Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Baby bump too big

91 replies

Worriednearlymum · 07/07/2017 13:51

Posting for traffic and a hand hold.

First baby and I'm 37 weeks. So far all straightforward and I've been lucky. My normal midwife has been very supportive and not concerned with my raised bmi of over 30 as otherwise healthy and baby doing well.

Saw another midwife yesterday and she's referred me for a growth scan as bump is too big. She says it's hard to measure accurately as I'm fat and that she wants to have a check. Previously checked for DM and all ok.

Whilst I'm grateful for the NHS and availability of additional checks I'm petrified I've harmed the baby or I'm going to have a huge 12lb baby. I feel like I've let everyone down and I'm not cut out to be a mum. I've been upset since I saw her yesterday and still have until middle of next week before scan.

Has anyone else been here and it's been ok. Sorry for the long post.

OP posts:
Hammy12345 · 07/07/2017 13:53

Please don't worry, I was measuring off the scale. Baby turned out not to be huge (was actually 6lb) but I had an excess of amniotic fluid.

Worriednearlymum · 07/07/2017 13:55

Thank you. She said she thinks it's baby and not fluid! (I'm hoping she's wrong)

OP posts:
BertAndKhloe · 07/07/2017 13:57

She said it's hard to measure because you are fat?! Fingers crossed everything is ok OP?

LaurieMarlow · 07/07/2017 13:57

These things are notoriously inaccurate.

Both myself and my nct buddy were referred for scans at 34 weeks. Me because I was measuring too big. She because she was measuring too small.

Our babies were exactly the same (bang on average) size when born.

abbsisspartacus · 07/07/2017 13:57

I was big with my first she was six pounds three ounces

YouCantArgueWithStupid · 07/07/2017 13:58

My BMI is high and I was sent in because I had a small bump! She was 6lb 11oz

Worriednearlymum · 07/07/2017 13:59

She said with a raised bmi she was trying to measure through me my uterus fluid and then baby.

OP posts:
littlewoollypervert · 07/07/2017 13:59

They told me DD was huge - over 8lbs at about 36 weeks - I went to term and she was a dainty 7 lb 4 oz little thing. In the words of the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy "Don't Panic!" - you never know how it will all turn out

Blahblahbollocks96 · 07/07/2017 14:00

I had a bmi of about 24 when I fell pregnant and ended up having a 11lb 1oz baby. He was the weight of an average full term baby at 30 weeks. They tested 3 times for gestational diabetes and returned negative each time. There was no reason for him being such a big baby, he just was. Try not to worry.

SleepFreeZone · 07/07/2017 14:01

I'm sure it will be absolutely fine. They've never been accurate in my case.

Maccapacca88 · 07/07/2017 14:03

I had the opposite with both of mine. Bump measuring small, fears that they weren't getting enough nutrients etc. I was told at a growth scan for my daughter that she was only 4lbs! Both absolutely fine and over 6lbs. Ultrasound tech told me that of the women who are referred to scans for growth concerns, 90% have perfectly normal sized babies.

Unfortunately, measuring your bump is not an accurate way of measuring your baby. Even the scans are hit and miss. We are all so different and carry in our own unique way. Please try not to panic too much Smile

kaytee87 · 07/07/2017 14:03

It's hard to measure on anyone not just overweight people. They get it wrong all the time.
My friend was induced 2 weeks early due to a 'huge' baby, she had a horrendous 3 day labour that ended up with interventions. Baby was fucking 7lbs. I was so angry for her.
Take it with a pinch of salt.

kaytee87 · 07/07/2017 14:04

I had a growth scan. Was told 90th centile or more and he was 75th centile so big but not enormous.

BaskingTrout · 07/07/2017 14:06

I measured absolutely huge in terms of bump size with both of mine, strangers would literally stop me in the street. The last fundal height measurement I had with DS was at 38 weeks, and I was miles off the top of the charts. Plus I had a high BMI.
I was sent for lots of growth scans, and the babies measured big each time.
DD was 8.2 and DS was 8.7
My friend has recently had loads of growth scans for measuring small. Her DS was 8.7 too.
It's a very inexact science. And the midwife is rude for calling you fat. Don't get stressed!

BellyBean · 07/07/2017 14:09

DD1 was 9lb and if you track my graph dd2 is likely to be 10-11lb. It's hard to be accurate, but I can tell you I had a v reasonable birth despite being induced for going overdue, with just gas and air so just because she was big doesn't mean a difficult labour.

Don't worry about the scan, it's just because it's really hard to measure bumps at the best of times.

BlahBlahBlahEtc · 07/07/2017 14:10

They thought my baby was about 4lbs, even after growth scans and all that.. She was 7lb when born. Don't worry, they get measurements wrong a lot!

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll · 07/07/2017 14:12

I had an additional scan as the midwife said I was measuring significantly larger than expected - the clinic told me she needs to learn how to use a tape measure as baby was fine. Afterwards I thought that it was a nice chance to get an extra scan to see baby. Good luck!

alltouchedout · 07/07/2017 14:13

I was told my bump with ds1 was huge. He was 7lb 11oz at 42+1. Bump measurement is very inexact!

ohhhhhshit · 07/07/2017 14:14

I measured big with DS2. He was 8lb.

I measured spot on with DS1. He was 10lb 4oz Grin

Honestly, don't stress. These measurements are guesstimates at best and are frequently wrong.

cjt110 · 07/07/2017 14:18

I think, iirc, they say you can measure a few cms either way. I assume she means its past that? I have no relevant experience as I never measured outside of that range but didnt want to read and run. I measured spot on for my weeks... DS was 8lb11. I'm 5ft and was a size 10. Size of Mum doesnt mean anything regarding baby weight as far as my experience goes.

Goingtobeawesome · 07/07/2017 14:19

I was sent for a scan as I was measuring too big. Baby proedicted to be 9-10lbs.

Baby born the next day, at 38 weeks, weighing 6 lb 12.5 oz.

However, I did have polyhydromnious though this wasn't discovered until they cut me open. Baby had already stopped moving sufficiently. I was being tested for obstetric cholestasis too.

My advice, ignore the fat comments. Rude cow. Keep an eye on your baby's movements and if they decrease or increase, I.e. Change in any way, go and be monitored.

Zaphodsotherhead · 07/07/2017 14:20

I was average size with DD1, nobody worried, normal sized bump etc...

she was 5lb 4oz., causing everyone to go into meltdown and ask me if I'd smoked during pregnancy (I hadn't).

Inexact science, as everyone says.

ExConstance · 07/07/2017 14:22

My second was 10lb but I had a very comfortable birth (at home) I was the size of a house and could barely walk at the end. Not saying this to alarm you just to reassure you a big baby is not always difficult to get out.

Louiselouie0890 · 07/07/2017 14:23

If she's just measured it with the tape I wouldn't worry those things are absolutely rubbish for measurements.

Worriednearlymum · 07/07/2017 14:23

Thank you for the reassurance that I'm not a terrible person and also that large babies aren't always too hard to deliver! Much appreciated

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.