My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To want to tell others to do their research before judging!

391 replies

Mumzzy88 · 31/07/2017 10:51

I get stopped every day by other dog walkers.i get rude comments about my parenting because of my choice. I get shocked faces and utter disbelief when asked do I have a pet!
I have a pit bull!
He was not my choice of breed and I didn't even want a bloody dog!
But.... a family member was treating him very badly he was under weight riddled in fleas being hit and attacked by other dogs in the house being given just left over food from whatever takeaway they had that night I observed this for a few months until I was invited to a barbecue five years ago in 30degree heatwave I could hear this dog crying in a room upstairs. I went up to see the dog who was in a boiling room with NO water!
I lost it! And took the dog home that moment to mine !
Iv now had him 6 years he's now a confident gorgeous family pet and we all adore him and he's amazing with my children he sleeps with my 10 year old every night as he hates being alone (naughty I know) and even lives peacefully with two cats!
He's not got a aggressive bone in his stocky body Smile
But nearly every day people stop me and demand I put THAT dog on a lead ( in a huge field) or how could you own such a monster!. Or omg how could you allow such a dog around your children!
I'm so sick of this it makes me so upset Because he's so lovely he's and been given a second chance to be a happy pouch.
I feel like I have to explain his story constantly AIBU to think that people should just mind their own bloody business or do some research on the breed!

OP posts:
StarHeartDiamond · 31/07/2017 14:58

And I happen to love GSD as a breed but if I ever get one (highly likely in the future) I will know that other people won't know my dog is gentle and well trained, on sight. It comes with the territory. I wouldn't be raging about it, it is what it is.

Mumzzy88 · 31/07/2017 14:58

I don't allow him to run around freely when out he will be leashed

OP posts:
Mumzzy88 · 31/07/2017 14:59

Thanks for all replies guys :) all taken on board

OP posts:
missmoz · 31/07/2017 15:00

You are not being unreasonable.
People should mind their own business!

And what if their business is that they or their children are afraid of dogs? Particularly dogs that have very powerful jaws...

Fed up of the default "fuck off and mind your own business" response to anyone who criticises any kind of behaviour. We have to negotiate how to act in public space together. It's not a personal attack on you or your dog.

whereismyparachute · 31/07/2017 15:03

Mumzzy88 you have been very polite in response to some very rude posters Flowers

Mumzzy88 · 31/07/2017 15:08

Thank you I don't get the aggressive comments and the swearing I tend not to reply to small minded posts especially if there is offensive language used out of context. I'm a nice person I can take all opinions it's good to hear from others the truth of how they feel when seeing my kind of dog and also nice to not be alone with the issue

OP posts:
HooplaLoopla1 · 31/07/2017 15:12

Try putting the boot on the other foot. If your children were in the field with your dog and you, then someone else's dog came along, unleashed and unmuzzled and attacked one of your children, how would you feel? You'd be cool with that would you? Especially if the owner came over and said 'oh sorry, they're a big softy, they've never done that before, people just don't understand the breed...'

HooplaLoopla1 · 31/07/2017 15:13

Just to say, I do know about dogs and certainly don't hate them. You're making huge assumptions of other people which is what you have a problem with other people doing regarding your dog you and you, as his owner.

Hygge · 31/07/2017 15:13

Was your relative not prosecuted?

They should be banned from ever having another animal ever again.

Mumzzy88 · 31/07/2017 15:15

Hoopla you have missed everything I have said clearly
Of course that's not ok don't be silly it might benefit to read all the posts
Iv been attacked when I was 14 it's not nice but I don't put myself in that position I leash when around others and other dogs and muzzle you need to know your dog if you feel your dog is a threat then you shouldn't be letting it roam freely

OP posts:
Mumzzy88 · 31/07/2017 15:18

Had my boy six years and have not seen any aggressive behaviour from him but I still have respect that not everyone knows this so that's why I do what I do I have never allowed him to chase or run after any one or a dog he's not the type tbh he's more of a pacer and prefers to stay close by he also has his own fears of smaller dogs After having his ear ripped almost off

OP posts:
Trustmeimadoggroomer17 · 31/07/2017 15:19

I've been working with dogs since I was fifteen hand on my heart pit bulls and the loveliest most sweetest dogs I have ever met. I want one when we get our next dog, honestly people are so ignorent. At work pitbulls are one of the breeds that have never actually tried to bite me while a chinaware tried to savage me at one time. People judge what the media tells them is true, I love Pitbulls and owners deserve a medal for putting up with absaloutly uneducated idiots.

