheaper on eBay

EmNetta · 09/08/2017 22:33

It's worthwhile doing a second (15 min) spin on the washing machine, but my last four houses have had a big airing-cupboard-type place which also houses the boiler, so rarely a problem. Our first house had a large garage. boiler at one end with clothes-line/hanging space around it, really useful. Friend's husband built a kind of veranda on part of patio, top covering meant clothing never got wet drying outside (envious).

In this cool, rainy country, it's about time builders gave some thought / space to clothes drying in our homes.

bambambini · 09/08/2017 22:34

A decent dehumidifier. I hang the washing on an airer in our utility room with the dehumidifier. Often dry by morning.

amicissimma · 09/08/2017 22:35

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icelolly99 · 09/08/2017 22:35

Personally I'd choose a dryer over a dishwasher any day. If you don't have room for both in the kitchen area, could you put a condenser dryer in another room. In the meantime seek out local launderette that allows Dry Only. Good luck Op ☺

amicissimma · 09/08/2017 22:37

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

selly24 · 09/08/2017 22:38

Or do you have space for a cheap but effective tumble dryer rg the Beko one from John Lewis? Under £200.
We have a dryer in our bedroom just needs a power point

NikiBabe · 09/08/2017 22:39

Just stick the heating for an hour or two.

It will dry out the air too and help your breathing.

GloveBug · 09/08/2017 22:42

We have a drybuddy. you can get them for about £50. it can cause a bit of condensation though so we use ours in the garage.

nokidshere · 09/08/2017 22:48

I'd give up my dishwasher for a dryer too!

I've had many, both vented and condense and the condenser ones are so much more efficient imo they can also be used anywhere in the house.

Mayvis · 09/08/2017 22:51

We have the Lakeland airer. On our second one, first one lasted a few years but I couldn't survive without it. Bought it cheap off the Lakeland eBay outlet, half the price of in store ones. Was reconditioned but came with a warranty.

noeffingidea · 09/08/2017 22:55

I have these hooks that hang over wardrobe doors then I hang the clothes on hangers and put them on the hooks. Little things like socks and pants go on the airer.
To speed things up I put a little portable fan heater in front of the washing.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

crypticbow08 · 09/08/2017 22:56

I only have an airer and too I am drowning in washing! If I'm in I will put the airer outside when it's not raining. I also find hanging clothes from the shower rail in bathroom works well for drying clothes, door shut window open.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower · 09/08/2017 23:05

Surely putting the heating on is the easier option?

Coastalcommand · 09/08/2017 23:14

Dehumidifiers are good, and an old fashioned ceiling rack. We bought ours from pulleymaid.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.