Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Who is right - the generation gap

110 replies

TwoGhostsGoToWar · 26/07/2017 20:57

A teenage girl lives with her grandmother (through choice) and sits on the floor in front of a full length mirror to do her make up. The mirror is at the top of the second set of stairs outside her loft conversion bedroom. She uses this mirror as it has natural light from behind. The grandmother moaned about makeup laying around. The teenagers mother suggests an old towel is put in front of the mirror so loose powder doesn't touch the carpet and to prevent makeup stains if make up leaks and so no blusher, mascara or lipstain containers tough the carpet. The mother gets and old towel and places it down where needed. The grandmother says 'I don't live like that' and removes the towel and gives the teenagers a small wicker basket to put her makeup in. Months later a brush is dropped by accident and a make up stain appears. The furious grandmother cleans the very small mark on the carpet and berates the teenager. She rings the girls mother and wants the teenager to move out. The teenager wants to put a towel down to stop further accidents the grandmother point blank refuses. To add to this the grandmother regularly visits the girls room and tidies it up, throws items out belonging the girl and complains it is messy. She says the teenager has no entitlement to privacy because she is living in HER house. The teenager tries to explain that her room is her personal space. The grandmother refuses to accept this. Who is right?

OP posts:
SonicBoomBoom · 26/07/2017 21:00

I think the teenager is being unreasonable about the towel. Just put it down when doing her make up and move it when finished.

The grandmother is being unreasonable about the room and lack of privacy/throwing out belongings.

SonicBoomBoom · 26/07/2017 21:01

But I suppose it depends on why the teen is living with grandma.

honeysucklejasmine · 26/07/2017 21:03

Can the teenager move?

Moanyoldcow · 26/07/2017 21:03

The girl. The grandmother is being ridiculous.

I don't understand the obsession with forcing teenagers to keep bedrooms tidy - it's their space and they have the right to privacy.

All that nonsense about towels?! Just put the towel down when doing the makeup. Such a non-issue.

Grandmother sounds rather autocratic.

FaFoutis · 26/07/2017 21:03

The teenager. Are you the teenager or the teenager's mother?

Moanyoldcow · 26/07/2017 21:06

Why does the teen live with her grandmother?

rollonthesummer · 26/07/2017 21:12

Why does the teen live with her grandmother? It sounds like the grandmother would rather have the house to herself.

TwoGhostsGoToWar · 26/07/2017 21:16

The teen lives there through choice, she wanted semi independence before heading off to uni next year. She has a great relationship with her parents, who live 1/2 a mile away. At the grandmothers she has a much larger bedroom her own bathroom and is there at night in case the grandmother needs her.

Moving a towel after each use is a great solution but I can't see the teen doing that, after all she is a teenager.

OP posts:
SonicBoomBoom · 26/07/2017 21:26

Moving a towel after each use is a great solution but I can't see the teen doing that, after all she is a teenager.

Then the teen is being very unreasonable. It's not her house. She can't just decide she prefers living away from her own family (parents) as she has a bigger bedroom and more independence, but then disregard the comfort and preferences of the grandmother about leaving her shit everywhere. That's very disrespectful.

Witsender · 26/07/2017 21:30

Teen is unreasonable if she won't put the towel away when she is done.

rollonthesummer · 26/07/2017 21:31

Teen is unreasonable if she won't put the towel away when she is done.

This.

Aquamarine1029 · 26/07/2017 21:34

It's obvious the grandmother is not mentally equipped to have a teenager living with her. She clearly doesn't have the patience, and with the teenager having a good relationship with her parents, it's ridiculous that she's living with her grandmother.

SerfTerf · 26/07/2017 21:35

It seems a bit inefficient that you send her to live there and then have to referee this kind of nonsense.

Tell her to move back home before relationships get damaged.

It's just too much of a generation gap.

RiverTam · 26/07/2017 21:36

The teen is not in her bedroom, though, is she? She's on the landing outside it.

The obvious answer is to use the towel when doing make up and folding it away neatly the rest of the time. I wouldn't wanting a make up stained towel permanently sitting on the floor of the landing.

If it was in her room it would be a different issue, but it isn't. And at the end of the day it's her grandmother's home.

Olympiathequeen · 26/07/2017 21:38

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Amee1992x · 26/07/2017 21:40

If her rooms so large can't she purchase a mirror and do her makeup in her own room near the window with natural light?

Crumbs1 · 26/07/2017 21:41

The teenager has chosen to move into Grandmothers house so must abide by her rules.

DioneTheDiabolist · 26/07/2017 21:44

Granny's house, granny's rules I'm afraid. The teenager is getting a taste of independent life there. She is discovering that she can't leave stuff lying around the floor or stain other people's carpets.

senua · 26/07/2017 21:45

What has this got to do with a 'generation gap'? It's just house-sharers who have different values.
Wait til the teenager gets to University and has to share with flatmates from hell ...

BlessYourCottonSocks · 26/07/2017 21:46

Seems to me that although the teen is there through choice grandma is finding living with her a bit of a strain. And at the end of the day it is grandma's house.

If teen doesn't like grandma's rules she can go back home presumably.

DurhamDurham · 26/07/2017 21:47

Th teen doesn't have semi independence though does she if her Grandma is tidying up after her and doesn't respect her privacy? Surely she would be better off at home if she has such a good relationship with her parents.

Mumof56 · 26/07/2017 21:48

She has her own bathroom. There is no need for toiletries to be on the landing.

Floellabumbags · 26/07/2017 21:50

If she has her own bathroom why isn't she putting her make-up on in there?

Gingerandgivingzerofucks · 26/07/2017 21:52

Granny should not be going in teenager's room to tidy/throw out her stuff, that's unreasonable. Teen should move the mirror and do makeup over the sink.

Imbeingunreasonable · 26/07/2017 21:56

Grandma's house, grandma's rules I'm afraid

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.