HooplaLoopla1 · 31/07/2017 15:20

Oh I have read clearly. My point is, you're complaining that other people judge you/your dog because they're not educated. They may be, they may just have experienced something with your dogs breed or another. Ultimately though, EVERY time a child is attacked by a dog, the owner claims the dog was never a danger before that incident, the dog had never shown any other signs...etc. So now I'm asking you, what would YOUR reaction be if one of those owners dogs attacked one of your children?

Mumzzy88 · 31/07/2017 15:24

Ild be furious of course lol
Wouldn't you ? Wouldn't any patent
I would hope so lol! And it's not just my breed that bites lol all dogs are capable or do you not believe that ?

OP posts:
Mumzzy88 · 31/07/2017 15:25

And I have said on soooooo many posts that I understand people's fears many many many times and I'm repeating myself ALOT now

OP posts:
BouncyHedgehog · 31/07/2017 15:26

hysterical dog haters really? Most of the people on here don't come across as hating dogs- in fact, a lot have expressed concern FOR the dog as it would pay the ultimate price if OP didn't follow the law and it was reported (which, to be fair, the OP seems to have taken on board as she obviously loves her dog).

Personally I don't hate dogs - I can be wary of strange ones because lacking amazing psychic skills I have no idea what it's behaviour is like or how it has been raised and trained.

I DO have a hatred of dog owners who think their special snowflake pup is exempt from all rules which govern all other dogs, who lack basic consideration for others, and think that because they love their dogs, everyone else should. I've always wondered if there's a crossover with those parents who let their kids barge into everyone at soft play and do the tinkly laugh 'oh well, kids will be kids, he's a sweetie really' whilst said child is beating another over the head with their own toy car.

HooplaLoopla1 · 31/07/2017 15:32

I've seen many different breeds of dogs attack adults, children and other dogs. FWIW I think ALL owners should be held a lot more accountable for their dogs irrespective of the dogs breed. I don't think a lot of dog owners realise that a lot of children become frightened of dogs (which lasts into adulthood in many cases) because they don't control their dog around people and other dogs. It's not always just about being bitten. I, and a lot of parents I know, teach our children to only pet a dog when they've asked permission so the owner can give their consent. At the same time, I see a LOT of dogs just bound up to people, jumping up, scratching and mauling and if anyone turns away or says anything, it's laughed off with 'oh don't worry, they'll not hurt you!' like that makes it ok, but also not realising THAT could be what sows the seed of doubt in a lot of peoples minds.

Also, if you show the same level of defensiveness in public as you have on this thread, it might explain why you're getting so many comments and so much judgement in public. Not all of it might be towards your dog, maybe some of it is towards you too.

JenTheSprtacusPuppy · 31/07/2017 15:36

Its not dog hating to expect other people to control their dogs and follow the law. But people are not obliged to love or even like dogs either. I can see both sides here to be honest.

I was attcked by a Rottweiler when I was 18, was part of college training to be nursery nurse and I was supposed to be nannying for this family. They had Rottweiler who they wanted me to "get to know" before starting my actual placement so I went to visit one day, Dog came in room snarling and acting pretty aggressive, told the Mum I wasn't comfortable and to please keep dog back, at which point she told me he's just wanting to play and unleashed it, fucking thing jumped and latched straight onto my face. This was a dog described as a big softie, a family member, a docile giant etc. It really affected me and impacted on my life. Little things like going to the shop started taking half an hour instead of five mins as I'd plan routes that didn't involve walking past dog walkers, most s don't let dogs go jumping and harassing strangers, but enough did and then get angry with me for asking them to retrieve their dog, I'd explain what happened and why I'm nervous but they'd tell me I "have to learn".

I'm much better now, it took a long time but I'm comfortable around most dogs, still don't like random owners letting their dogs jump at me and tell me they are just playing and are soft, I used to get awful flashbacks when I'd hear that, it was always said in a dismissive way. It's daft to suggest that all dogs shouldn't be off leash at all, but can totally see why some feel that way as there's an alarming amount of owners who think letting their dogs jump up at strangers is cute and ok and people who don't like it are miserable dog haters. I also feel that some dog owners take someone not wanting their pet all over them as a personal insult to themselves, which is daft.

I know that not all dogs can bite, I know that not all dogs of a certain breed will be aggressive, I have a few friends with dangerous type breeds, but I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't more mindful of certain breeds. A good friend had a staffy, she's a love,y woman and a great friend but not a great dog owner, I ended up refusing to be around the dog as she had zero control of it and it would snarl and growl, it hated being off leash so she didn't use one, had no recall at all. and she would then get upset when people push her dog down, call it a name or tell her it needs muzzling when it's trying to chew their legs, she fed it chocolate and junk because she'd feel bad at leaving it out when her and dc were eating chocolate, she ended up killing the dog doing that. She knew chocolate was bad for dogs, but said it looked "jealous" of them eating it..

I know a lad with a pit pull cross, he looks like the "stereotypical" type who buy these dogs, but he's actually got one of the most well behaved dogs I've ever know, would I want it off leash around me? Probably not, but isnt an issue, if I were in his house dog would be in playpen, he never takes it anywhere without a leash and muzzle, he'd never forgive himself if something happened and dog was punished for him being irresponsible.

I know you said you can see for miles but you just can't see everything, it's not just people and other dogs you need to see, it's other animals like rabbits etc, also, dogs senses are better than ours and your dog could be after something long before it's come into your view. A training line and muzzle are good ideas and I'm please you're going with that. I know you love your dog, but it's best not to do anything that could have someone reporting you and putting dog at risk.

SafeToCross · 31/07/2017 15:44

Love dogs, but sick of other people's dogs coming up to us when we are eating picnics - sometimes 5 different dogs in a row - and each owner ineffectually shouting them away and saying, oh he's friendly. I don't care, I don't want his nose in my sandwich. I think all dogs should be long leashed in public places really.

Once I was running along a quiet stretch of river, a dog owner was walking ahead of me with headphones on. Her doberman sized dog ran back to me, planted his paws on my shoulders and licked my face. Luckily I am not scared of dogs, but jeez. The owner was oblivious and never knew it happened. You dog looks lovely OP, and sorry you feel so upset for him, its good he has you.

whereismyparachute · 31/07/2017 16:00

Hide the thread now op, you are going to get every person and their anecdote for the next ten pages.

angieloumc · 31/07/2017 16:01

I just find it difficult to believe that you've had your dog for six years and have only just become aware if extendable leads.
Very irresponsible to let him off lead and also against the law, the poor dog would suffer if you were reported.

whereismyparachute · 31/07/2017 16:06

Extendable leads should be banned in my opinion.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

HarveySchlumpfenburger · 31/07/2017 16:07

And I happen to love GSD as a breed but if I ever get one (highly likely in the future) I will know that other people won't know my dog is gentle and well trained, on sight

And as a responsible dog owner you will know that however well trained and gentle they may be you can't really guarantee they will always be 100% safe. I love GSDs. We've had 3 and they are amazing dogs. But they are big dogs with the potential to do a lot of damage and it could only take one slip.

The OP comes across as sounding ridiculously naive. And as SoupDragon says her posts are somewhat inconsistent.

OstentatiousWanking · 31/07/2017 16:09

I've looked after two pit bulls. They were both the most beautiful gentle loving dogs I've ever known.
I fell completely in love with them both and miss their company even 20 years later.

Mumzzy88 · 31/07/2017 16:11

Hiding post Now got some good advice so thank you soooo much!
We will continue on our journey together I feel lucky to have him and glad I took him! I have no regrets:) I knew he was a soft soul :) lead will be here tomorrow so looking forward to him having more space without being a hawk checking for others who may be upset by his presence. I sure he will get this stigma for the remaining years of his life it's sad but true but i might try to talk to people rather than lower my self to their levels so they can hear his story maybe I can open a few minds god bless everyone and take care thank you for all opinions on this subject

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.